Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 03:08 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,734,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by taimaishu View Post
$2300 is not expensive? How long have you been on this forum. Since all the post's I've been reading are people crying about how a $1500 rent is too expensive at that 20 years ago, rent was only $800.
Apples and oranges. $1500 is high for a one bedroom in 99% of the US. $1500 is in the average range for a 2 bed, 1 bath for the majority of the country. You are talking 3 bed, 2 bath.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2017, 03:15 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,954,808 times
Quote:
Seriously, replacing a smoke detector battery is my responsibility. lol okay.

I'll replace the battery, vacuum the vents for you, clean the grease filter.

In return, I'll take away the free washer and dryer. Which is costing me over $375 a month in electricity and water.

No one "needs" a w/d in their apartment. There are plenty of laundromats around.

Smoke detectors, OTOH, are required by law most places, as are CO detectors. My landlord is a retired firefighter, and he doesn't want tenants messing with them, but to let him know when they need servicing.

Old 04-22-2017, 07:47 PM

7 posts, read 5,434 times
First of all I hate people who think everyone on government assistance are lazy jerks. I was on assistance because I needed it and appreciate the help..and guess what? I wasn't a lazy dirty jerk. Stop comparing and assuming!

Old 04-22-2017, 08:44 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,785,266 times
If sec 8 tenants were capable responsible people, they wouldn't be on sec 8. Do a walk through on your units beforehand, replace batteries, do the minor repairs required. Have tools, batteries, parts on hand as you accompany inspector, and fix what you can while he's still there. Deduct from their deposit anything major, and demand they then bring back up the deposit to full. Or stop taking sec 8, and terminate their leases. But if you're gonna rent to them, accept that many of them are the lowest of the low.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:27 PM

902 posts, read 863,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longer643 View Post
First of all I hate people who think everyone on government assistance are lazy jerks. I was on assistance because I needed it and appreciate the help..and guess what? I wasn't a lazy dirty jerk. Stop comparing and assuming!
Longer, I grew up on section 8. Most of the folks on section 8 are lazy entitled losers. It's challenging to escape. If I didn't have parents with such high expectations, it's likely I would have grown up as another welfare baby.

The only thing I can definitively see as a difference maker is that I wanted more in life. Ambition comes from within. It likely helped that my folks escaped section 8 during my childhood due to their work ethic.

Congrats on being one of the few younger people that achieved escape velocity. Any pointers for the others on how you did it?

Old 04-22-2017, 10:16 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
Longer, I grew up on section 8. Most of the folks on section 8 are lazy entitled losers. It's challenging to escape. If I didn't have parents with such high expectations, it's likely I would have grown up as another welfare baby.

The only thing I can definitively see as a difference maker is that I wanted more in life. Ambition comes from within. It likely helped that my folks escaped section 8 during my childhood due to their work ethic.

Congrats on being one of the few younger people that achieved escape velocity. Any pointers for the others on how you did it?

Where will ambition get someone without money? Like my ambition was to become a lawyer but I couldn't afford law school.

Old 04-23-2017, 01:05 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
Quote:
Real repairs? I've done all those "real repairs". Which is why I can't understand why something as little as a battery, they won't replace it or call me up and say, "yo, SD is chirping, we have inspection in a week, can you buy some batteries".

Such as fixing a major pipe leak, redoing tiles, replacing tubs, toilets, crappy bi-fold closet doors. etc etc.

Heck, one of the fails include a few chips in the bat tub. I will be repairing / replacing that. But I only mention the stuff that the tenants can do themselves. Like vacuuming a clogged vent, or replacing a battery.
Dude you're making a big deal out of nothing. When I go look over a rental I always have batteries. I started using those detectors with 10 year batteries. I check them yearly and I carry a few extras

Here is what I learned about tenants. They are only going to call when they are bothered enough. That's why I do inspections every four months. Because I dont always expect my tenants to call about repairs. While I always ask for them to inform me of any issues they sometimes don't. Usualy when I go there they say hey this is also broken. How long has it been like this. A few months. Unless it's leaking or flat out broken some people aren't gonna give it much thought. They just aren't. And they aren't going to call until it's a inconvenience. You're expecting people to be conscientious and vigilant. It's not skyways gonna happen.

im not gonna argue what is or isn't high rent. In your area $2300 may be high.

Old 04-23-2017, 06:27 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
If sec 8 tenants were capable responsible people, they wouldn't be on sec 8. Do a walk through on your units beforehand, replace batteries, do the minor repairs required. Have tools, batteries, parts on hand as you accompany inspector, and fix what you can while he's still there. Deduct from their deposit anything major, and demand they then bring back up the deposit to full. Or stop taking sec 8, and terminate their leases. But if you're gonna rent to them, accept that many of them are the lowest of the low.

??? ??? ??? ??? ??? Elderly and disabled people can't be capable responsible people if they're on Sec 8?

Old 04-23-2017, 06:35 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,030,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Where will ambition get someone without money? Like my ambition was to become a lawyer but I couldn't afford law school.

Ambition=money. You have no ambition, therefore you have no money.

Old 04-23-2017, 06:49 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Ambition=money. You have no ambition, therefore you have no money.
Tumble outta bed and I stumble to the kitchen
Pour myself a cup of ambition
Yawn and stretch and try to come to life

Jump in the shower and the blood starts pumpin'
Out on the street the traffic starts jumpin'
With folks like me on the job from 9 to 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaERHs8Q93E
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting