Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2017, 05:36 PM

71 posts, read 63,708 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine recently rented an apt in a rent stabilized building. The apt was to be renovated but the landlord refused to itemize renovations in the lease. She signed it anyway on the Word of the agent and now is not extremely happy with the 'renovations.' That isn't even the problem. After signing the lease she noticed it stated there was a rider attached. There was none but it was hidden on a page along with information regarding carbon monoxide dectectors. The agent was a fast talker and I guess she wasn't reading carefully. Bottom line, it's a DHCR rider that's missing. It's supposed to disclose to the new tenant the prior rent and reasons for increase. I've done research and it seems this is required by law. Her rent is comparable to most 1 bedroom apartments in the area. My question, can she get this form. I feel this was omitted for a reason and the reason being she is being charged too much. I've ordered rent history and written to several online agencies for help. The real question is can she request the form from the landlord. Shes afraid if causing problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2017, 10:10 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
If she's afraid to cause problems, she need to stop pursuing this as it may cause a problem.

Old 08-18-2017, 01:38 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flip flops 3878 View Post
A friend of mine recently rented an apt in a rent stabilized building.
The apt was to be renovated but the landlord refused to itemize renovations in the lease.
This friend: ?
Renting and renovations

Quote:
Bottom line, it's a DHCR rider that's missing. Shes afraid if causing problems.
I think your friend needs help a step or three above what even a kind friend can do.

There are tenant advocacy agencies and maybe the best thing you can do is
help her to get connected with someone LOCAL who knows how things are done THERE.

Old 08-18-2017, 05:02 PM

71 posts, read 63,708 times
Yep same friend. She's fairly recently widowed and if you read the other thread has had a rough time of it. I'm just trying to keep her from being taken advantage of again.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:55 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,106 times
You need to post your location if you want any actual advice.

Going by the terms you use, it sounds like you're in NYC. You can request a rent history for your unit by e-mailing rentinfo@nyshcr.org along with your address. They'll mail you a rental history that includes what previous tenants have been paying in rent, and what the legal rent it.

If you think the LL has claimed extensive renovations in order to get an rental increase authorized, you can contact 311.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting