Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 12:15 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times

Advertisements

Quiet enjoyment actually means that you have the right to enjoy your rented home without interference from the landlord. An example would be a landlord that lets himself into your home when he feels like it, or comes into your backyard in a rented single family home and just starts gardening without giving you notice. However, since the garage space below your apartment is not space you are renting as your own, the landlord isn't invading your space unreasonably.

But, in my opinion, it's reasonable for you to expect reasonable noise. What you've described sounds like noise that would drive anyone batty, in my opinion. So, I think a friendly discussion wouldn't be out of line. Maybe they think that since you aren't complaining, that it's not bothering you. Just have a friendly chat and maybe you can work out certain times that they would agree to not using the garage, for instance while you're working or at least mornings, or something.

You're sharing spaces, in a way like roommates, so it's only reasonable that you would end up having to work out situations like these. I wouldn't give up on the possibility of working things out right off the bat. If you can't work things out, you can start looking for a different place to rent. You were looking for a place to rent with 3 dogs when you found that one, so they aren't impossible to find, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2021, 06:13 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
No, I do NOT think that you are being fussy. If you're on top of a garage with the door opening constantly and power saws below you, that's not amenable to a productive work environment.

That said, you are in a bit of a pickle. The arrangement worked pretty well for the 3.5-4 years pre-COVID, so to some extent it is unrealistic to expect a change now. However, these are extenuating circumstances, first for the pandemic but perhaps also for the semi-retired person if that is an adjustment that happened within the last 5 years.

I don't think it would be inappropriate to express your appreciation for having had such a great relationship all of these years and ask if perhaps there is some kind of agreement that could be reached while you are required to work from home. Perhaps dedicated quiet times, alternating days, an offer to help move the noisy equipment to the barn for the time being, etc.? I wouldn't be surprised if they noticed the increased dog barking in response to their noise, so maybe they might be more open minded than you think.
Remember, it’s not up to the landlord to provide a ‘productive work environment’ for their tenants. Nor is the landlord required to designate dedicated quiet times.. especially when local laws already address that and the tenant doesn’t have a lease.

As already stated, those dogs have been barking all along, but the OP didn’t know it because they were at work.. again, their work situation is of no concern to the ll or neighbors. The OP needs to realize how lucky they are to have a place that takes three dogs and hasn’t kicked them out because of the barking.

They need to find another place to work.

Old 04-07-2021, 06:52 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,240,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Remember, it’s not up to the landlord to provide a ‘productive work environment’ for their tenants. Nor is the landlord required to designate dedicated quiet times.. especially when local laws already address that and the tenant doesn’t have a lease.

As already stated, those dogs have been barking all along, but the OP didn’t know it because they were at work.. again, their work situation is of no concern to the ll or neighbors. The OP needs to realize how lucky they are to have a place that takes three dogs and hasn’t kicked them out because of the barking.

No one is required or obligated to do anything. The OP did not indicate that the 3 dogs barked constantly before the recent noise increase; but by your logic, the landlord would be SOL because he knew he was taking on 3 dogs and he doesn't have a lease to protect himself either.

I'm just suggesting a polite conversation. The worst they could say is no. Well, this is CD, so maybe the worst that could happen is that the talk goes horribly left and they burn down the house and the garage, but I think those are pretty slim odds.

Good luck, OP!

Old 04-07-2021, 07:58 AM

6 posts, read 4,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post

Hi, just to clarify, my dogs aren't barking incessantly. At all. One of the three, and sometimes a second, (my hound mix, of course is the main culprit) will bark when the garage doors open, or when she hears the LL making noise below us in the garage. They are very quiet otherwise. And my second LL even comments that she likes having the hound over there because she feels she's a good guard dog lol (not that she would ever do anything).

Also, the LL's have 5 large dogs of their own, that bark.

Old 04-07-2021, 08:00 AM

6 posts, read 4,615 times
Also, I'm not talking about it in regards to *JUST* my work environment. What if I was simply home all the time, not working, but trying to enjoy my living space? Do you think hearing a bandsaw daily is enjoyable lol??

That said, I appreciate the feedback and am going to take this into account and try to adjust my attitude a bit. I will also get out the training treats and see if I can get the hound mix to maybe simmer it down a bit on the alert barking lol. But at 11.5 yrs old I'm not super hopeful LOL.

Old 04-07-2021, 08:02 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
I would not think that saying something is going to change anything except the landlord's view of his tenant.
What are they going to do; stop going into the garage? The landlord is not going to walk on eggshells just to please someone else.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:07 AM

347 posts, read 427,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rentermkd View Post
Also, I'm not talking about it in regards to *JUST* my work environment. What if I was simply home all the time, not working, but trying to enjoy my living space? Do you think hearing a bandsaw daily is enjoyable lol??

That said, I appreciate the feedback and am going to take this into account and try to adjust my attitude a bit. I will also get out the training treats and see if I can get the hound mix to maybe simmer it down a bit on the alert barking lol. But at 11.5 yrs old I'm not super hopeful LOL.
I think, unfortunately, it is the noise is the trade off that you have to accept when you rent an apartment over a garage. It’s the same way that if you opt to rent a ground floor apartment, you would expect noise coming from the tenant above you.

It stinks but it’s the trade off you get for the cheaper rent.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:16 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,905,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rentermkd View Post

You're the guy who moves near the airport and then complains about the noise of airplanes overhead. The noise of tools and machinery in a garage/workshop is normal. You're welcome to ask for it to be toned down and then the LL will have to decide if your tenancy is as important to him as it is to you.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:27 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,509,475 times
You have the right to say something. They have the right to not do anything. Thus, start looking to move, say something and if it doesn't improve, leave. They should consider that they would loose a good tenant for the unknown. They also might not be aware there is a problem.

I live in a semi-rural area and on Friday's starting at around 11 p.m. I would hear "party" music. Stepping outside, it turned out to be the single guy who lives across the road. He thought since it was winter and his windows and other neighbor's windows were shut no one could hear him. Since then, I haven't heard any music and we are still on good terms.

Old 04-07-2021, 09:39 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,238,344 times
The guy is using his garage the way its supposed to be used. Would you rather he take his tools and building materials into his house? As long as he's only working during the day, I dont think you have a leg to stand on. If he starts working out there at night, maybe...but even then, theres no law that says he cant work in his garage whenever he wants.

What if instead you were renting a little house on a little lot, and the guy next door was working out of his garage, using his power tools while he renovated and did projects? You'd probably still hear them, the dogs would probably still bark; what would you do then?

Last edited by carnivalday; 04-07-2021 at 09:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting