Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 11:37 PM

3 posts, read 6,087 times

Advertisements

I lived in an apartment in San Jose, CA for 5 years and 3 months. When I moved in per my rental agreement it was stated that refund of security deposit was to happen in 21 days after owner regains possession of the premises. I received payment 58 days after turning over the keys. During the move-out walk through it was noted that the carpets would need to be cleaned and that was the only deduction noted. At that time I agreed to a quoted amount with the property manager. When I received payment from the land-lord the carpet cleaning was for a lesser amount and additional deductions (paint & change of door knob) were made. (It was noted during my move-in inspection that the walls had stains and holes had been filled in.)

In the letter I'm writing to the land-lord am I correct in stating that due to exceeding 21 days from when I turned over my keys I'm due the entire security deposit amount. Am I able to receive any penalties at this time or is that in small claims court?

Also, what is the normal wear and tear life expectancy of a rental apartments carpet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 07:10 PM

30 posts, read 81,812 times
I'm also from SJ

You are correct that, under CA tenant and LL Law, the LL has 21 days to refund your deposit, including all receipts from business who did the work and or/hours recorded that the LL/LL employees did the work.

Because the LL failed to refund your deposit within 21 days, you are actually due your entire refund. You must call AND write (with Proof of Delivery) your LL with the remaining amount.

Type in CA Tenant and LL laws and print out the copy in the handbook where it states this, sending it along with your letter.

Old 05-05-2011, 02:31 PM

27,219 posts, read 46,807,770 times
In Florida the LL has 15 days unless the LL wants to deduct an amount which makes it than 30 days...

We have to sent out a letter with the deductions and if there are deductions we will specify them...than the tenant has 15 days to reply/object....which can cause a delay in the amount of days if the tenant is waiting a long time to reply.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:55 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,506,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina2964 View Post
I lived in an apartment in San Jose, CA for 5 years and 3 months. When I moved in per my rental agreement it was stated that refund of security deposit was to happen in 21 days after owner regains possession of the premises. I received payment 58 days after turning over the keys. During the move-out walk through it was noted that the carpets would need to be cleaned and that was the only deduction noted. At that time I agreed to a quoted amount with the property manager. When I received payment from the land-lord the carpet cleaning was for a lesser amount and additional deductions (paint & change of door knob) were made. (It was noted during my move-in inspection that the walls had stains and holes had been filled in.)

In the letter I'm writing to the land-lord am I correct in stating that due to exceeding 21 days from when I turned over my keys I'm due the entire security deposit amount. Am I able to receive any penalties at this time or is that in small claims court?

Also, what is the normal wear and tear life expectancy of a rental apartments carpet?
Normally, it is x days from either when you return keys or when your lease ends, whichever is later, so the only question I have is, Did you move out early? If not, then 58 days is totally unacceptable.

Carpets life expectancy varies on quality of carpet. 5 years, 7 years, and 10 years are all reasonable depending on the circumstances.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:28 PM

Thank you for your help.

I do not have the landlords phone number, only the property manager. Should I call the property manager or is it OK just to have sent the letter?

Old 05-09-2011, 07:16 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,143,181 times
You other states are brutal. We have 45 in MD to return the deposit.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:22 AM

Default Late return of security deposit?

One other item, should I cash the check I received or is it best to wait for the landlords reply?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting