Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 02:26 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,110,824 times

Advertisements

we turn our AC on when the outside temp is over 105
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 07:05 PM

4 posts, read 44,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Open the windows and buy one of these:

Costs a lot less to run and you get fresh air. I have two that I bought for around $20 at Wal-Mart and I have a house with a/c, which I try to avoid running due to electrical $$.

They turned your a/c off to protect their property. Enjoy the nice winter day while it lasts. Asking them to blow an entire day with a crew of 5 just for 1-2 days of abnormal temps is unreasonable. Don't like it? Buy a house.
Good idea but not sure how well that would work as our living room only has a sliding glass door to the balcony and the bedroom has a single 4-5 foot high sliding window that slides open sideways. So it obviously limits our options. I would love to buy a house but theres a factor called money. Furthermore i figuered it would take the crew about an hour to turn on the a/c so how is that wasting a whole day? Espically when the office gets numerous complaints on those warm days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Don't complain..Buy a better fan. 80-85 degrees isn't really that hot.
That really depends on where you live as humidity factors can make a big difference. Plus thats a matter of opinion. At 80* I sweat and I really dont like sweating when I am relaxing at home.
[quote] To cool it set a bucket of ice in front of your fan or buy a small indoor AC unit that doesn't sit outside.

Quote:
Open your front door and balcony + windows when you get home and the cross breeze should pull out all the stuffy air.
I wouldnt really want to leave my front door wide open as we have no screen door, cant install one and the door is in a out door hallway. However we have tried the cross breexe thing, and frankly it does not work well enough.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:15 AM

1 posts, read 429 times
I am amazed by all the people like "quit whining its not that bad". Yeah whatever, that doesn't help me at all. I can relate, because in my apartment its easily 85-90 degrees for the same reason, plus its very small, and the way its laid out, there is very little air circulation. So yeah, forgive the hell out of me for saying "Yeah this is really uncomfortable". And then those who are like "Well SOME people have no AC at all! you should be thankful!"...ok ummm...I don't recall OP ever suggesting that they were suffering some inhumane crime against humanity or that they were gonna die of a heatstroke, they just think its ridiculous that they're landlord forces them to be highly uncomfortable. And that is a legitimate complaint! Because I think some of you are forgetting something, they pay for this ****!!! If OP is like me, a lot! I pay a lot of money every month in exchange for being comfortable in my home, so pardon me if I get pretty irritated when I'm sweating in my bed as I sleep!

Old 02-07-2019, 07:24 AM

784 posts, read 729,262 times
No, a LL cannot shut off utilities in your name. That is known as a constructive eviction, and is illegal. I would call the cops.

HOWEVER, It sounds like you have an AC that is shared, and they can turn it off. The chilled water system is the same for everyone. Some person in the other part of the country decides when it comes on and off. Th electricity to run the condenser is paid by them, not you.

Whether or not you need A/C is a different matter. Who pays for A/C damages when it is run when it's cold outside, is a different matter as well. Many A/Cs have a thermostats that will not allow it to operate when it is too cold.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:35 AM

268 posts, read 272,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Mantis View Post
I am amazed by all the people like "quit whining its not that bad". Yeah whatever, that doesn't help me at all. I can relate, because in my apartment its easily 85-90 degrees for the same reason, plus its very small, and the way its laid out, there is very little air circulation. So yeah, forgive the hell out of me for saying "Yeah this is really uncomfortable". And then those who are like "Well SOME people have no AC at all! you should be thankful!"...ok ummm...I don't recall OP ever suggesting that they were suffering some inhumane crime against humanity or that they were gonna die of a heatstroke, they just think its ridiculous that they're landlord forces them to be highly uncomfortable. And that is a legitimate complaint! Because I think some of you are forgetting something, they pay for this ****!!! If OP is like me, a lot! I pay a lot of money every month in exchange for being comfortable in my home, so pardon me if I get pretty irritated when I'm sweating in my bed as I sleep!
I sure hope your rant on an almost 10 year old thread made you feel better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting