Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2011, 05:51 AM

35 posts, read 275,096 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious what privacy rights a tenant has because my landlord did something that I feel was inappropriate.

He came to the house & rang the bell. I was in the shower so it took me awhile to answer the door & when I did there was noone there.
Then I heard my garage door opening (There's a combo pad outside that opens the door without the remote) so I went to the door that leads from the house to the garage & there he was.

He said he was just checking to see if my car was inside to see if I was home but I felt pretty violated. I have some expensive personal property in the garage. Also, I'm a recent widow living alone & had nightmares about strangers sneaking into the house after the incident.

Does a landlord have the right to enter a tenant's residence like this uninvited?

He does other things that I find intrusive also.
He knows that I've bought a house & will be moving out in a month or two so suddenly he wants to make all these improvements.
He always says I don't have to do anything to prepare but in reality I always end up in the middle, getting quotes from contractors, being present while they work, emptying closets, moving furniture etc while they do whatever he's hired them to do & usually they leave a big debris field behind that I am left to clean up.

I want to tell him "hey, as long as I'm paying rent here it's my place & you have no right to disrupt my life & my privacy this way".
Does he?..

To top it off his brother's been pestering me for months to rent a room to him. I have told him time & time again that I don't think it's a good idea & that I value my privacy but he just keeps asking. (I guess you can see now why I am buying my own place. I've lived here 16 years but since my husband died I'm getting pretty creeped out & upset by it all.

Last edited by IOSilver; 12-13-2011 at 07:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 06:18 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,724,101 times
Google, "(your state) landlord tenant laws", You have every right to privacy and your LL certainly is violating that right. You'll find that unless in case of emergency, your LL under most state laws is generally required to give you at least 24 hours notice of entry for any reason. Hone up on the relevant laws and then indeed tell him, "hey, as long as I'm paying rent here it's my place & you have no right to disrupt my life & my privacy this way." Follow it up in writing and let him pound sand. He's doing it because you're allowing him to do it. Good luck!

Old 12-13-2011, 08:01 AM

3,503 posts, read 19,892,818 times
Stop letting it happen. If a contractor shows up or he tells you he has hired someone to do work, just say "no". Write a letter, return receipt, that you are moving and all work is to stop until you have moved. He may well have the right to show the house for prospective tenants, but not do non emergency repairs.
Stop letting it happen.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:03 AM

1,707 posts, read 6,212,342 times
In Texas he might well have been shot. Unannounced intruders often are here... legally.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:17 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,497,010 times
landlord really thought you were not home and decided to let himself in via the garage door. He then lied when he saw you.

Hope you move very soon. In most states (if not all) landlord is require to give proper notice before inspecting or entering the home or before showing it to contractors. You don't have to approve, but you have to be notified. proper notice is usually 12-24 hrs but depends on state. Also certain general time frames occur for these visits/inpections, such as day time hours, but time can vary by state.

If landlord is entering without proper notice, or sending lookers/contractors without proper notice, you can notify landlord that per state law proper notice must be given. Because if you agree and consent to allow visits any time, proper notice does not have to be given . So let him know that the law says proper notice must be given and you do NOT consent to visits unless proper notice is given.
Hope you can move very soon.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:53 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,519,607 times
Florida is 12 hours notice, unless its an emergency.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:00 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,903,403 times
..and about the weirdo brother? You should tell him the place will be vacant soon enough and he should ask his brother about renting the place himself!

Old 12-14-2011, 05:25 PM

35 posts, read 275,096 times
Thanks for your helpful advice..
I wasn't sure if I had any recourse. Looks like I do. I will act on it.
Thanks much

Old 12-24-2017, 09:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,210 times
Is it invasion of privacy when looking into the tenenants camp trailer on landlords property. Can they be watching through the whole night
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting