Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2009, 12:01 PM

3 posts, read 17,713 times

Advertisements

I was supposed to sublet an apt in Manhattan from another renter. I put down a $500 "good faith" deposit so that he wouldn't show it to other people. The receipt says, "X has accepted $500 to be applied toward prorated first month of rent at (address)." That's all.

On Friday, I found out I've been laid off from my job with two weeks severance. There is absolutely no way I'm in any position to rent an apartment at this cost now that I have no idea what my salary is/how long I will be unemployed.

I notified him Saturday morning that I would no longer be able to rent (that's 72 hours after giving him the deposit). He had already relisted the apartment on Craigslist late Friday night after not hearing from me. I am totally willing to offer him three days worth of prorated rent for his trouble, but is there any way I can the rest of my money back? Is there any recourse since nowhere was it said or written that the deposit was nonrefundable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 12:29 PM

850 posts, read 4,741,689 times
Did you fill out an application with specific terms to your money? If not and the only thing you have is your receipt stating that this money is going to be applied to your rent, then that was money to be applied to rent, not money to get back. I'd check into deposit laws in NY to see for sure, but where I am, you'd be out of luck.

Sorry to hear about your circumstances.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:13 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
I'm a LL and more than likely I'd give it back if you could prove to me that you had just lost your job.... Sorry to hear about the job loss and hope you find another one real soon.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I'm a LL and more than likely I'd give it back if you could prove to me that you had just lost your job.... Sorry to hear about the job loss and hope you find another one real soon.
Thanks. Do I just get documentation from my place of employment that I've been laid off? The guy thinks I'm incommunicado because I was forced to relinquish my work cell on Friday evening. I was only able to get call him today today and he hasn't returned. I had e-mailed him Saturday to notify him, explaining the circumstance, but received no response. Bad situation, I know, but there wasn't much I could do differently.

This crazy economy! One day you're making good money and the next day you have two weeks of severance and nowhere to live. Yikes.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytarheelz View Post
Did you fill out an application with specific terms to your money? If not and the only thing you have is your receipt stating that this money is going to be applied to your rent, then that was money to be applied to rent, not money to get back. I'd check into deposit laws in NY to see for sure, but where I am, you'd be out of luck.

Sorry to hear about your circumstances.
Thanks. No, I only have the receipt. I will look into deposit laws. It's a shame. I really need that money now.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:33 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCRenter1 View Post
Thanks. Do I just get documentation from my place of employment that I've been laid off? The guy thinks I'm incommunicado because I was forced to relinquish my work cell on Friday evening. I was only able to get call him today today and he hasn't returned. I had e-mailed him Saturday to notify him, explaining the circumstance, but received no response. Bad situation, I know, but there wasn't much I could do differently.

This crazy economy! One day you're making good money and the next day you have two weeks of severance and nowhere to live. Yikes.
I'd just ask for a note with the date you were laid off on the companies letterhead.

You had not moved in so my loss would not be that much..

Again, I hope you find a new job real soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting