Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 09:38 PM

2 posts, read 1,268 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone my name is Martha and I am a landlord in the town of Islip, Long Island New York. I have been renting out my basement apartment to someone for the last 9 years. My tenant claims to have some problems that I didn't take care of and I raised rent .. he offered me a check and I refused it because I only take cash since I am renting out an illegal apartment. Now he hasn't paid rent in over 2 months. I have never had problems with my tenants in all the years that he has been living here, just recently he hasn't paid rent and now I am taking him to court for the rent that he owes me and I would like to evict him as well. We have court in 1 week and I also got a lawyer. Will the judge make him pay me back all of the rent he owns? and how long will the judge allow this tenant to live in my basement apartment, basically how long does the evection process take? I never had a permit to rent out my apartment, is there a possibility that I will get fined for this? I would like my rent money, I gave him a 3 day notice from the lawyer with the amount he owes, now I am taking him to court. He says he never knew the place was illegal until I refused the check. but I am afraid that I will get in trouble for it being illegal. I did some research and I believe the tenant will be find, not me. I heard that I will only get fined if the tenant reports me to the IRS. Is this true? Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 10:01 PM

902 posts, read 862,856 times
Your attorney advised you about tax evasion, correct? Did they mention anything about having clean hands in court? Yours are pretty dirty.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:22 PM

2 posts, read 1,268 times
Well my lawyer told me it didn't matter if it was illegal or not, I can still evict and possibly get rent that is owed. What if I got the basement apartment legalized before the court date? What will be the outcome for both me and my tenant? I certainly hope the judge will not allow him to live here rent free, I'm hoping my tenant doesn't ask for "some time" to move. What if that's the case? And will the judge ask me to pay for moving expenses? And am I supposed to have his security deposit in a bank account earning interest? I don't have his security deposit at the moment, my lawyer stated on the 3 day notice that security can not be used as rent and the tenant can't live out the security.

Any advice or answers on this?

Old 08-14-2017, 10:34 PM

14,472 posts, read 12,101,318 times
You have a lawyer. What is he for if not to answer and give advice on these questions?

I don't think you'll have luck collecting back rent on an illegal apartment (courts don't like to enforce illegal contracts) but you ought to be able to evict him.

Old 08-14-2017, 11:59 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,836,700 times
As a landlord on LI for the past 40 years, I can tell you a few things....

1. You can have him evicted, but you will not get back rent. You broke the law and you can not benifit from that.

2. It take a long time and thousands of dollars to get a basement apartment legalized in Suffolk county.

3. Unless you rent more than 6 units, you are not required to have the deposit in an interest bearing account.

4. The town of Islip will find out that you are renting an illegal unit. The last time I checked, the fine for that is $1000.00.

5. If the IRS finds out, you can be arrested and/or fined for tax evasion. Not likely... but I've seen it happen.

6. Be happy that the tenant is not suing you for moving expenses and all rent paid on an illegal unit.

Finally....get yourself another lawyer.

Old 08-15-2017, 04:29 AM

420 posts, read 403,217 times
Of greater concern is the fact that you "don't have his security deposit at the moment".

If I were you, I'd find a way to get all this aboveboard, or sell that house.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:12 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,211,406 times
I would simply get him out without going to court, even if you have to give him some money to move. It sounds like going to court to collect back rent on an illegal apartment would be an admittance of guilt on your part.

If it were me, I'd offer him a 1000.00 to move. And I wouldn't rent the apartment out until I got it legal.

Scary situation imo. Please keep us posted.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:30 AM

9,853 posts, read 7,724,981 times
This attorney doesn't sound like he has experience in this area. I can't believe he would risk putting you in front of a judge when you don't have clean hands.

If I was the tenant, I'd counter sue you for all the rent he paid you because it was an illegal apartment.

I agree with the above, pay him to leave and don't go to court.

Old 08-15-2017, 02:38 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,236,885 times
Quick internet search says you can collect back rent, article below. Took me all of three minutes so your lawyer should have been capable enough to answer the question.

I don't typically help people who break the law and evade taxes but you are about to **** someone off and I hope they do their civic duty and report you to the IRS, the city/county, and anyone else who can set you straight.

Can a Landlord Collect Rent on an Illegal Apartment in Nassau County or Suffolk County? - Murtha Law Firm, LLC

Old 08-15-2017, 04:17 PM

9,853 posts, read 7,724,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
Quick internet search says you can collect back rent, article below. Took me all of three minutes so your lawyer should have been capable enough to answer the question.

I don't typically help people who break the law and evade taxes but you are about to **** someone off and I hope they do their civic duty and report you to the IRS, the city/county, and anyone else who can set you straight.

Can a Landlord Collect Rent on an Illegal Apartment in Nassau County or Suffolk County? - Murtha Law Firm, LLC
That's a good find! I wonder what her town will fine her for 9 years of renting illegally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting