Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 05:03 PM

1 posts, read 782 times

Advertisements

Do I write a note or just contact the landlord?
We have a neighbor that has absolutely NO consideration for other people living here.
There are 3 apartments in our building the basement apartment has its own driveway and yard area the 2 upstairs apartments share a driveway and yard space. We live on the 1st floor and and the neighbor were having an issue with is in the basement apartment.
her whole driveway and yard space is litered with her kids toys, trash, diapers, and random things that belong inside. She has a shed that our deck is built right on top of shes always leaving piles of trash bags
out in the open because she cant be bothered to put it in her bin or the shed. theres constantly animals outside ripping them apart then it all gets dragged or blown all over, up into our yard, and into other neighbors yards. it stays like this for days/weeks because she just walks by it all everyday and leaves it. so everytime we go out on our deck we get to smell it and be harassed by a million flies.

we also share a laundry room with her and are expected to pay half the gas bill for the dryer but she does laundry for days at a time all hours of the day/night or leaves it unattended for hours/days so its almost impossible for me to do our laundry. I have to do it when I can but shes left me a note basically telling me I shouldn't be doing it at a certain time because im messing up her, her childs, and her newborns sleep schedule yet she does it all the time at the same time and even later. we also caught her mother bringing over trunk fulls of her laundry and doing it here.she leaves her trash all over the floor her kids toys her laundry basket full of laundry, any clothes she drops on the floor Ive recently started taking her laundry out for her and making piles of it wherever I can and even those get left there for days/weeks. I also have a very narrow path in the basement to even get over the laundry because she has piled up all of her belongings right at the bottom of our stairs today I had to squeeze through 10 inches of space with a huge basket which is hard considering im 8 months pregnant. she even left a fan directly in the way that I almost tripped over. shes also got a bag of trash in the laundry room that has been sitting there since fathers day now.

the biggest issue recently is her son has started playing with my son he comes up here first thing in the morning everyday and thinks he can do whatever he wants on our deck and with our belongings and around our property meanwhile she sits inside the whole time and never once checks on him so ive become his babysitter and he doesn't listen to us at all. he helps himself to my sons toys whether were here or not taking stuff from around our shed. hes broken the lattice on our deck destroyed our sons pool broken all of our solar lights teases/scares our dog through the window and now thinks its okay to yell at her for barking at him. ive asked him numerous times to stay off our deck and he doesn't listen he leaves all of his things up in our driveway and on our deck and his mother never makes him clean any of it up instead 8 month pregnant me and my son have to pick up his mess. he even leaves garbage up here just like he does in her driveway/yard that we once again have to pick up. hes up here trying to shove things into our porch outlets without asking. she allows him to come outside with sparklers by himself play with the grill and tell my 7 year old son to go find a lighter.
do I leave her a note about all of this since shes so quick to complain to us about any little minor inconvenience to her or do we contact the landlord
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 05:09 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
If you leave a note.. don’t leave a novel like you did here... People won’t bother reading a wall of text.
That’s one of the reasons I don’t like renting an apartment. Your neighbors are practically your room mates.... privacy is almost non existent.

Old 07-30-2019, 05:39 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
I would contact the landlord about the sanitation and safety issues, like not putting the garbage in the bin, not picking up her garbage if the bag is torn by animals and the mess in the laundry room. Please enclose photographs (especially of the diapers & trash on the lawn).

Is she even allowed to store her things, and a garbage bag, in the shared laundry room? Leaving you a narrow pathway to walk seems like a clear safety violation that the landlord needs to know about.

Regarding her child. Do not continue to be the unpaid babysitter. Send him home if he comes over to play. And, if he damages your property or your son's toys or plays on your deck without permission I would talk to her first.

If she continues to ignore you contact the landlord (and also include photographs of the mess her child leaves on your driveway & deck, the things that he broke, that he is teasing your dog).

If it continues to be a problem that she is not watching her child, and he is doing unsafe things, contact Children's Protective Services stating the main issues. They will do a home visit.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:34 PM

586 posts, read 554,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon21 View Post
...do I leave her a note about all of this since shes so quick to complain to us about any little minor inconvenience to her or do we contact the landlord

Honey.

Here's what's going to happen: nothing. Your neighbor isn't going to have an epiphany from your note, because she's not going to read it and your landlord isn't going to do anything. At all.

Start looking for a nicer place, preferably one that has a laundry inside the unit.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:15 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Take picture & Send them to the LL....

Old 07-31-2019, 05:24 AM

357 posts, read 247,991 times
Contact the landlord about the cleanliness issues. That’s disgusting.

Don’t let that kid in your house or onto your part of the property anymore.

I would probably try to find a new place, in all honesty. And tell the LL why you are leaving when you give notice.

Old 07-31-2019, 06:46 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
This something you need to bring to the attention of your landlord. Call them, follow up with an email (including picture) and invite the landlord to come and see for themselves. If the trash isn’t cleaned up and handled properly, call the city.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:00 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,914,161 times
How is your LL? Doesn't visit the place at all? Is the LL the owner?

If there were some sort of environmental issue with things like that disgusting trash it would be the owner who got the notice from the city/county. I'd start with him/her.

Me, I'd also have a good view of the filth in a pic on social media with a 'gross, look where I have to live now'.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:03 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
I agree about involving the landlord, although it sounds like he must be aware since she's reporting "every little inconvenience" that you are doing to her, whatever those little inconveniences are.

And as others have said, make the email a bullet point email, preferably with images, not this long monologue.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:07 AM

5,168 posts, read 3,088,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelfer View Post

Honey.

Here's what's going to happen: nothing. Your neighbor isn't going to have an epiphany from your note, because she's not going to read it and your landlord isn't going to do anything. At all.

Start looking for a nicer place, preferably one that has a laundry inside the unit.
^^^ this

The landlord is not in a position to do anything, and most likely couldn’t care less about the situation. Trashy people and sociopaths don’t care what you and others think about them, and they know all the legal angles and tricks. Since it’s illegal to physically evict them, your only choice as a tenant is to move to a better place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting