Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 03:21 PM

2,955 posts, read 1,413,419 times

Advertisements

I am feeling very annoyed with my landlady right now.

Just a little while ago, I saw a worker man outside my living room window and asked him what he was doing. He said he was to wash windows for number "100", but I'm "102". So he says he is only to do 100's windows, not 102's windows. Then he mentions my screens are horrible and need to be replaced and will inform my landlady.

I emailed my landlady to ask if my windows are supposed to be washed as well and she said no, just hers. Then she tossed out to let her know if I need my screens repaired. I told her about the screens TWO YEARS ago, which were ripped to shreds when after a huge snowstorm her husband shoveled icy snow off the roof which tore my screens. In the summer, I put duct tape on the holes to keep the bugs out. She is already aware of this.

I also need my place repainted, since from that same snow storm, an ice dam formed, water leaked through my kitchen and basically the ceiling in my kitchen and part of my living room adjacent to the kitchen is completely peeling. I have pulled large pieces of peeling paint off, so now there are "bald" patches in the ceiling. Looks horrible.

I could go on and on about my list of complaints. I just need to vent because I want to write her a nasty email back about my list of things that need to be taken care of (which she fully well knows already about) and hasn't lifted a finger in 2 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 04:24 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
I'm trying to figure out how your window screens were damaged - they are INSIDE your house, inside the window - I would guess you didn't have your windows open during a snowstorm?

Old 05-11-2017, 04:32 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,056,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I'm trying to figure out how your window screens were damaged - they are INSIDE your house, inside the window - I would guess you didn't have your windows open during a snowstorm?
???

Screens are on the outside of the window.

To the OP, send a polite, matter to the fact, letter listing everything. Send it certified so you know the received it. Now you have an official paper trail if she tries to charge you for things after you move out.

Old 05-11-2017, 04:40 PM

314 posts, read 237,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
???

Screens are on the outside of the window.

To the OP, send a polite, matter to the fact, letter listing everything. Send it certified so you know the received it. Now you have an official paper trail if she tries to charge you for things after you move out.
Some have screens on the inside, most have on the outside, the other poster might have them inside

Old 05-11-2017, 04:42 PM

The screens are on the outside and you can pop them out, which is what the window washer was about to do when I questioned him. The ice snow, thrown off the roof, piled about 5 feet outside my living room windows and tore all the screens up.

I communicate mostly via email to my landlady so I have all the emails of my various complaints about the screens, paint, rodents, the oven, the sink, etc...

I suspect she is "getting back" at me because she holds a grudge that she feels I am paying way below market for this high priced area and has decided to not do any updates. However, a lot of those expensive units are freshly painted, have A/C, dishwasher and other amenities that I don't.

I have been here 11 years so the appliances and everything are now getting run down and older. She has made $150,000 or so over the years from me, so I have hardly cheated her.

Anyway, it's becoming clear to me, I really need to not re-sign the lease this year.

Last edited by Taffee72; 05-11-2017 at 05:48 PM..

Old 05-11-2017, 05:08 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
I am feeling very annoyed with my landlady right now.

Just a little while ago, I saw a worker man outside my living room window and asked him what he was doing. He said he was to wash windows for number "100", but I'm "102". So he says he is only to do 100's windows, not 102's windows. Then he mentions my screens are horrible and need to be replaced and will inform my landlady.

I emailed my landlady to ask if my windows are supposed to be washed as well and she said no, just hers. Then she tossed out to let her know if I need my screens repaired. I told her about the screens TWO YEARS ago, which were ripped to shreds when after a huge snowstorm her husband shoveled icy snow off the roof which tore my screens. In the summer, I put duct tape on the holes to keep the bugs out. She is already aware of this.

I also need my place repainted, since from that same snow storm, an ice dam formed, water leaked through my kitchen and basically the ceiling in my kitchen and part of my living room adjacent to the kitchen is completely peeling. I have pulled large pieces of peeling paint off, so now there are "bald" patches in the ceiling. Looks horrible.

I could go on and on about my list of complaints. I just need to vent because I want to write her a nasty email back about my list of things that need to be taken care of (which she fully well knows already about) and hasn't lifted a finger in 2 years.

You don't write nasty emails to get things fixed. You simply msje them aware of the problems. If they don't want to fix the issues then you give notice and move out.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:19 PM

I'm not writing any nasty emails. I have written matter-of-fact emails informing her throughout the years of various things.

This place is similar to a duplex, the landlady can see right into my windows and is in my unit several times a year. So she is very aware of the peeling paint, broken blinds, screens and the duct tape everywhere to keep out the rodents and things like that.

It's not like she is an absentee landlord faraway and doesn't understand. We live in the same building. She is intentionally not fixing things, it has become very obvious to me.

Even the thing with the windows, having hers washed but not mine. She is fully maintaining and repairing her half but not mine.

Old 05-11-2017, 05:26 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
I'm not writing any nasty emails. I have written matter-of-fact emails informing her throughout the years of various things.

This place is similar to a duplex, the landlady can see right into my windows and is in my unit several times a year. So she is very aware of the peeling paint, broken blinds, screens and the duct tape everywhere to keep out the rodents and things like that.

It's not like she is an absentee landlord faraway and doesn't understand. We live in the same building. She is intentionally not fixing things, it has become very obvious to me.

Even the thing with the windows, having hers washed but not mine. She is fully maintaining and repairing her half but not mine.
You just said you wanted to write her a nasty email.

Anyway

She obviously doesn't want to do any maintenance repairs. Unless the repair is a habitability issue they are not required to repair. Stupid but true. She's maintaining her side but not yours. You have a
LL that doesn't much care about anything but getting that monthly rent from you.

So you have two choices
Live with a rental in a state of disrepair with a LL who doesn't care
Or
Give notice and move out.

She's most likely hoping you would move so she can up the rent more

Old 05-11-2017, 05:44 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
I'm not writing any nasty emails.
I have written matter-of-fact emails informing her throughout the years of various things.

She is intentionally not fixing things, it has become very obvious to me.
Even the thing with the windows, having hers washed but not mine.
How far below the rather high Cambridge market rate rent are you paying?

Old 05-11-2017, 06:16 PM

The rent is around $1300 per month.

I do agree that she is probably hoping I move out as I think she wants to raise the rent by $400 dollars a month. And I am certainly not going to pay that and especially not in the state that this place is in.

The place would need to have the stove, blinds and screens fixed and everything repainted for me to even consider paying 200 to 300 more per month. I doubt the landlady will do all that, so I'll have to leave.

Then she'll have to do all those repairs anyway in order to attract a good renter who will pay a lot more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting