Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2017, 10:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,009 times

Advertisements

My girlfriend has been scraping money every month to get by. She pays the rent every month. We have called the housing place about roaches. We have called and "confirmed" an appointment like four months ago but we still have roaches. May 1st they bomb the apartment, and guess what? May 9th we have roaches. She lives in CA. Can she withold rent until they fix it? We have given them sufficient time to fix the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 10:43 AM

20,125 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christofn05 View Post
My girlfriend has been scraping money every month to get by. She pays the rent every month. We have called the housing place about roaches. We have called and "confirmed" an appointment like four months ago but we still have roaches. May 1st they bomb the apartment, and guess what? May 9th we have roaches. She lives in CA. Can she withold rent until they fix it? We have given them sufficient time to fix the issue.
Probably not, they have been taking actions. Send them a letter letting them know you still have roaches and they will need to up their game, they might have to get an actual exterminator in this time. It is not really their fault if she has Spartan cockroaches but they need to continue taking actions. If she is in a multi-unit place it may be the neighbors and they will need to do the entire building at once.

Just a warning, she can't just withhold rent, she will need to pay the rent to an escrow account.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:58 AM

586 posts, read 554,193 times
No. Read some other threads to see what happens if you decide to withhold rent.

I had mice and ants in an apartment and was forced to put everything non-canned into the fridge—the ants were attracted to a leak in the dishwasher. I poisoned them repeatedly and fed my dog and cleaned up all traces of anything edible. It took some time, but the bugs finally went away. Your behavior may actually be contributing to the issue, so be aware of what is left out for bugs and vermin to snack on. They will only come around places where there is food, or places that haven't been bombed.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:21 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
For $10, you can buy a tube of Combat Gel. Follow the instructions on the package. I don't care how broke you are, you can come up with $10 to get rid of roaches instead of just living with them. Give up coffee or something else to get rid of the roaches.

No, she can not withhold rent unless her fondest desire is to be evicted and spend the next many years having a very difficult time finding a place to live..

Hey, I've got an idea. She's your girlfriend. You pay the $10 for the tube of Combat Gel and wrap a ribbon around it and give it to her as a gift. Tell her that you care enough about her to help her get rid of the roaches.

(sure the landlord should do it, but he isn't and for $10 you can get rid of the roaches, so why would you prefer to live with them?)

Old 05-09-2017, 11:25 AM

586 posts, read 554,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
For $10, you can buy a tube of Combat Gel. Follow the instructions on the package. I dion't care how brike you arem, you can come up with $10 to get rid of roaches instead of just living with them. Give up coffee or soemething else to get rid of the roaches.

No, she can not withhold rent unless her fondest desire is to be evicted and spend the next many years having a very difficult time finding a place to live.

Hey, I've got an idea. She's your girlfriend. You pay the $10 for the tube of Combat Gel and wrap a ribbon around it and give it to her as a gift. Tell her that you care enough about her to help her get rid of the roaches.

(sure the landlord should do it, but he isn't and for $10 you can get rid of the roaches, so why would you prefer to lvie with them?)
Darling! You shouldn't have.

Old 05-09-2017, 05:33 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Advion Gel works better than Combat Gel. I used Combat gel and traps with no success. When I put out the Advion Gel and traps, along with boric acid tablets, they disappeared.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:10 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
You can't withhold rent. Vermin and bugs are the LLs responsibility. As long as they are doing a ongoing bug/vermin eradication program you can't withold rent.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:15 PM

539 posts, read 566,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
For $10, you can buy a tube of Combat Gel. Follow the instructions on the package. I don't care how broke you are, you can come up with $10 to get rid of roaches instead of just living with them. Give up coffee or something else to get rid of the roaches.

No, she can not withhold rent unless her fondest desire is to be evicted and spend the next many years having a very difficult time finding a place to live..

(sure the landlord should do it, but he isn't and for $10 you can get rid of the roaches, so why would you prefer to live with them?)
Lololol. +1

Old 05-10-2017, 03:58 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
So, your gf is having money issues and bug issues? You do realize that these issues having nothing to do with each other, right?

If she has roaches, she needs to clean her unit. Top to bottom. Use bleach when you can, put all foods in plastic tupperware (bugs LOVE cardboard boxes) don't leave dishes out, clean under the sink, clean the dishwasher out. Roaches can be hard to get rid of because if she has them, then her neighbors do as well. They are there because there is a food/water source in your bf's unit.

She needs to continue to ask for pest control, clean her unit and buy some bombs, paste or gel for herself. She also needs to get her finances under control...that's not the landlord's problem, that's hers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting