Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 11:01 PM

2 posts, read 11,189 times

Advertisements

I've read previous posts and replies regarding the smell of pot in hallways, and I'm aware of what I can and should do if I know who is responsible, but the problem is I can't tell.

It's very distinctive on one floor of my building. Problem is, I can't discern exactly which apartment it's coming from. It's gotten worse in the past few months, and I have contracters uncomfortable working on that floor, and now I'm showing a vacant apartment on that floor, and needless to say, it's a big turn-off to a prospective tenant.

Having been here a couple of years, we've done annual inspections and responded to maintenence requests in nearly every unit on that floor, and we still have no idea who it is because they've obviously made sure all signs of it are gone when we go in. All residents on this particular floor have been here since before we came along so it's not like we can point a finger at a new tenant.

I don't want to invade the privacy of everyone on that floor and potentially offend someone by calling them and asking if they are responsible (although I've talked to a couple of them already who claim they are not responsible).

I really need it to stop but am at a loss as to how to figure out the responsible resident without harrassing everyone on the floor. Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 11:24 AM

761 posts, read 3,415,907 times
Couldn't a reminder be sent out to the tenants, that illegal drugs are illegal and have been getting numerous complaints about smells in the hallways? That blanket approach might make them wake up and realize they are on the verge of getting busted.

The funny thing is they probably don't even realize it, kind of like people who smoke cigarettes don't really notice the smell as much as others.

Good Luck!

Old 05-04-2009, 11:40 AM

1,116 posts, read 2,963,810 times
Call the police next time you smell it. Unlike you, they don't have to give notice of an inspection, and they will go to every door until they figure it out. Pot is illegal, treat it like any other illegal activity.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:31 PM

101 posts, read 562,834 times
Pot really smells! Next time call the police or post a sign in the hallway alerting the tenants that if you suspect any drug use you will call the cops immediately it may scare them

Old 05-04-2009, 01:37 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
I had pot smokers show up at my house all the time (I had a roommate who invited them over enoug, so they just started showing up on their own after a while) and trust me, you can threaten them all you want, they won't stop smoking. I've called the cops on my own home (well, old home) numerous times and they'll scatter/stop for a few days, then creep back in. Threaten them with the police, send out angry letters but they WON'T STOP. Could you enlist the help of the other neighbors? Ask them if they've noticed anything?

Old 05-04-2009, 01:52 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Threaten them with the police, send out angry letters but they WON'T STOP.
But if the manager figures out who they are, they could be in violation of the terms of the lease and get kicked out. They might not stop smoking, but it would be someone else's problem.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:11 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
But if the manager figures out who they are, they could be in violation of the terms of the lease and get kicked out. They might not stop smoking, but it would be someone else's problem.
Quite true. I've been to parties where there were a LOT of people drinking and there was smoking paraphelia everywhere. Cops pulled up onto the driveway and by the time they got to the front door, everything was hidden and there was no smell... this was less than 3 minutes. I call it 'smokers ingenuity', because they can do amazing things when they're about to be caught.

I was just saying that pot smokers are wily, and unless you catch them in the act or they're growing pot, you'll have a hard time.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:15 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post
Call the police next time you smell it. Unlike you, they don't have to give notice of an inspection, and they will go to every door until they figure it out. Pot is illegal, treat it like any other illegal activity.
I would just call the police like this guy says. Whether we agree or not, its illegal and the person doing it in your buildling is potentially harming YOUR building, giving it a bad reputation, making it harder to rent out other units etc. What would help you is if the person got arrested, it might set things on a track to evict the person and remove the problem permanently. I personally would NOT try to address this myself, leave it in the hands of the police, thats their job. You don't know what other drugs they might be doing and what else they may have in their apartment.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:59 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Police won't respond in my area... Pot has been decriminalized and chances are someone in the unit has a medical card... so they are disabled and this is their prescribed med... Now, my city has a no tolerance attitude against smoking that is aggressively enforced... go figure

Anyway to add ventilation?

Old 04-10-2011, 05:31 PM

911 posts, read 2,599,921 times
to the original poster, i hope the problem gets solved as its terrible to have to smell that stuff. i hope you get better results than when i asked about that smell on here. some were telling me it "wasnt my problem"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting