Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 08:13 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabbyAppleton205 View Post
Plenty of people do fall for it. That's why they keep doing it.
I doubt that. they keep trying and find an occasional moron who will fall for it, but not plenty of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 05:30 PM

472 posts, read 325,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabbyAppleton205 View Post
HOW SOON CAN YOU MAKE THE DEPOSIT?
I like the way they beat around the bush before getting to the operative question!

Old 04-15-2018, 05:38 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,905,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger34 View Post
That's such an obvious fake it's laughable. Who would fall for that
The same people that buy cars sight unseen or with the promise that the title will come in the mail or any one of the thousands of victims that post on these sites every day with their sob stories.

Old 05-06-2018, 06:23 PM

1 posts, read 803 times
Jane Cooper
7:40 PM (21 hours ago)

Thank you for admiring our post. My wife posted this ad with her email so am using the email for the meantime. My wife and I need an honest tenant to ‎rent our property located at 13178 Jefferson St, Garden Grove, CA 92844. I am ‎Bishop Edwin Udeolisa and Rev. Mrs. Jane Minh C Udeolisa is my wife. We presently in Africa running a non governmental organization that educates the underprivileged ones and also leading them to accepting Christ as their Lord and savior. We decided to make our rent affordable $1025 per month (rent already include utilities; Water, Trash, Electricity e.t.c)

Our Previous property manager were only concern in making their money and never attends to the needs of the our tenant and property so my wife and I‎ decided to handle the rental ourselves.

N:B (The document and keys are with us and i have no problem sending it to ‎you throughout FedEX which will take 16 hours to get to the states so you can ‎go view the inside property but the security deposit will be put down ‎before the keys and document be sent, the security deposit is refundable if ‎you do not like the inside of my property after viewing. I will give you a ‎call once you agree to my terms and conditions). ‎Feel free to drive by the property to view the outside.

Property Basics;
Bedroom: 2.
Bathroom: 1.
sq feet: 977
Rent: 1025
Security deposit: 500
Pets Allowed(hopefully trained ones)
Lease Term: Short or long is acceptable

LEASE APPLICATION FORM

FULL CONTACT NAME?
OCCUPATION?
RESIDENTIAL HOME ADDRESS?
YOUR CELLPHONE NUMBER?
YOUR HOME PHONE NUMBER?
YOUR WORKPLACE NUMBER?
BEST TIME TO REACH YOU?
AGE & MARITAL STATUS?
OWN A PET?
OWN A CAR?
HOW MANY PEOPLE SHALL RESIDE IN THE PREMISES?
HOW LONG DO YOU INTEND TO RENT?
ANTICIPATED MOVE IN DATE?
HOW SOON CAN YOU MAKE THE DEPOSIT?
REFERENCE?

Best of regards
Bishop Edwin Udeolisa

You can reach me through this number +2347054461079‎‎ or let me know when to ‎give you a call if you can't call internationally.
I will love to speak with you

Received this today.

Old 05-06-2018, 08:03 PM

268 posts, read 272,533 times
Quote:

You can reach me through this number +2347054461079‎‎ or let me know when to ‎give you a call if you can't call internationally.
I will love to speak with you

Received this today.
Same phone number as the one I received. I've caught and reported so many of their fake posts that they switched to using a different email address in my area now.

Old 05-06-2018, 09:56 PM

24,632 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Craigslist is riddled with fake ads. Never wire money to anyone with actually stepping onto the property

Old 05-07-2018, 06:00 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,053,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Craigslist is riddled with fake ads. Never wire money to anyone with actually stepping onto the property
My experience, I posted an ad looking for a rental (seasonal, in a tourist area). Almost EVERY response I got was one of these scams.

Here is a funny scambaiting video about one of these scams. Warning- vulgar language at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab7eR0AALWE

Don't forget most scams rely on GREED - getting a car for less than it's worth, rental below market value, paying money for a shipment of gold, etc.

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 05-07-2018 at 06:08 AM..

Old 05-07-2018, 07:20 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Never wire money period with Craigslist. Even after seeing the place. It could be a former tenant with keys that you are paying.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:12 PM

268 posts, read 272,533 times
I just reported and had 3 more fake CL ads removed. If the scammers didn't lower the prices so much, they might not be caught so easily. But if the lower price wasn't so tempting, they wouldn't get anyone to fall for it.

Old 05-12-2018, 09:54 PM

7,044 posts, read 6,295,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
My experience, I posted an ad looking for a rental (seasonal, in a tourist area). Almost EVERY response I got was one of these scams.

Here is a funny scambaiting video about one of these scams. Warning- vulgar language at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab7eR0AALWE

Don't forget most scams rely on GREED - getting a car for less than it's worth, rental below market value, paying money for a shipment of gold, etc.
Loved the video. I only wish he'd said something about reporting the scammer.

When I suspect a scam I tell them I will be reporting this to our federal government. They hang up, sigh, before I can get all the info so I can't report them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting