Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 10:40 AM

8 posts, read 12,023 times

Advertisements

I'm one of those victims.

We hear about all the people who have lost their homes, but how often do we hear about the people who were renting homes/rooms from people who lost those homes who never informed their tenants? Talk about being completely blind-sided. Me and my 4 kids were literally tossed out in the streets. All our furniture was placed on the lawn where much of it was stolen and my kids came off the school bus after school right in front of the house to see all of this along with their fiends on the bus. Marriage crumbled as a result and I had to put myself in a self imposed exile away from them due to the fall out of the marriage. I have not seen my kids in 6 months; kids I raised from infants and who I lived with for up to 14 years. It hurts so bad.

Any similar stories?

Old 05-20-2009, 11:18 AM

1,788 posts, read 4,755,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDKAC View Post
I had to put myself in a self imposed exile away from them due to the fall out of the marriage. I have not seen my kids in 6 months; kids I raised from infants and who I lived with for up to 14 years. It hurts so bad.
I wouldn't let anything keep me from seeing my kids. If it's "self-imposed exile" you have no excuses.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:30 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
Quote:
I'm one of those victims.

We hear about all the people who have lost their homes, but how often do we hear about the people who were renting homes/rooms from people who lost those homes who never informed their tenants? Talk about being completely blind-sided. Me and my 4 kids were literally tossed out in the streets. All our furniture was placed on the lawn where much of it was stolen and my kids came off the school bus after school right in front of the house to see all of this along with their fiends on the bus. Marriage crumbled as a result and I had to put myself in a self imposed exile away from them due to the fall out of the marriage. I have not seen my kids in 6 months; kids I raised from infants and who I lived with for up to 14 years. It hurts so bad.

Any similar stories?
Oh yeah enough sob stories like you which are based on half truth!

First of all nobody gets evicted if the LL is in foreclosure without the tenant not having to had a notice that it was going to happen. maybe you never opened your mail but it was served to you or your wife....so you knew that something was going on...from that point on it takes month maybe over a year before anything else happens....

Many people play the innocent victim...I had a tenant asking me if I as a LL was not having any financial trouble...which i didn't. It ook only 2 months for him to vanish without paying all that he should have and even leaving some furniture behind. First when he asked me about my financials on the home he was renting he told me how sad it was that people down the street had to leave overnight due to being evicted due to the LL being in foreclosure. I know how foreclosures work and explained to him that this wasn't as he described and he thanked me for the explanation and soon he vanished him self on New years eve and i wonder what his story to the rest of the world will be....my story is in the public records and it is showing him to get awarded with a certified judgment from small claims court to pay me back...what is your record showing....?

Sorry I don't want to be mean, but I happen to know that nobody gets evicted without any notice!

Old 05-20-2009, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugZub View Post
I wouldn't let anything keep me from seeing my kids. If it's "self-imposed exile" you have no excuses.
I'll let you in on the full story soon.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:31 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
There has to be more to the story.

No one can put you out against your will in my state without a Judges order and that takes time and you will be notified of pending legal action and have the opportunity to plead before the Judge.

Some areas even have Foreclosure protection laws on the books to protect tenants that are not in breach of their rental agreement.

In any case, being tossed on the street without notice or judicial proceedings sounds like a lawsuit if I've ever heard one.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Oh yeah enough sob stories like you which are based on half truth!

First of all nobody gets evicted if the LL is in foreclosure without the tenant not having to had a notice that it was going to happen. maybe you never opened your mail but it was served to you or your wife....so you knew that something was going on...from that point on it takes month maybe over a year before anything else happens....

Many people play the innocent victim...I had a tenant asking me if I as a LL was not having any financial trouble...which i didn't. It ook only 2 months for him to vanish without paying all that he should have and even leaving some furniture behind. First when he asked me about my financials on the home he was renting he told me how sad it was that people down the street had to leave overnight due to being evicted due to the LL being in foreclosure. I know how foreclosures work and explained to him that this wasn't as he described and he thanked me for the explanation and soon he vanished him self on New years eve and i wonder what his story to the rest of the world will be....my story is in the public records and it is showing him to get awarded with a certified judgment from small claims court to pay me back...what is your record showing....?

Sorry I don't want to be mean, but I happen to know that nobody gets evicted without any notice!
Here's the rest of the story. I was going to type it out in full earlier, but I had to run out.

The owner came to us with a proposition to buy the house. After some pondering we agreed we would. He gave us 6 months to pick up some financing. Well, as these great times would have it, I lost my job. That threw things off for a while until I was able to pick up another. What I did not know at the time was that the owner was ANTICIPATING us buying the house and stopped paying the bank three months BEFORE he thought we would ave the house as our own. He was assuming we would have the financing and it would cover any back payments owed. When I lost the job, the 6-month agreement had to be revised. We still paid the rent though. At the time we had no idea what he doing behind the scenes, but we later found out he had some other properties in trouble and banked on our funds to help him through. Not a bad idea, but our rent was not going to the bank. Also, keep in mind, this was a guy who, with the help of a partner with great credit, was flipping houses - buy houses, talk renters into buying, refuse to the pay the rent for the last few moths leading up to ownership being changed, pocket that money.

The whole process was put off by about 3 months, enough to get the bank's attention and yes, the Sherrif showed up with the papers. Realizing this, we went to the owner and he had the audacity to tell us that if we came up with half of the owed amount he would pay the other half and get the mortgage back on track. In other words, pay the rent twice. We told him he could forget that and we decided to go ahead trying to buy the house before the foreclosure date but he seemed sour about this and bgan stalling inexplicably.

What complicated matters was, his partner fell out with him (we did not know this at the time) and the home was in that person's name. We never knew this other person or met them, but if any negotiations was going to go on, we needed their cooperation. Three months before the foreclosure date, we managed the track the person down and they were not really in the mood to talk. For some odd reason, they even threatened me with a lawsuit if I did not leave them alone. Eventually they gave in at the eleveth hour after we told her what was going on.

We got in touch (with her permission) with the bank which filed the foreclosure (the bank refused to speak to us earlier because we were not the owners nor did we have authorization). At this point it got rather fuzzy. A bank representative told us to send them a certain amount of money to stop the foreclosure. I did, but the money got to them (via Wstern Union) a few minutes AFTER the house was sold on the court's steps. My real estate mentor told me that in these hard times, banks were buying back their homes and in a sense, it turns out to be a blessing in disguise.

When we first agreed to buy this 5,000 sq. ft house, the owner wanted a little over $500,000. The bank was selling it for a little over half of that. Our case was a little unique because the house was foreclosed on, but we were still in the house. Since no individual bought it, no one came to the house. The bank sent a representative one week later. The bank represetative we were talking to was not the correct person to talk to because the house was already sold. Evetually we got through to the right person who instructed us on what to do under the circumstance. The bank was going to allow us to stay in the property while we tried to buy it.

We it a few snags along the way, but things seemed to be going well with paperwork being drawn up for sale, however, we learned fast that there were too many hands in the pot and while one person was doing on thing in the bank, someone else was doing another so we were getting mixed messages. To make an even longer story shorter, things hanged at the bank as the credit crunch came down even harder. A new head man came in with a new crew and they did not continue the policies of those we were dealing with. In quick order, they followed the general protocol, recognized this was a foreclosure and evicted us without notice. That same week, I lost that other job as they had to cut down employees.

I need to clarify the "without notice," however. The bank did file eviciton papers and served us, however, once they got a handle on what was going on, they called it off, but never really pulled it off the table. They just postponed it "just in case." What the new boss at the bank did was finally put it into effect without giving us any notice as the eviction time was now left open for any date they chose.

Had to fork out $1,000 to get movers and had to move the family in with my wife's family while I went to stay with a friend. With no job, I did not want to be a burden and decided to move to another state where my dad has a house, hoping to bag a job soon and move bak and forth to see my kids. Good news is, I was able to help my wife to get a home for them again (as the foreclosure was not in our name) but the bad news was, our marital problems were too severe to patch back up and they xisted before the house problems but beame irrepairable when everything came crashing in. It even got violent (not from my end) and I literally had to escape a threat to my life. This is part of the reason why I had to do a self-imposed exile to let tempers cool, prevent my kids seeing their mom and dad fighting and, I could not move in with her family as that would create even more tension. As of this writing, still waiting for a job to buy a ticket to get back to see them.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
There has to be more to the story.

No one can put you out against your will in my state without a Judges order and that takes time and you will be notified of pending legal action and have the opportunity to plead before the Judge.

Some areas even have Foreclosure protection laws on the books to protect tenants that are not in breach of their rental agreement.

In any case, being tossed on the street without notice or judicial proceedings sounds like a lawsuit if I've ever heard one.
I'm glad we agree on this...the story doesn't add up. In Florida a tenant will get notice that the house is in foreclosure and even if the tenant had moved in after the lis pendens had been filed and the papers were served before the tenant moved in, the tenant would have been served with eviction papers and the OP stated he had no clue....well did he ever open the mail? The serving of the papers would either be done by a police officer or a processor and the tenant would for sure know that something else is being served than a ticket to win the lotery.

I don't think in other States it is possible to evict without getting a notice...

Old 05-20-2009, 04:45 PM

Oh, I know now there were things I could have done, avenues I could have taken, but yes, lessons have been learned and I know all kinds of things can be seen and said in hindsight. Still trying to get on my feet, but just happy my kids have a roof over their heads again.

I just put this out here to simply show how tragic some of the stories out here are. Could some things have been avoided? Certainly. Could I have done things differently? Certainly in some cases, but while under a tremendous amount of pressure with little funds, the best of decisions might not have been made.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:46 PM

Ultrarunner and Benetlebee I hope you now have a little more clarification.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Here's the rest of the story. I was going to type it out in full earlier, but I had to run out.

The owner came to us with a proposition to buy the house. After some pondering we agreed we would. He gave us 6 months to pick up some financing. Well, as these great times would have it, I lost my job. That threw things off for a while until I was able to pick up another. What I did not know at the time was that the owner was ANTICIPATING us buying the house and stopped paying the bank three months BEFORE he thought we would ave the house as our own. He was assuming we would have the financing and it would cover any back payments owed. When I lost the job, the 6-month agreement had to be revised. We still paid the rent though. At the time we had no idea what he doing behind the scenes, but we later found out he had some other properties in trouble and banked on our funds to help him through. Not a bad idea, but our rent was not going to the bank. Also, keep in mind, this was a guy who, with the help of a partner with great credit, was flipping houses - buy houses, talk renters into buying, refuse to the pay the rent for the last few moths leading up to ownership being changed, pocket that money.

The whole process was put off by about 3 months, enough to get the bank's attention and yes, the Sherrif showed up with the papers. Realizing this, we went to the owner and he had the audacity to tell us that if we came up with half of the owed amount he would pay the other half and get the mortgage back on track. In other words, pay the rent twice. We told him he could forget that and we decided to go ahead trying to buy the house before the foreclosure date but he seemed sour about this and bgan stalling inexplicably.

What complicated matters was, his partner fell out with him (we did not know this at the time) and the home was in that person's name. We never knew this other person or met them, but if any negotiations was going to go on, we needed their cooperation. Three months before the foreclosure date, we managed the track the person down and they were not really in the mood to talk. For some odd reason, they even threatened me with a lawsuit if I did not leave them alone. Eventually they gave in at the eleveth hour after we told her what was going on.

We got in touch (with her permission) with the bank which filed the foreclosure (the bank refused to speak to us earlier because we were not the owners nor did we have authorization). At this point it got rather fuzzy. A bank representative told us to send them a certain amount of money to stop the foreclosure. I did, but the money got to them (via Wstern Union) a few minutes AFTER the house was sold on the court's steps. My real estate mentor told me that in these hard times, banks were buying back their homes and in a sense, it turns out to be a blessing in disguise.

When we first agreed to buy this 5,000 sq. ft house, the owner wanted a little over $500,000. The bank was selling it for a little over half of that. Our case was a little unique because the house was foreclosed on, but we were still in the house. Since no individual bought it, no one came to the house. The bank sent a representative one week later. The bank represetative we were talking to was not the correct person to talk to because the house was already sold. Evetually we got through to the right person who instructed us on what to do under the circumstance. The bank was going to allow us to stay in the property while we tried to buy it.

We it a few snags along the way, but things seemed to be going well with paperwork being drawn up for sale, however, we learned fast that there were too many hands in the pot and while one person was doing on thing in the bank, someone else was doing another so we were getting mixed messages. To make an even longer story shorter, things hanged at the bank as the credit crunch came down even harder. A new head man came in with a new crew and they did not continue the policies of those we were dealing with. In quick order, they followed the general protocol, recognized this was a foreclosure and evicted us without notice. That same week, I lost that other job as they had to cut down employees.

I need to clarify the "without notice," however. The bank did file eviciton papers and served us, however, once they got a handle on what was going on, they called it off, but never really pulled it off the table. They just postponed it "just in case." What the new boss at the bank did was finally put it into effect without giving us any notice as the eviction time was now left open for any date they chose.

Had to fork out $1,000 to get movers and had to move the family in with my wife's family while I went to stay with a friend. With no job, I did not want to be a burden and decided to move to another state where my dad has a house, hoping to bag a job soon and move bak and forth to see my kids. Good news is, I was able to help my wife to get a home for them again (as the foreclosure was not in our name) but the bad news was, our marital problems were too severe to patch back up and they xisted before the house problems but beame irrepairable when everything came crashing in. It even got violent (not from my end) and I literally had to escape a threat to my life. This is part of the reason why I had to do a self-imposed exile to let tempers cool, prevent my kids seeing their mom and dad fighting and, I could not move in with her family as that would create even more tension. As of this writing, still waiting for a job to buy a ticket to get back to see them.
Just read the rest of your story after I had posted my last one.

Sorry to hear your story but I don't change my opinion about certain things. First I'm sorry to say that you are an easy victim...

You have maritial problems and want to buy a house with your wife while the financial mess already was going on with the house. A LL who couldn't be trusted to pay the mortgage is a huge red flag. Buying a home while having maritial issues isn't smart either....well let me stop since the whole process,
(if true)...was a set up for dissaster!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting