Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 10:24 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I am a LL. I only accept checks, cash or payments made electronically through a website designed for rent payments. Technically this comes from a bank account, so its the same as check or cash. Seriously if you have to charge your rent on a credit card you are probably not someone I would think was financially secure enough to rent to.

Or maybe your rent is too high?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 10:27 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Our last unit was in a complex and they charged $24 for paying online No thanks, I'll just walk to the office and drop off my check.

If I were faced with a $24 charge for a debit payment I'd walk to the office and pay with $1 bills.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:28 AM

3,248 posts, read 2,454,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Maybe The Rent Is Too High?
Anyone who signs a lease agrees to pay the stated rent. Its a legally binding agreement.

If your rent is $200 a month or $2000 you typically have to submit paystubs or some other proof that you can afford it. So if you are paying with a credit card AFTER you have legally agreed to pay my rent AND provided proof of the ability to afford it, that sends me a signal that maybe you aren't budgeting well.

The vast majority of tenants will pay straight out of a bank account. Though I can see that there may be certain credit cards that offer "points". I don't have the option of paying for my mortgage or buying a house on a credit card.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:29 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,050,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Maybe renters need to adopt the same mindset, organize, and hire agents?
Go for it.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:49 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,018,259 times
Why do you want to use a cc? If it's bc you don't have the money then get a 0% interest check from the cc company, deposit into your account and get a cashiers check. If it's for points then I guess you could ask about using PayPal.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:53 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
Most of the time you aren't going to see small or private landlords who take credit card payments. It's likely not worth their time and any fees they might have to pay.

However, larger companies are tending more and more toward offering credit card pmt/debit as a 'perk' of renting there. Unfortunately for the renter, at least part of the fee is usually passed along for the convenience.
This place is run by GREYSTAR its ALL over! So yes I was a bit miffed that they didn't except Credit/Debit cards. After all the Gov puts my SSD on a Dang Credit/Debit card!

Old 07-11-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Why do you want to use a cc? If it's bc you don't have the money then get a 0% interest check from the cc company, deposit into your account and get a cashiers check. If it's for points then I guess you could ask about using PayPal.
SEE Post #16 Has nothing to do with Points!

Old 07-11-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
I am a LL. I only accept checks, cash or payments made electronically through a website designed for rent payments. Technically this comes from a bank account, so its the same as check or cash. Seriously if you have to charge your rent on a credit card you are probably not someone I would think was financially secure enough to rent to.
Then what is the Point in You wanting to check peeps Credit Scores for???

Old 07-11-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
I would love to be able to put my mortgage on a credit card for the points.

As far as I can tell, there's no free lunch. I would have to purchase a credit card reader for my phone and there are fees associated with it that I would also pass on to the renter. That would negate any advantage I can see for the renter just as any lender would likely charge a fee to pay a mortgage with a credit card.

That being said, I did have a landlord years back that let me pay by credit card and didn't charge me extra. She was a small business owner.
When I was younger I Paid OFF my mortgage 1 year early with a Credit Card! You are SOOO behind the times

BTW When Kevin got hurt & lost his job I Paid his Mortgage with my Credit Card Several times!

Last edited by Katie1; 07-11-2017 at 11:17 AM..

Old 07-11-2017, 11:01 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,018,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
SEE Post #16 Has nothing to do with Points!
Is putting the SSD on debit card the only option? They can't direct deposit to a checking account? I'm not familiar with SSD but I know other gvt payments like UI, SS, VA goes to bank accounts. Ally bank has free checking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting