Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2018, 08:11 PM

2 posts, read 1,190 times

Advertisements

My daughter signed a one year apartment lease in Madison and is moving on May 1st. She just received an email stating that her apartment is changing into a condo after her lease and she will have to move again next year. She would not of signed the lease if she would of known about the change. Is there any way she could get out of the lease because she hasn’t moved in yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 08:23 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,838,168 times
No. She signed a one year and she will get one year of tenancy. There was no legal way out of the lease due to her wanting to stay longer than her lease states. In other words, she was never guaranteed to stay beyond her lease term.

Old 04-28-2018, 12:34 AM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Look on the bright side...at least she has a year's notice to find another place and get ready for the move.

Old 04-28-2018, 08:18 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Plus they could have waited 11 months and just given her 30 days notice and it would have been worse.

She can always ask if she can get out and say she doesn't want to have to move out again in a year, doesn't hurt to ask.

It does seem crazy that they wouldn't know and not tell her ahead of time, i'm sure it takes time to turn apartments into condos so I doubt they will let her out. If they were honest they should have told her ahead of time and found someone who didn't mind moving again so soon.

Old 04-28-2018, 10:01 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I would only have given a 30 day notice that the lease was not being renewed, but there are probably laws about notice periods to tenants when a building is going condo. Maybe if she likes the building she could buy the condo. Tenants are often given really good bargains if they wish to purchase their unit.

It doesn't matter where she rents, a one year lease is only good for one year. So she could be asked to move at the end of the first year no matter what she has rented.

She could always ask if she can cancel the lease, but she doesn't really have any grounds to do so. There is a small, chance the landlord will let her go, out of the goodness of his heart, not because he is legally forced to. Also, some leases have a buy out clause so if she is really unhappy, maybe she can buy her way out of the lease.

Old 05-02-2018, 01:11 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal23 View Post
My daughter signed a one year apartment lease in Madison and is moving on May 1st. She just received an email stating that her apartment is changing into a condo after her lease and she will have to move again next year. She would not of signed the lease if she would of known about the change. Is there any way she could get out of the lease because she hasn’t moved in yet?

She may have a buy out/ early termination option. Or she can try and negotiate a lease break fee if there is no lease break. She signed a year lease she has the place for a year. It would be no different if they sold after her one year lease expired.
As a renter there is no guarantee you will have no rent raise, unit sold or converted after your original lease term expires.

Old 05-04-2018, 10:07 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Has she paid them anything?

Even if its just the security deposit, I'd be inclined to tell them to pound sand, and find another place.

If she hasn't paid them anything, then I'd definitely walk and politely invite them to "come and get it" if they want to and talk to my attorney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting