Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 11:44 PM

22 posts, read 81,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
This might change things.

That seems a bit cruel and unusual. The local humane society might be interested in the land lords pet policy.
the pet needs to be in the kennel when we are not there. hehe, had to clarify.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 11:56 PM

8,358 posts, read 25,147,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legaia View Post
the pet needs to be in the kennel when we are not there. hehe, had to clarify.
Well, I would look into it. Your land lord is being totally unreasonable. The question is does s/he have the right.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Well, I would look into it. Your land lord is being totally unreasonable. The question is does s/he have the right.
Thanks for any input. Can he sue me for lost rent if I don't comply and replace the carpet?

Old 03-30-2008, 12:19 AM

26,481 posts, read 36,312,571 times
Yes, he can file a civil suit against you. Whether he can win or not isn't something that anyone here can answer. But keep in mind that civil suits require a "preponderance of evidence", which roughly means "more likely than not".

Old 03-30-2008, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Thanks for any input. Can he sue me for lost rent if I don't comply and replace the carpet?
Sue for lost rent? What I am about to give you is not legal advice, I am not a lawyer and never dated, married or slept with one. I am just passing on some friendly advice; you have nothing to worry about. Worst case scenario is that the land lord will keep the full deposit, and then send you a bill if there is a difference.

I wouldn't worry about being sued. It is more then likely just a threat to get you to shell out your own time and money to do something that the land lord should take care of him/her/it self when you move out. TENANTS DO HAVE RIGHTS!

Old 03-30-2008, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. I would like to add that the landlord sited this in his email to me "[SIZE=2]" all pets must be kept in a kennel.........[/SIZE][SIZE=2].all problems must be resolved to landlord satisfaction without any exception within 3 days to , otherwise it is agreed by the tenant that failure to do so will be treated as default under section 13.25....."

But even with this, I find it very unreasonable that he wants me to fix the carpet NOW.

Also, Is it against the law for the manager to enter my apartment without telling me? After I moved in, I noted a some areas in the apartment that needed to be fixed, but i also said, I didn't really want them to be fixed, i just wanted it to be noted. However, the had their maintainace ppl come in to the apartment and the muddied the carpet and left a warn out glove in the apartment. We had no idea about this and were concerned that somebody had broken in to the apartment. During this time, they discovered the dog outside the kennel. We honestly forgot to put the dog inthe kennel that day, however, the dog has been in the kennel ever since. The dog has been blocked off inside the kitchen vinyl floor at all times, the maintanance ppl moved some of the stuff and the dog followed the maintaince ppl and supposedly urinated on the carpet according to the maintainance ppl.

Here are my questions:

Can the landlord sue me for lost rent in the future when I move out and end my lease (when it is supposed to end)?

Is there a law/tenant rights the would allow me not to have to replace my carpet now?

I will be taken to court if I do not comply.
[/SIZE]

Did'nt they violate the lease by coming into my apartment w/o proper notice of 24 hours?

Old 03-30-2008, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Did'nt they violate the lease by coming into my apartment w/o proper notice of 24 hours?
Maybe.

It was illegal for a land lord to do so in the states that I have lived in.

Is it in the lease?

Old 03-30-2008, 08:43 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,488,137 times
You need documented proof, and if thats a complaint against your landlord, its really not pertinent to the issue at hand, is it?

Get everything in writing. Period.
As K-Luv has said multiple times, its possible to sue you, but unlikely that he will win. Depending on the state, you have a lot more power in the courts than the landlord, because the courts tend to feel that its easier for landlords to take advantage of tenants, and thus they tend to side with tenants. Also, if he's the plaintiff then he has to prove that you have to do it now.

Put it in writing, contact a tenant's advocacy group or a lawyer for a free consultation. We aren't lawyers here. A lot of the people here have been landlords and/or renters, so we can give perspective and advice on what we feel is right/wrong, but we don't know everything about every state.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:36 AM

13,909 posts, read 39,082,986 times
I would at least have the carpets proffesionally cleaned when you move out...but not replaced!

Old 03-30-2008, 11:49 AM

294 posts, read 1,083,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I would at least have the carpets proffesionally cleaned when you move out...but not replaced!
Professionally cleaning the carpet does not remove dog urine, you can clean and clean, but it will still be there. A professional cleaner once told me that dog's urine is like glue, you will never remove it, the only recourse is to replace the carpet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting