Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 01:40 PM

3 posts, read 40,033 times

Advertisements

I own a home in Wisconsin. A year ago, I hired a property management company that was awful. The manager rented the home to the world's worst tenants, who then skipped town on the rent. I (not the manager) found a new tenant who is wonderful. She signed a lease that the property manager created. It has the property management company's name on the lease, not mine. I want to get rid of the property manager now (I only have to give her 30 days notice). But is the lease the tenant signed still valid? Or does she need to sign a new lease with me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2009, 01:42 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
The lease is with you. You hired the property manager to act on your behalf. At least that is how it is in Oregon.

Out here leases require contact information so at minimum you will have to amend your lease with the correct contact information. Personally I would just get a new lease (can buy them at many stores) and just execute a new one with the same terms on it and your contact information.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:52 PM

3 posts, read 40,033 times
Thanks. I'm worried if I get a new lease, the tenant will want to change the terms. I want to keep it month to month, but she wants a one year lease. I'm trying to avoid a new lease. Maybe a letter from me - stating the new contact information - would suffice?

Old 03-09-2009, 11:54 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
What are the terms of your management agreement? You may only need to give them 30 days' notice, however if leases are in existence at the time many will state that you still owe them 50% (or some percentage) of the commission on the remaining term of that lease.

Consult an attorney regarding contract law in your state. Is the lease is between the property manager and the tenant; in other words, who signed the lease (contract)? Generally speaking, those who signed an agreement are the only parties that can alter the agreement (contract).

Do you live in Wisconsin? Does the state require a property manager in the state if you do not?

Old 03-10-2009, 01:05 AM

1,570 posts, read 5,985,295 times
I don't know the local laws of your area. But the lease is in force until it is expired or breached. A manager is hired to act on your behalf. If the manager is fired it has no effect on the lease.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:14 PM

1 posts, read 17,839 times
I have a property manager that I want to fire. I dont have a lease. It was month to month verbal agreement. How long do I have to give them to get out.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:27 PM

2,249 posts, read 8,894,758 times
You need to read your property management contract that you signed. It will state in there what the terms are. If you have actual good cause to get out of the contract early, that's a possibility also.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 17,327 times
We have hired a PM but we havent heard from him for 2 months already despite our effort to keep in touch with him. The 2 months monthly rental hasnt been remitted to us even if the tenants said that they are sending the monthly checks to the PM. How do we fire the PM if we cant get hold of him? Is his abandonment of the resposibility for 2 months a proof that he can be fired without any verbal communication with him? When can we say that the contract between the PM and the tenant already null and void? We would also like to end the contract of the tenant asap. thanks.

Old 01-18-2010, 01:32 PM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Follow the contract(s) you have signed or hire an attorney to break them.

Is your PM licensed? Check the state's website.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 16,754 times
I have hired a property management company who has caused me nothing more than headaches. I was sent my first rental check only to find out all sorts of fees had been deducted. The tenant moved in May and by August she didn't pay rent. Now the PM is forced to file an eviction. I was not told about it but when I did call the PM said it casually that tenant had a problem with her email and she (PM) apologizes about not notifying me sooner. Another issue is that they have changed the percentage of their fees in the middle of the contract. I have two rentals with them which gave me a discount of 8% instead of the usual 10. What can I do to get out of the lease with the PM? Help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting