Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2009, 09:26 AM

9 posts, read 74,419 times

Advertisements

Today my landlady she called me about the bleach stain / mark on the wall-to-wall carpet right outside the bathroom.
She was in the apartment with a handyman to look into something that has to be repaired in the bathroom.

Honestly, I have been so busy the past couple of weeks I barely noticed this bleach stain but I was going to mention it to her.

I want to offer to pay to have it repaired (I read you can either dye it or cut a piece of carpet from the closet and replace it). I only moved in two and one-half months ago and I want to keep my good standing with the landlords.
If and when it does get repaired do I have to pay the whole cost? I think the carpet is at least 6 years old (It is in good condition though). Responses will be appreciated, thanks!

And if anyone can give advice - I am not sure how it got there, I clean with bathroom with Scrubbing Bubbles, Swiffer and Tylex Bathroom but I didn’t think it would bleach anything and/or spill on the carpet. I probably got overzealous with the cleaning because of the mold problem in the bathroom (which is supposedly being repaired).
I know that Is not an excuse though.

Any suggestions on avoiding bleach / cleaner stains on the area right outside the bathroom?

Last edited by florencevassy; 10-14-2009 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: Full of extra code and spelling errors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 09:50 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
First, talk to your landlord and see what you can work out.

If in future you think it could happen again, just buy an inexpensive clear plastic mat for that spot.

Old 10-14-2009, 04:07 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
Check your local laws to be sure, but as far as I've heard on these boards, the following is the case pretty much everywhere.

If the entire carpet has to be replaced, they cannot charge you for the full cost. It has to be prorated over the expected life of the carpet. If the carpet really is 6 years old, they probably can't really charge you much, if anything, for replacement. This may depend on the expected lifespan of the carpet. If it is cheap apartment carpet, it is probably already past its time. However, if it is nice house carpet, some of those are rated to 10 years. It also may depend on state law. I understand some states have an average lifespan or maximum that should be used for rentals.

However, if the carpet was otherwise in good shape, and they opt to do a repair, as far as I understand it, you would be responsible for the cost of the repair/patch.

As for how it got there, most strong bathroom cleaning agents can bleach carpets. You probably either tracked it out on a foot, or one of the bottles dripped.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:06 AM

9 posts, read 74,419 times
Thanks for the responses! I am pretty ignorant about carpets (I prefer bare floors and area rugs) but it seems like a pretty decent carpet.

I left her a voicemail (they don't use email) on the 14th stating that I will pay for the repair.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:49 PM

548 posts, read 2,097,953 times
Depending on the size of the stain and the color/texture/pattern/age of the carpet, I've used waterproof markers, fabric dye sticks or acrylic artists paints. Rub a little in, overlap the area, buff it with a cloth before it dries to even it out, repeat if necessary to match.

Last week I was rushing out and noticed I had a pasta sauce stain on the cuff of the clean white shirt I had just put on. I used the White-Out from my desk to conceal it.

If the carpet is older, and essentially no longer shows a bleach stain, then you could consider the problem solved no matter how you fix it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting