Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 02:15 PM

668 posts, read 2,358,286 times

Advertisements

I signed a lease for 6 months, but I'm paying entirely in cash (that counts as illegal right?), and I get receipts for it. Basically, when I first saw the place, I said I have the money for deposit and first month rent and I got the key right there. No background checks or nothing. Well my lease is up at the end of October and I haven't paid rent for September or October yet. I'm thinking about skipping the bill. Before you call me a cheap skate and a criminal, my actions are justified as I lost my $1700 laptop (that I saved up for with my hard earned money) due to an idiot tennant who they let live in the apartment above me (he was an ex-gangbanger who got his eyeball shot out). Well this guy accidently flooded my apartment by sticking a rag in the sink and leaving the water running in the bathroom till it came on down to my place and flooded the place ruining my laptop and some clothes. The landlord did nothing, except give me a check for $300 to compensate, and said he would not help in pursuing getting my money back. I still have no laptop, the 300 does nothing for me.

Well this my revenge so to speak. So out of curiosity, if I were to leave by the end of October with not having paid september or october, can it ruin my credit? they do have my social security number, but I am pretty sure I am paying illegally. Not to mention, the landlord would keep my deposit too. Can they do anything? What would most likely happen if I did that? Thanks alot. I'm not a criminal btw. Just an angry tennant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 02:55 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,838,168 times
Paying in cash does not mean that the apartment is illegal. Many..MANY landlords only accept cash because they've been burnt by former tenants that like to pass bad checks. Also, in most illegal apartment, the landlord will not give a receipt.

Your renters insurance should of covered your laptop OR you should of sued your "idiot" upstairs neighbor. Your landlord had no obligation to give you any compensation....and yet you still want to screw him.

You sound like a child with your "revenge" crap. Expect to be sued for September/Octobers rent plus attorney fees, court costs and late fees...which WILL destroy your credit and make it nearly impossible to rent elsewhere.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:00 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post
I signed a lease for 6 months, but I'm paying entirely in cash (that counts as illegal right?), and I get receipts for it. Basically, when I first saw the place, I said I have the money for deposit and first month rent and I got the key right there. No background checks or nothing. Well my lease is up at the end of October and I haven't paid rent for September or October yet. I'm thinking about skipping the bill. Before you call me a cheap skate and a criminal, my actions are justified as I lost my $1700 laptop (that I saved up for with my hard earned money) due to an idiot tennant who they let live in the apartment above me (he was an ex-gangbanger who got his eyeball shot out). Well this guy accidently flooded my apartment by sticking a rag in the sink and leaving the water running in the bathroom till it came on down to my place and flooded the place ruining my laptop and some clothes. The landlord did nothing, except give me a check for $300 to compensate, and said he would not help in pursuing getting my money back. I still have no laptop, the 300 does nothing for me.

Well this my revenge so to speak. So out of curiosity, if I were to leave by the end of October with not having paid september or october, can it ruin my credit? they do have my social security number, but I am pretty sure I am paying illegally. Not to mention, the landlord would keep my deposit too. Can they do anything? What would most likely happen if I did that? Thanks alot. I'm not a criminal btw. Just an angry tennant.
The landlord is not responsible for this damage to your personal property, so stop acting like a petulant child and just pay your rent. By the way, using cash to pay your rent can be perfectly legal, and the fact that your landlord is issuing you receipts for it makes me suspect that they are on the up-and-up about it. Oh, and you're damned lucky they gave you ANYTHING for your property damage, since it wasn't their fault.

If you refuse to pay your rent, I hope they report you to all the credit agencies as a deadbeat.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:20 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,099,927 times
The first sentence of the OP said it all. You better read up on the landlord/tenant laws in your state ASAP.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:23 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Yes, this is EXACTLY the reason why you should have renter's insurance. The owner has no obligation to reimburse you.

In addition, unless he happens to be an attorney also, he not only has no obligation to "help" you pursue collecting from the other tenant, but if he did so, that would be practicing law without a license, which is illegal. He's almost certainly going to turn it over to his insurance company, who will then try to collect for damages to the building from that other tenant. If you had renters insurance, you would turn it in to them, and they would also attempt to collect from the other tenant.

I agree with the others, if the LL had you sign a lease and is giving you receipts for your cash, it is probably not an illegal apartment. The Landlord would be perfectly within their rights to sue you for rent due and legal fees to collect. And yes, that would hurt your credit.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:30 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
God I hope this is a troll post. If not, my estimation of mankind just got knocked down another notch.

Your landlord is not responsible for the damage to your property, your upstairs neighbor is. His actions, not the landlord's, were the proximate cause of your damages. He's the one you should be going after, not your landlord.

The $300 your landlord gave you was $300 more than than he was obligated to give you. And considering what an ungrateful bollox you're being about it, it was $300 more than he should have given you for any reason whatsoever. Don't be a deadbeat; pay your rent.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:41 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times
The landlord didn't check you just like he didn't check the upstairs tenent so what fault is your landlord? Sounds like a nice guy to me. There aren't many landlords who take a man's word of being a good tenent.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:00 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,778,009 times
Wow your not an angry tennant just a piece of crap

Old 10-06-2009, 03:22 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,154,335 times
How do you have any positive rep? Just clueless on so many levels. And you've already not paid September? Jesus. Pay your rent!!!

Old 10-06-2009, 10:32 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banx View Post

As the others have said that is what renter's insurance is for. Your landlord is not responsible for the damage done to your property by the tenant in another unit, even if he is that tenant's landlord, unless the damage was due to some sort of negligence on his part, i.e. the tenant above you reported a plumbing problem and the LL failed to fix it.

Since your LL did no background check on you, that should have been a clue to you that the "idiot they let live above you" was also not subjected to a background check. Most people would see that as a blazing red flag and would pass on that particular rental. I personally would have.

Basically you were lucky to get anything at all, and you are doubly lucky your landlord hasn't threatened to evict you yet seeing as you are over a month behind on your rent. If you skip out on your lease your LL will probably sue you and will definitely win a judgment against you which will affect your credit for years to come. All over a laptop that your LL is not responsible for anyway.

No offense, but grow up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting