Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 09:00 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,848,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by taimaishu View Post
Seriously. They can't vacuum the vents once in a while? Replace a dead Smoke Detector battery? Why the hell did they decided to break off a door knob? Why is a freaking light bulb missing in the bathroom?

All my units failed inspections due to some of the most ridiclous reasons.

I mean, they were given several months advance notice of when the inspection was coming. You think they would do something like clean up and replace the batteries on a chirping alarm.

Do they NOT want to pass inspection? You know how many freaking people are waiting in line willing to take their spot?

Am I suppose to hold their hands throughout this process?
Why are YOU trying to paint ALL section 8 in a bad light? There are good sec 8 people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2017, 12:06 PM

600 posts, read 567,270 times
Seriously, replacing a smoke detector battery is my responsibility. lol okay.

I'll replace the battery, vacuum the vents for you, clean the grease filter.

In return, I'll take away the free washer and dryer. Which is costing me over $375 a month in electricity and water.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:58 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,035,541 times
Well, you must be very new to the game. The tenants do not care if they fail the inspection. They may even think they do not need to pay their share of the rent if the inspection shows you are a slum landlord and the house is not fit to live in.

Set it up now--YOU go in monthly and inspect each unit. Plane in batteries with a marker date placed on them for each smoke detector. Bring a battery operated hand vacuum and vacuum the air intakes for each month, change the filters if you need to. Check the plumbing for leaks, the appliances for function and the house for damage.

Your renters will not care about your house. Its not theirs. They do not care about the inspections. In their minds they reflect on you not them.

Old 04-21-2017, 03:00 PM

13,131 posts, read 21,011,866 times
Quote:
Seriously, replacing a smoke detector battery is my responsibility.
Yes, On January 1 , 2014 SB745 went into effect. The revision required all property owners (prior it was only those with 5 or more units) to install, test and maintain smoke detectors. Landlords can no longer place battery replacement on the shoulders of tenants. You are also required to test those smoke detectors once a year and maintain a log of all test and maintenance performed. This change occurred over 3 years ago.

Old 04-21-2017, 03:03 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,848,328 times
Quote:

In return, I'll take away the free washer and dryer. Which is costing me over $375 a month in electricity and water.
Thanks! Do you want my address?

Old 04-21-2017, 04:38 PM

586 posts, read 555,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Yes, On January 1 , 2014 SB745 went into effect. The revision required all property owners (prior it was only those with 5 or more units) to install, test and maintain smoke detectors. Landlords can no longer place battery replacement on the shoulders of tenants. You are also required to test those smoke detectors once a year and maintain a log of all test and maintenance performed. This change occurred over 3 years ago.
Oops.

Old 04-21-2017, 05:34 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,558,160 times
Quote:
How the hell am I on welfare?
Indirectly. You're accepting a tenant that lives on a government subsidy. That comes with strings.

Quote:

Yeah seriously it is your responsibility. I go once every 6 months to dona basic inspection. Once a year it's a more thorough inspection for anything broken missing etc. After we had high winds and large amount of rain I go check fro missing broken tiles or water leaks. I had a lot of repairs this year due to the rains we had.

Are you required to offer a washer and dryer? Are you required to pay the utilities with sec 8? I don't accept Sec 8 and never will.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:18 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,243,031 times
Quote:
How the hell am I on welfare?
If you could have gotten a non-Section 8 tenant then you would have. You are relying on the government to pay the rent you are seeking for your sub-standard housing which means you are on welfare. Slumlords normally are.

Quote:

$375 a month for a washer and dryer? What garbage machines from the 50s are you using? MAYBE if they were running 24/7 it could get that high but I don't pay that for my entire household for electricity, gas, and water and we are home all day, have 2 A/C units, 2 full kitchens, and 2 laundry rooms so we use way more than the average household.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
That is actually funny this OP is complaining about running a red light and getting a ticket for it in another thread and here he is complaining about his other legal responsibilities.

Old 04-21-2017, 06:19 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Sorry, OP, but that is how the section 8 game is played. It sounds like your tenants are better than most. If you want the government check you have to put up with the government nonsense and with tenants who feel no responsibility and think the world owes them.

Hang around with landlords for awhile and you will discover that most landlords refuse to get involved with Section 8. It's not so much the tenants as it is dealing with the housing authority.

Old 04-22-2017, 01:31 AM

600 posts, read 567,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
If you could have gotten a non-Section 8 tenant then you would have. You are relying on the government to pay the rent you are seeking for your sub-standard housing which means you are on welfare. Slumlords normally are.

$375 a month for a washer and dryer? What garbage machines from the 50s are you using? MAYBE if they were running 24/7 it could get that high but I don't pay that for my entire household for electricity, gas, and water and we are home all day, have 2 A/C units, 2 full kitchens, and 2 laundry rooms so we use way more than the average household.

That is actually funny this OP is complaining about running a red light and getting a ticket for it in another thread and here he is complaining about his other legal responsibilities.

$375 includes the water bill I pay for all 4 units.

Substandard housing? LOL, do you know how strict HUD is? The apartment I am renting out to section 8 tenants are probably in better condition than the house you currently rent.

Rent is $2300 per unit. 3 bed, 2 baths. Moderator cut: personal remarks

Last edited by Marka; 04-26-2017 at 01:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting