Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 09:43 AM

97 posts, read 406,547 times

Advertisements

Hi there, first off I want to say that I'm glad I found this forum! I am a landlord who owns two homes and am battling with deadbeats. I partially blame myself for not doing enough research on them.

I've been looking and looking for a free bad renter list online. I can't find anything at all and am considering making my own free bad renter list. I can see how people want each other to pay to access information like this however I, like others I am sure, feel this is slightly lame. Anyone know of something that I'm not finding? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 11:36 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,062,717 times
I made the same mistake and am still trying to get rid of deadbeats.

Old 12-26-2008, 11:51 AM

2,382 posts, read 4,590,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc219 View Post
Hi there, first off I want to say that I'm glad I found this forum! I am a landlord who owns two homes and am battling with deadbeats. I partially blame myself for not doing enough research on them.

I've been looking and looking for a free bad renter list online. I can't find anything at all and am considering making my own free bad renter list. I can see how people want each other to pay to access information like this however I, like others I am sure, feel this is slightly lame. Anyone know of something that I'm not finding? Thanks!
I don't know what state you're in, but you may be able to access court records or other things that might paint a pretty good picture. Do you require references? Maybe you could ask for previous landlords, personal & employment references (if possible). Of course references can be a tricky thing; the renter isn't likely to list people who would say bad things about them. If you live in a smaller community, word-of-mouth is always a great way to find out information that you might not otherwise get.

As for making your own bad renter list - I don't think the idea is necessarily a bad one, but tread lightly. Make sure you won't be violating any laws by posting the information online.

Good luck!

Old 12-26-2008, 12:44 PM

Sure I can access court records, etc and I do require references.

As far as the legality of the bad renter site, there are a few pay sites that don't seem to have legal problems. Of course there is libel and slander to be considered, so maybe it's best not to get involved in something like this.

I'm just sick of deadbeats!

Old 12-26-2008, 01:00 PM

2,382 posts, read 4,590,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc219 View Post
Sure I can access court records, etc and I do require references.

As far as the legality of the bad renter site, there are a few pay sites that don't seem to have legal problems. Of course there is libel and slander to be considered, so maybe it's best not to get involved in something like this.

I'm just sick of deadbeats!
Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking too.

Something else I thought of after I made my post - it might not hurt to do checks of email addresses (if you have them) and/or social networking sites like MySpace. I know, that's nothing concrete and not necessarily the norm...but what could it hurt? It might provide insight that you may not otherwise get!

Old 12-26-2008, 01:35 PM

Sounds good but so far none of my renters have had internet, let alone a computer (I'm a newbie at this, one year next month, have two houses and so far 3 renters). My homes aren't in the greatest part of town and the people I rent to (who would live in those areas) tend to be pretty broke. I have however though of this and I do google them for any hope of myspace, facebook, etc listings...

Yea my problem for buying homes in the not so great areas but I gotta start somewhere. I bought two houses for $15k, my plan is to sell them when the market is good and invest in a nicer area, then deal with deadbeats with more money. Whoo hoo!

Old 12-26-2008, 04:45 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,236,744 times
You could start a web site that let's LL's do their own posting on bad renters and that should cover you.

And it's not libel or slander if it's true.

It could also be a site where LL's could check on good renters.

Old 12-26-2008, 04:58 PM

406 posts, read 1,359,810 times
it would never fly. you will be sued quicker than you can say "evicted!" liable and slander would be your main opponents here. now if you had a site which would list all judgements again a tenant, you would be within the boundaries of the law, but hey, that is what a credit check is.

i am in court right now to collect thousands from a tenant i inherited (law of quiet conveyance). what is saving me is documentation. i have utility bills, a new lease, security deposit receipt, condition report, pictures of the apartment after he left, cleaning bills, bills for new appliances, etc. his a** is toast, and i do not feel bad about ruining his credit, because i will be doing all of you landlords a favor. there is a difference between poor people and garbage off the street. i usually let the poor ones slide (if they lose their job or something else unfortunate happens), but i prosecute the trash of the world. they leach off of the world, and ruin it in the process. they need to go back to mommy who will clean up all their messes and wipe their a** for them.

Last edited by michael11747; 12-26-2008 at 04:59 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 12-27-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael11747 View Post
it would never fly. you will be sued quicker than you can say "evicted!" liable and slander would be your main opponents here. now if you had a site which would list all judgements again a tenant, you would be within the boundaries of the law, but hey, that is what a credit check is.
So I wonder how these sites manage to get by without being sued?
Ripoff Report: By Consumers, For Consumers
Bad Renters Network - Bad Tenant List
Bad Vacation Renter Listing Service - Home
Renter and Tenant Past-Performance Database - Submit Your Bad Renters today - Renter Hall of Shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael11747 View Post
i usually let the poor ones slide (if they lose their job or something else unfortunate happens), but i prosecute the trash of the world. they leach off of the world, and ruin it in the process. they need to go back to mommy who will clean up all their messes and wipe their a** for them.
Same here, I have two houses, one family is poor but they try very hard and times are hard for them, that is one thing. The other family is trash that is just trying to get over on me at every chance. Lately they've been refusing to pay because "mold is making it so my asthma daughter can't breathe" (mildew) even though I keep finding dogs in the house which they aren't allowed to have. (but it's the mold causing the asthma problems right) Needless to say I'm evicting them... Can't wait till court on the 5th.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:47 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,254,763 times
I would say you are a bit extreme in making sure someone stays homeless...
Cant you spend this time to focus on ways to filter better than get revenge?
I just wonder if it can get you sued for slander. Be careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting