Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 02:16 PM

15 posts, read 10,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Looks like the LL only has to give you 30 days, yet you say he is giving you 60. Take it, be grateful, and leave.

Guess so, just a hassle to rent in California especially southern area, just thought there might be loopholes that allowed us to continue living for longer than 30-60 days since we only have the one least 6 six years ago and have been model tenants, I'll make sure to read more about the rights of tenants but it goes over my head and just thought you fine folks had similar issues and a lawyer told you how to proceed, dang lawyer fees too expensive to hire one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 02:22 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,033,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadVillain View Post
I appreciate the responses guys, the lease agreement we signed was the only one six years ago, haven't received a new one in all this time. Just wanted to know worst case scenario, I've heard some stories where tenants basically squat in homes for months and get away with it, but being model tenants we are basically told to **** off after 60 days? I thought the laws in California were more lenient towards renters.
More lenient than a 60-day notice on a month-to-month tenancy?

Old 05-09-2017, 02:30 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,580,323 times
If you don't leave in the 60 day period, and leave with property in good condition and rent paid, you run the risk of being evicted or sued for damages. As renters, you don't want an eviction on your record. 60 days is extremely lenient so best to count yourself lucky instead of complaining.

Last edited by Harpaint; 05-09-2017 at 03:23 PM..

Old 05-09-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
More lenient than a 60-day notice on a month-to-month tenancy?
Guess even though we live in a liberal state the laws are still conservative so to say. I was just wondering if there was more we could do, the stories I've heard where people basically weren't paying rent or squatting and yet lived for months at a residence got me thinking what benefits model tenants can get for never been late on payments and keeping the home in pristine condition. Oh well.

Thanks for all the quick responses guys. I'll make sure to save this forum for future topics I need help in.

Old 05-09-2017, 02:32 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
Start actively looking for your next rental ASAP. Yes, you can probably go to court and drag this out and manage to stay a little longer. But no LL will ever rent to you again if they see that you've been in LL-tenant court, for ANY reason, even if you paid all the rent. So tell the guy, thanks for the good six years, let him know you're actively looking, find a new place quickly, clean up and get out. Leave the place in better condition than you found it. Be nice and respectful to the old LL, and he'll give you a good reference, which is priceless.

You have to understand, no matter how long you've been there, and how wonderful tenants you have been, he owns the building, not you, and unless you have a lease that's not up yet (which you don't), if he asks you to move, you move!

Old 05-09-2017, 02:44 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
I appreciate the responses guys, the lease agreement we signed was the only one six years ago, haven't received a new one in all this time. Just wanted to know worst case scenario, I've heard some stories where tenants basically squat in homes for months and get away with it, but being model tenants we are basically told to **** off after 60 days? I thought the laws in California were more lenient towards renters.
You are on a month-to-month lease, so yes, he only has to give you a 60-day notice. My guess is you were getting the family friend discount and he is no longer willing to help you out that way. You might be in for sticker shock at prices when you go look for new housing. But, listen, be an adult, leave the place in good condition, vacate when you are supposed to, and be appreciative of the six years you have gotten to live in a nice home with no landlord issues instead of focusing on how "unfair" you think this termination of residency is.

I am curious, how much has that rent raised in those six years?

Old 05-09-2017, 02:45 PM

539 posts, read 566,881 times
0_o

Lol. Okay.

After everything I've heard, this has got to be one of the pettiest. Guy's giving you a break. You might want to say, "thank you for letting us live in your home for 6 years" instead of being all salty about it.

Old 05-09-2017, 02:53 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Guess even though we live in a liberal state the laws are still conservative so to say. I was just wondering if there was more we could do, the stories I've heard where people basically weren't paying rent or squatting and yet lived for months at a residence got me thinking what benefits model tenants can get for never been late on payments and keeping the home in pristine condition. Oh well.

Thanks for all the quick responses guys. I'll make sure to save this forum for future topics I need help in.
You keep mentioning that you are a "model tenant", yet the only things you talk about are paying on time and keeping the place kept up. That's not "model", that's "expected". You're acting like paying rent on time is above and beyond.

It's a business transaction. You owe rent on the 1st, you pay it on the first. You live there, you don't destroy the place. If the owner wants his property back, you must leave.

Sounds like you think you should be able to live there for free, just because you live in a liberal state. That's called stealing.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigratingCoconut View Post
0_o

Lol. Okay.

After everything I've heard, this has got to be one of the pettiest. Guy's giving you a break. You might want to say, "thank you for letting us live in your home for 6 years" instead of being all salty about it.

Who says I'm being "petty" about the situation I'm just trying to find out if anyone has had a similar experience and can advise me on necessary steps. Did I say anything to suggest I'm being petty about it? It's not like I said F the LL or I'm going to stop paying him and destroy his property as revenge for asking me to leave, all I asked was my future options as I've never been in a situation like this. If you don't have anything positive to contribute then I suggest you keep your opinions to yourself.

Old 05-09-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
You keep mentioning that you are a "model tenant", yet the only things you talk about are paying on time and keeping the place kept up. That's not "model", that's "expected". You're acting like paying rent on time is above and beyond.

It's a business transaction. You owe rent on the 1st, you pay it on the first. You live there, you don't destroy the place. If the owner wants his property back, you must leave.

Sounds like you think you should be able to live there for free, just because you live in a liberal state. That's called stealing.
So you wouldn't call someone your renting you place to a "model tenant" someone who pays his rent on time, pays to fix his own problems (plumbing, etc.) Never had a complaint from neighbors or cops called to the house, and keeps the home in the same condition they received it. Guess there's no such thing as a bad tenant then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting