Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 07:32 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,058,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
You can send the outstanding payments to collections, but they'll keep a good chunk of the recovered (if it is) money.
Not if you have a properly written lease. We add the collection fees to the amount due when submitting the account for collection. So if you bust your lease and leave owing $1,000, we add the 40% collection fee to your debt and turn you in for $1,400.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 09:55 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,383,205 times
Wow! Collections agencies are vicious. Good! I'd get witnesses of the apartment's condition now, prior to the eviction. She will probably cause intentional damage or steal the appliances and landscaping (it happens all the time). Use a licensed inspector through the court if you can. And, keep future deposits different than rent so that tenants don't mistake it as last month's payment. Also, never rent to someone in a hurry, or who can't pay deposit up front. These are warning flags! Live and learn.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:15 PM

3 posts, read 8,677 times
I was sexually assaulted in my stairwell 2 days ago and our apartment complex has no security guard, no call boxes, no cameras and just about no outside lighting. I can't even sleep at night anymore and I want to break my lease. Is it possible?

Old 06-08-2010, 06:04 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdavi3 View Post
I was sexually assaulted in my stairwell 2 days ago and our apartment complex has no security guard, no call boxes, no cameras and just about no outside lighting. I can't even sleep at night anymore and I want to break my lease. Is it possible?
Starting a new thread is preferable to resurrecting one which is two years old. As far as your question is concerned, I'm sorry to hear what happened to you and presume you filed a police report? An apartment complex has no legal obligation to provide security guards, call boxes or security cameras and "just about no outside lighting" is rather nonspecific.

You could approach the LL or property manager with a copy of the police report and ask if you can be let out of your lease without huge penalties but that would be entirely up to them. You should also check your state landlord/tenant laws to see what, if any, obligation a LL has where outside lighting is concerned. Good luck.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:56 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,831,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdavi3 View Post
I cannot believe it. The same thing happened to me. I was transferred and also told I could break my lease. In addition however, the management and the Police handled the entire situation horribly. I know that landlords are responsible in someway for crimes that occur on their properties. Research landlord law online. I know how you feel as I cannot afford to leave, but am trying. I was assaulted by this crazy tenant and I was the one who had to move! If you speak with your landlord they will be to scared more than likely, of a lawsuit, therefore they will let you break the lease. The crime was on their property and you said there was faulty lighting etc.I had the same issues. Good luck.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:45 PM

1 posts, read 827 times
My husband has COPD, Asma, High Blood Pressure and other health concerns. We live in a downstairs apt and the people upstairs are very noisey all hours of the day and night. The Landlord lives out of state and we have called her many times about it but it does no good. All the noise keeps him upset and stressed. Can we get out of our lease to move to a single family home without the landlord coming after us for the remainder of the lease? The Landlord is also trying to say we need to have it cleaned by a professional IF we do move but there is nothing in our lease about having to do that.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:50 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,974,680 times
The LL is letting you break your lease, without major penalty, and you are complaining about a few hundred dollars to get it professionally cleaned?

why are you waiting, again?

Old 01-18-2011, 06:29 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,124,101 times
Dont you have a security deposit? I would use those funds to find a new renter and be glad she's out of your life. IMO legal action would be a waste of time and money...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting