Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 11:53 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,430,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLinVA View Post
Your best bet is an individual who won't run thorough checks. Some lower rent places might expect some issues, and they may be okay with you depending on how bad you look on paper.
I do have only one person I met so far who is an individual that has property,although somewhat inconvenient location so I'm saving that as a last resort. There doesn't seem to be many of those around. Of course alot of it is word of mouth and who you know too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 12:05 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,760 times
I'd evict someone caught in a refernce lie on an application, if i didnt catch ot and had rented to them.
Apply to get housing assistance for hud properties.

Old 11-30-2018, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Credit is bad now because yes I did fall behind on other things. So basically we're on a first class ride to screwed...

As for the landlords,when I had my friend the property manager run a test...the landlords said exactly the way things were. They don't care if we're gone or homeless...they'll probably just have to file a formal eviction which involve legal fees. But something tells me it doesn't bother them because with our luck they'll just try to sue us for their fees also.

Funny,how I always hear about people around here getting their vehicles totalled because of a texting driver yet they end up with nothing because the person has nothing to sue for...
The landlord is owed their money. If they have to sue to get it, it isnt their fault. You left them no choice. The smart thing to do is move out right away, leave the place sparkling clean, inside and out. Tell your ll you are leaving, and make pmt arrangements for what is owed, even if its only paying 50.00 mo for the next 2 yrs...

Old 11-30-2018, 01:23 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,905,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
make pmt arrangements for what is owed, even if its only paying 50.00 mo for the next 2 yrs...
Somebody offered me that kind of chump change and I would sue in a heartbeat, get a judgment, garnish wages and get a lot more than $50 per month.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:47 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,430,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
Somebody offered me that kind of chump change and I would sue in a heartbeat, get a judgment, garnish wages and get a lot more than $50 per month.
Good luck with that...I know someone who got their vehicle totalled by a texting driver and they're still on their own.

Old 12-01-2018, 06:02 AM

453 posts, read 410,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
In reality, you won’t be getting much more. If someone already can’t pay, it likely means they aren’t bringing in the big bucks. And wage garnishments are capped 25% of your disposable income, and some states and situations set that percentage even lower.

If someone owed me 1000$ bucks and offered me 50$ per month, I’d take it and run, since you won’t do much better after court.

Additionally, wage garnishments aren’t that common in this situation

Old 12-02-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsnation34 View Post
In reality, you won’t be getting much more. If someone already can’t pay, it likely means they aren’t bringing in the big bucks. And wage garnishments are capped 25% of your disposable income, and some states and situations set that percentage even lower.

If someone owed me 1000$ bucks and offered me 50$ per month, I’d take it and run, since you won’t do much better after court.

Additionally, wage garnishments aren’t that common in this situation
In tx, you can only garnish for taxes or back child support...getting something like 50.00 mo voluntarily is more realistic than thinking that someone that got evicted vecause they cant pay rent, is going to be able to pay you more/will pay more, plus still pay rent on a different place.

Old 12-02-2018, 10:14 AM

453 posts, read 410,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
In tx, you can only garnish for taxes or back child support...getting something like 50.00 mo voluntarily is more realistic than thinking that someone that got evicted vecause they cant pay rent, is going to be able to pay you more/will pay more, plus still pay rent on a different place.
Right. Expecting a big payday out of wage garnishments just isn’t going to happen. You can’t garnish something that doesn’t exist. Lots of restrictions

Old 12-05-2018, 09:28 AM

7,044 posts, read 6,295,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
I do have only one person I met so far who is an individual that has property,although somewhat inconvenient location so I'm saving that as a last resort. There doesn't seem to be many of those around. Of course alot of it is word of mouth and who you know too.
It may be your best bet to get back on track. Being inconvenienced for a few years AND making sure you pay the rent on time will go a long way to improving your situation.

Read the frugal forum to learn how to save money so this doesn't happen again. It's not always easy to improve your situation but you have to start. Strive to have, at the very least, one months extra rent in savings so you'll be ahead of the game, then consistently refill that monies.

It doesn't take that much to keep a clean, picked-up place. Do at least one area a day and soon it will become a habit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting