Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 07:58 AM

1 posts, read 15,393 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I've been living in my quaint apartment in Parkchester for 12 years now, and I've never had any problems with any of my neighbors. The building I live in is conjoined with another building, so the building I live in has two entrances. For example, my building is "1 Metropolitan", the conjoined building is "5 Metropolitan".

Recently, the neighbors from the conjoined building with whom I shared a bedroom wall with has moved out. They were a pleasant family. Now, a young couple with two children have moved in. Ever since then, I've heard extremely loud, constant banging on my wall anywhere between the times of 5am-6am, and sometimes at 1am-ish or 2-3am-ish.

My guess is, they are having sex. The moaning and other "sound effects" don't usually wake me up. It's the banging on the bedroom wall that we share that knocks me out of my sleep. I tried to ignore it at first, since I thought that what they do in their apartment is none of my business. But now I feel the noises are too much to tolerate, and I have to wake up at 8am for work M-F.

They also play excessively loud, floor vibrating Latino music many times throughout the late night and day, their children screams and I think kicks against the wall everyday, and they argue incessantly. I don't mind the loud children, because children are children. But those noises, coupled with the sleep-depriving wall banging, has put me at my wits end.

I understand I live in an apartment building, so there are going to be living noises like door slamming and kids running around, people talking, etc. But noises like the loud wall-banging sex and mirror-rattling music are very inconsiderate and infringes on my living quality at home, in my opinion. I love reading, and rarely watch TV. When I watch watch movies or listen to music on my laptop, I always use headphones (a habit I picked up from college life). So, it isn't like they are doing this out of revenge.

I've knocked on our shared wall and told them to please either move their bed away from the wall or put something between the bed frame and my wall so that it either doesn't bang or cause noise. All I got was the husband (or boyfriend) yelling and cursing at me in Spanish and English and mockingly banging against the wall even more with what sounds like an aluminum baseball bat. A few times, he's even dared me to "do something about it", and "come see him". At one point at around December, he even argued and yelled (and I quote) "it's my ****ing apartment, **** you", and other assortments of colorfully vulgar insults and language. I should've recorded it.

When I dormed at my university, there were noise ordinances against such actions. So, I don't know what to do now. I don't have keys to the front door of these jerks' building and I don't have much time outside of work. Even if I did, the mans rude and belligerent attitude and replies have made me afraid to knock on his door and confront him. And since I don't know what apartment letter they live in, I don't know if calling security or police without such information will be effective. Could I even complain to the police about loud banging on my bedroom wall?

I'm really sorry if I'm writing too much and this was a long read. I arrive home from my office, I just want a reasonable modicum of peace and sleep. Now I've resorted to sleeping in my living room. It's been affecting me quite a bit and I'm stressed out and very frustrated. Please, is there any other way I can approach and resolve this? Did I approach and handle this situation incorrectly? What could I have done better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2017, 08:20 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,494,440 times
I have zero faith in noise issues like this being resolved in rentals when the people making the noise don't have a rat's hiney about what people think about them

Anyway

So, I would buy earplugs, make what adjustments you can in your own unit and hope for the best. Move your bed into the living room if that helps.

As far as earplugs, those orange ones from 3M are amazing.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:30 PM

8,333 posts, read 4,372,464 times
It would not hurt to notify Parkchester management about the problem. There are rules against noise in Parkchester condo association rules and regulations, and Parkchester management loves to assess fines for any violation of these rules (particularly if your neighbor is hitting the wall with something that could damage the wall). If the guy is threatening you, notify Parkchester security, and if you are really worried, notify the real police as well. Eggcrate foam (or more expensive kinds of foam that they use in recording studios) can be plastered on the wall for sound insulation. Hope you get this problem solved, sounds awful.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:44 PM

876 posts, read 812,623 times
If there's anyone who lives above another apartment, can you please take your hard-heeled shoes off when you walk on bare floor? Do you know how loud that is, it's only 4 feet from my head.

It's pretty annoying listening to the horse that lives above me now. But at least it isn't sex sounds.

Old 06-21-2017, 07:56 AM

973 posts, read 914,379 times
Had similar situations when I was in grad school living in the basement apartment while the kids were running rampant upstairs at all hours of the day and night, banging into the walls, crying, jumping off furniture or whatever...parents' impromptu sex sessions too. I could never take any phone/video interviews in the comfort of my own home due to this...not to mention even getting a good night's rest.

I'd complain to apartment management about this, and if nothing gets done about it, which I'm sure is going to be the case, then you'd probably have to switch apartments...or fight fire with fire.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:19 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffypoopoo View Post
...or fight fire with fire.
Which can cause even more problems. The OP should try to address the issue in a more diplomatic fashion, or try sound dampening on his side of the shared wall. Not all neighbors are reasonable, even in the face of logic.

Old 06-21-2017, 02:03 PM

2,509 posts, read 2,494,440 times
The OP already tried to talk to them...

Quote:
"All I got was the husband (or boyfriend) yelling and cursing at me in Spanish and English and mockingly banging against the wall even more with what sounds like an aluminum baseball bat. A few times, he's even dared me to "do something about it", and "come see him". At one point at around December, he even argued and yelled (and I quote) "it's my ****ing apartment, **** you", and other assortments of colorfully vulgar insults and language."

Old 06-21-2017, 07:04 PM

9,368 posts, read 6,967,418 times
How about giving them a round of applause.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:06 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkat11 View Post
Hey everyone. I've been living in my quaint apartment in Parkchester for 12 years now, and I've never had any problems with any of my neighbors. The building I live in is conjoined with another building, so the building I live in has two entrances. For example, my building is "1 Metropolitan", the conjoined building is "5 Metropolitan".

Recently, the neighbors from the conjoined building with whom I shared a bedroom wall with has moved out. They were a pleasant family. Now, a young couple with two children have moved in. Ever since then, I've heard extremely loud, constant banging on my wall anywhere between the times of 5am-6am, and sometimes at 1am-ish or 2-3am-ish.

My guess is, they are having sex. The moaning and other "sound effects" don't usually wake me up. It's the banging on the bedroom wall that we share that knocks me out of my sleep. I tried to ignore it at first, since I thought that what they do in their apartment is none of my business. But now I feel the noises are too much to tolerate, and I have to wake up at 8am for work M-F.

They also play excessively loud, floor vibrating Latino music many times throughout the late night and day, their children screams and I think kicks against the wall everyday, and they argue incessantly. I don't mind the loud children, because children are children. But those noises, coupled with the sleep-depriving wall banging, has put me at my wits end.

I understand I live in an apartment building, so there are going to be living noises like door slamming and kids running around, people talking, etc. But noises like the loud wall-banging sex and mirror-rattling music are very inconsiderate and infringes on my living quality at home, in my opinion. I love reading, and rarely watch TV. When I watch watch movies or listen to music on my laptop, I always use headphones (a habit I picked up from college life). So, it isn't like they are doing this out of revenge.

I've knocked on our shared wall and told them to please either move their bed away from the wall or put something between the bed frame and my wall so that it either doesn't bang or cause noise. All I got was the husband (or boyfriend) yelling and cursing at me in Spanish and English and mockingly banging against the wall even more with what sounds like an aluminum baseball bat. A few times, he's even dared me to "do something about it", and "come see him". At one point at around December, he even argued and yelled (and I quote) "it's my ****ing apartment, **** you", and other assortments of colorfully vulgar insults and language. I should've recorded it.

When I dormed at my university, there were noise ordinances against such actions. So, I don't know what to do now. I don't have keys to the front door of these jerks' building and I don't have much time outside of work. Even if I did, the mans rude and belligerent attitude and replies have made me afraid to knock on his door and confront him. And since I don't know what apartment letter they live in, I don't know if calling security or police without such information will be effective. Could I even complain to the police about loud banging on my bedroom wall?

I'm really sorry if I'm writing too much and this was a long read. I arrive home from my office, I just want a reasonable modicum of peace and sleep. Now I've resorted to sleeping in my living room. It's been affecting me quite a bit and I'm stressed out and very frustrated. Please, is there any other way I can approach and resolve this? Did I approach and handle this situation incorrectly? What could I have done better?

When's your lease up? Move your bed to the living room, get a white noise maker, sleep the best you can in the LR. Turn in your move-out notice to the apartment and look for another apartment. Just be glad you're just renting! Its situations like these which make me not want to buy a condo or townhouse for retirement.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:47 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
Organizations etc. like to see a step by step process.

1) leave a note or send a certified letter, you could cc your apt managent
2) Actually talk to the neighbor, during the day, face to face in the parking lot with your phone video going
3) Go to your apt management. I had an issue and they did send the tenant a letter, which worked for a little while.
4)Then call the cops. They are bothering you outside of quiet time hours. Don't call 911, look up the standard 7 digit
dispatcher number. Tell them you want to ask your neighbor to move their bed away from the wall but are scared to
talk to them because he has been verbally abusive in the past and you want a cop to go with you. Do this at 1 in the morning when they start.
5) Keep complaining to the management and ask them if they will at least not let them renew their lease or you will have to leave. Keep a log of all excessive noise outside quiet hours. You might want to tell them about the baseball bat on the wall. Keep complaining even if they tell you they can't do anything.
Get some pepper spray and some situational awareness

I suppose it is possible, upon reflection, to work through the kids. If they are decent kids, try to befriend them. Be the nice lady they know.
Then when you go to talk to their ******* of a dad, he might be calmer about it, see you as an abuela and accord you more respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting