Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 02:17 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbatiste View Post
Thanks for the sound advice. I suspect because it is an illegal apartment the judge will allow the tenant tenant to occupy the apartment rent free. I just hope it's not longer than 2 or 3 months.
I believe you're incorrect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 02:32 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Wow, now that looks warm and homie
Everybodys got a motive....Sheesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
The pics below are of a triplex that I actually rented the center unit in, this is no joke ! Friends recommended this place to us when we needed to rent a place in a hurry. They used to live in it and told us it was really nice and rustic. I think they just wanted us close to have a free babysitter (my wife) and a firewood cutting helper (me) ! We could smell the neighbors in one unit cooking and hear their toothless hillbilly giggling having farting contests and the neighbor on the other side on the first day of us living there welcomed us by asking to use our restroom and peeing all over our bathroom. We lasted two weeks there.

No light fixture in the kitchen, 2 inch gap under back door, 14 roof leaks, live electrical wires sticking out of walls all over, rotten porch you could step through, no bedroom door, no opening windows, only a huge wood-stove for heat and the landlord was an old burned out hippy who is brain dead from drugs and a very paranoid son who threw a hissy fit when he saw me taking these pictures.
I'm not sure if there is any such thing as an "illegal apartment" in our state ! The guy wanted to use the building for a restaurant but the county wouldn't let him so he made it into a 3 plex and charges 400 bucks per month. Freaking insane, the group of shacks and trailers is called Sourdough Village and is up Prospect Creek a few miles up from Thompson Falls Mt.
The first picture is the front and the second picture is the back. You can see my kayak trailer with the blue tarp on it in the second picture next to my wood pile. One of the kayaks under that tarp is a sit on top that I call my "Tupperware Trawler" and it is shown on my City-Data forum profile picture.
Never rent a place sight unseen no matter what so called friends say.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:58 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
The pics below are of a triplex that I actually rented the center unit in, this is no joke ! Friends recommended this place to us when we needed to rent a place in a hurry. They used to live in it and told us it was really nice and rustic. I think they just wanted us close to have a free babysitter (my wife) and a firewood cutting helper (me) ! We could smell the neighbors in one unit cooking and hear their toothless hillbilly giggling having farting contests and the neighbor on the other side on the first day of us living there welcomed us by asking to use our restroom and peeing all over our bathroom. We lasted two weeks there.

No light fixture in the kitchen, 2 inch gap under back door, 14 roof leaks, live electrical wires sticking out of walls all over, rotten porch you could step through, no bedroom door, no opening windows, only a huge wood-stove for heat and the landlord was an old burned out hippy who is brain dead from drugs and a very paranoid son who threw a hissy fit when he saw me taking these pictures.
I'm not sure if there is any such thing as an "illegal apartment" in our state ! The guy wanted to use the building for a restaurant but the county wouldn't let him so he made it into a 3 plex and charges 400 bucks per month. Freaking insane, the group of shacks and trailers is called Sourdough Village and is up Prospect Creek a few miles up from Thompson Falls Mt.
The first picture is the front and the second picture is the back. You can see my kayak trailer with the blue tarp on it in the second picture next to my wood pile. One of the kayaks under that tarp is a sit on top that I call my "Tupperware Trawler" and it is shown on my City-Data forum profile picture.
Never rent a place sight unseen no matter what so called friends say.

That is fabulous!! It's amazing what people try to rent out...
I was looking for a small studio many years back and there were a few that were just amazing.. One guy was trying to rent out his pole barn with plywood strapped to it (he said I could use the kitchen/bathroom inside the main house, but from 8am-6pm they were at work so I would have to find another way....) and they wanted $600 a month.

Another was a Home Depot shed (ya know, the slap together wood kind you see outside the stores all the time) and had an extension cord running from the main house to the shed for electricity, no toilet, no running water and a gate latch on the door instead of a doorknob. They wanted $700 because they 'paid quite a bit for the shed, and wanted to make their money back'.

I love crazy people.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:49 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,665,293 times
If you are in NYC, they can indeed sue you for back rent even if they knew the apt was illegal.

Old 09-21-2009, 01:21 PM

Also, you can get fined up to $15k (depending on how many times you get a citation) and $100/day as well if this is in NYC and you converted part of a house to become an apartment without the proper paperwork. If it goes to housing court, they're going to find out it was an illegal apt and you'll be facing a hefty fine.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:24 PM

278 posts, read 1,520,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I believe you're incorrect.
So you think the judge will tell the tenant to leave an illegal apartment?...even if they haven't found a new place to live? I figure the judge would give them time to find a new place. I am prepared to change it back. I have the contractor waiting....but the tenant is still there. No violations from the city yet. No one has called 311. I'm hoping I can evict the tenant before the city gets there.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:43 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,672,655 times
Quote:
So you think the judge will tell the tenant to leave an illegal apartment?...even if they haven't found a new place to live? I figure the judge would give them time to find a new place. I am prepared to change it back. I have the contractor waiting....but the tenant is still there. No violations from the city yet. No one has called 311. I'm hoping I can evict the tenant before the city gets there.

Last edited by jdm2008; 09-21-2009 at 05:01 PM..

Old 09-21-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Yes, you've got to change it back to avoid the $100/day fine, and then you'll have to actually go through the entire eviction process, which can take 4-6 months.

You'll have to go to the courts to evict the tenant, and you can bet that the tenant is going to tell the city the apt is illegal.

If it is a house that has been illegally converted into 3 or more apartments, you can't legally collect rent as per the city.

You might want to post this in the NYC forum as there are several landlords there who could probably advise you better - the laws regarding this in NYC are much different from the rest of the country.

Personally? I'd offer him some cash to move out quick.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:49 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
In San Jose' CA a home-owner rented his garage to an immigrant family of 5 or 6 with a one year lease... neighbors called code compliance and there was a hearing...

The judge ordered the home owner to allow the family to live in the main house till the end of the lease as long as the rent was paid... it made the news several times...

Old 09-22-2009, 06:29 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
We are trying to evict a tenant. However, we heard that the tenant can sue us for back rent. Is this true? How common is this in NY? Does it matter that the tenant and the landlord both knew it was an illegal apartment? No one has called the city regarding the apartment. We are currently serving hold over papers through landlord and tenant court.

You can sue for anything. But if illeagl then the tenant can be given immiuntiy to testify against the lanlord in any state by the authroites.I would say that whenh you evict your likely to get fined for violating the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting