Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 07:05 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,759,929 times

Advertisements

Came home tonight to find moderate flooding in our garage and laundry room. Also found small amount of water in pantry inside kitchen. Turns out our water heater has a leak on the bottom in the back (a bad one too because there wasn’t anything this morning). When I notified the landlord, he just told me to continually mop it until he gets someone out. I mean, I don’t want to mop this thing all dang night. I’ve got a promotion interview tomorrow and need the sleep. Landlord hasn’t returned calls or texts as to updates.

So it seems that the water is leaking through the walls and into both the laundry room and kitchen area. Apparently, by code, there should have been a metal drip pan installed directly under the water heater, between the water heater and drywall. Our water heater does not have one and as it is now, the water heater is sinking into the drywall directly underneath it. I can try turning off the water but the tank will still be full, plus I heard the power is supposed to be turned off to the heater so that the coils don’t rupture (??). When I look on the fuse panel, the water heater isn’t listed. I can’t just cut power to the whole house!

I mean, at this point, whatever damages happen is on the landlord. There are 24 hour emergency repair services out here. The landlord is not returning texts or phone calls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2019, 07:32 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Is there a way to drain the WH instead of wait for it to drain itself? There probably is some sort of drain...then use buckets or pots and pour the water down a sink. Can you find a switch on it anywhere to turn it off directly? That would keep the coils from overheating while they are dry.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Is there a way to drain the WH instead of wait for it to drain itself? There probably is some sort of drain...then use buckets or pots and pour the water down a sink. Can you find a switch on it anywhere to turn it off directly? That would keep the coils from overheating while they are dry.
I have no idea. I sent a picture to my brother (home repair person) and he said that turning off the water and draining is the only thing I can do, but he said I need to cut power to it first. The breakers aren’t labeled properly, and he said failure to cut power while the water drains could cause a small explosion with the coils. So yea, I’m not touching anything. Also, he said it could take hours to drain and the water will also be super heated. My thing is that I found a dozen 24 hour water heater companies. Why can’t my landlord contact one of them?

Old 02-04-2019, 07:50 PM

6,359 posts, read 4,181,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Came home tonight to find moderate flooding in our garage and laundry room. Also found small amount of water in pantry inside kitchen. Turns out our water heater has a leak on the bottom in the back (a bad one too because there wasn’t anything this morning). When I notified the landlord, he just told me to continually mop it until he gets someone out. I mean, I don’t want to mop this thing all dang night. I’ve got a promotion interview tomorrow and need the sleep. Landlord hasn’t returned calls or texts as to updates.

So it seems that the water is leaking through the walls and into both the laundry room and kitchen area. Apparently, by code, there should have been a metal drip pan installed directly under the water heater, between the water heater and drywall. Our water heater does not have one and as it is now, the water heater is sinking into the drywall directly underneath it. I can try turning off the water but the tank will still be full, plus I heard the power is supposed to be turned off to the heater so that the coils don’t rupture (??). When I look on the fuse panel, the water heater isn’t listed. I can’t just cut power to the whole house!

I mean, at this point, whatever damages happen is on the landlord. There are 24 hour emergency repair services out here. The landlord is not returning texts or phone calls.
There should be a disconnect box or switch within eyesight of the heater in order to kill the power, it’s required by the electrical code.

Also, there should be a drain at the bottom of the tank, a hose bib that you can connect to a garden hose to drain the tank. Probably too late by now if the tanks reputured and leaking.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
There should be a disconnect box or switch within eyesight of the heater in order to kill the power, it’s required by the electrical code.

Also, there should be a drain at the bottom of the tank, a hose bib that you can connect to a garden hose to drain the tank. Probably too late by now if the tanks reputured and leaking.
Nope. No disconnect box or switch. The pictures I sent my brother, he said it looks like the breaker is the only source of disconnect.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post

I’m not surprised there isn’t a disconnect switch by the WH. It’s not to code because there’s not a drip pan under it either. Which is also needed by code.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:26 PM

478 posts, read 417,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
I’m not surprised there isn’t a disconnect switch by the WH. It’s not to code because there’s not a drip pan under it either. Which is also needed by code.
Code may have been changed since that water heater was originally installed.

That said. This guy sounds like a crap landlord. Realistically, you’re going to end up having to move as I doubt there’s going to be proper remediation of that water damage.

Are you sure the WH is electric? It could be that you can’t find the disconnect because it doesn’t have one. But you can shut off the gas and water coming to it and drain it out via the hose.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalTex Ranger View Post
Code may have been changed since that water heater was originally installed.

That said. This guy sounds like a crap landlord. Realistically, you’re going to end up having to move as I doubt there’s going to be proper remediation of that water damage.

Are you sure the WH is electric? It could be that you can’t find the disconnect because it doesn’t have one. But you can shut off the gas and water coming to it and drain it out via the hose.
I am 100% certain of it being electric. At this point, the damage to the walls is so extensive, a restoration company will probably need to come out and tear all the effected areas. Doubtful the landlord will do the right thing here.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:58 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,529,606 times
So what ended up happening OP?

Old 02-05-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
So what ended up happening OP?
Still waiting. I shut the water off. Outside of that, I’m not touching the water heater. I’m worried that if I attempt to drain it and cause further damages, the landlord will blame the leak on me. It just seems like something this guy would do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting