Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 05:56 PM

150 posts, read 154,176 times

Advertisements

Landlord did not fix the toilet which was leaking early enough and my water bill increased, this is in NC, I discussed with the city and they asked me to show them invoice of the fix. However landlord does not provide it, what options do I have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2018, 06:36 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,836,700 times
Aren’t you the landlord?

Old 01-13-2020, 06:05 AM

3,963 posts, read 2,347,763 times
Revising this old thread because this is subject matter is close. I am a landlord and my water bill was on average rate like a clock for the past 8 months. Suddenly, the bill spiked to almost twice the average. May be leak or running toilet. Tenants never mentioned anything and I don't have that provision in my lease to be advised of these troubles. In any event, could I contact water company to get a credit for this bill that is a tad obscene if it isn't my tenants issue? What if my tenants are using water excessively? Killed my profit this month.

Old 01-13-2020, 06:44 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
Revising this old thread because this is subject matter is close. I am a landlord and my water bill was on average rate like a clock for the past 8 months. Suddenly, the bill spiked to almost twice the average. May be leak or running toilet. Tenants never mentioned anything and I don't have that provision in my lease to be advised of these troubles. In any event, could I contact water company to get a credit for this bill that is a tad obscene if it isn't my tenants issue? What if my tenants are using water excessively? Killed my profit this month.

And when you contacted your tenants concerning the bill, and scheduled an inspection for leaks, what did they say?

Leaks are on you and your water company might give you a break on the bills..you won’t know until you confirm a leak and call them.

As for excessive usage, unless your lease has a max limit set (bill amount or gallons used) you’re on the hook for the bill. If you can’t put the water in your tenants name, then you should have something in place they states you pay x amount of the bill and anything over they the tenant is responsible for. You’ll need to send a copy of the bill every month to the tenant.

A water bill killed your profit? I hope that was a ridiculously insane high water bill.

Old 01-13-2020, 06:51 AM

^^^Very insane. Exaggeration on my profit but the bill was over twice the usual bill. New provisions in leases coming up soon.

Old 01-13-2020, 07:59 AM

6,559 posts, read 8,389,581 times
Quote:
^^^Very insane. Exaggeration on my profit but the bill was over twice the usual bill. New provisions in leases coming up soon.
Have you determined what caused it to double in cost? Did rates go up at the first of the year, and maybe it's a billing error?

Old 01-13-2020, 08:20 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
Quote:
Are you really trying
to tell us there is no reporting of defects clause in the lease or no ability for you to conduct an inspection? I don't but it!!!! You don't need help with the water bill, you need help being a landlord.

Old 01-13-2020, 11:06 AM

^^^I can conduct an inspection. Just not at this moment. I don't have a reporting of defects clause in the lease because I inherited this lease from the former owner. I talked to the water company and they are not going to credit because there aren't any known problems, toilet running, etc. Tenants is claiming no leaks as well. Never had this issue before so maybe you're right. I do need help for this particular issue. That's why I am asking. I'll get there this week and follow up. The water company suppose to take another reading this week so I'll have a better handle on what's the issue. I am suspecting just high water usage.

Old 01-13-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
And when you contacted your tenants concerning the bill, and scheduled an inspection for leaks, what did they say?
Lol, my tenents claim there aren't any leaks, toilet running, etc. I did detect some apprehension in their voices if that means anything. I'll have to make my way to the property this week to see what's what.

Old 01-13-2020, 11:58 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,912,638 times
They could have several people staying there..look for clues. Look at every nook and cranny and maybe there will be a neighbor complaining about all the people in there.

Could be something as crazy as a college student forgets to turn off the sink water in the morning and it runs all day until the tenant below reports he has water dripping down on him. We had that one and the oh,well attitude. A neighbor had a biggie...their tenant couple was taking in laundry....for their church no less. And apparently others. We went to see that house when it eventually went up for sale. When we got upstairs there were tiny rooms cut out. They looked cute and I thought they were playhouses for the grandkids. I was told, well, they had several people staying at that house and those were likely sleeping accommodations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting