Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2009, 08:22 AM

633 posts, read 1,950,705 times

Advertisements

I was researching an incontinence problem for my own dog when I came across this post from another forum. It is a lady who rents and was trying to figure out what to do for her dog. If she was an owner she would not have hesitated. And it is clear to me she was only worried about the the damage to her furniture not the floors, carpet, apartment or the other tenants.

Young female
Thanks for these truly helpful postings. My dog - a young 3 year pit mix - has incontinence which according to her vet is a typical problem among females that have been spayed. When the vet prescribed a med about a year ago, I resisted thinking I'd rather just deal with the problem than put her on medication for the rest of her life and what's a little bit of urine around the house anyway? But the problem had taken its toll on the both of us, preventing us from cuddling on the bed or couch (which sucks) and generally making my small apartment smell like urine much of the time (also not good). "

So as a tenant or perspective tenant the next time you are having a problem with your LL or getting an apartment, just try to put yourself in the owners position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 08:55 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,736,811 times
[quote=new jersey mike;11363997]I was researching an incontinence problem for my own dog when I came across this post from another forum. It is a lady who rents and was trying to figure out what to do for her dog. If she was an owner she would not have hesitated. And it is clear to me she was only worried about the the damage to her furniture not the floors, carpet, apartment or the other tenants.

Young female
Thanks for these truly helpful postings. My dog - a young 3 year pit mix - has incontinence which according to her vet is a typical problem among females that have been spayed. When the vet prescribed a med about a year ago, I resisted thinking I'd rather just deal with the problem than put her on medication for the rest of her life and what's a little bit of urine around the house anyway? But the problem had taken its toll on the both of us, preventing us from cuddling on the bed or couch (which sucks) and generally making my small apartment smell like urine much of the time (also not good). "

So as a tenant or perspective tenant the next time you are having a problem with your LL or getting an apartment, just try to put yourself in the owners position.[/QUOTE

Unfortunately I've walked into homes OWNED by the pet owners with the same problem. There is a way for humans to live in clean harmony with their furry friends just takes patience and work. Too many renters & owners take the easy way out. Just the statement that they could no longer cuddle on couch or bed did it for me...yuck...and I have a dog & 3 cats

Old 11-01-2009, 07:56 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
I am as vigilant in trying to prevent my cats from urinating on my floors here as I was in my rental.

I admit that one cat did frequently urinate and defecate on the floor in my rental. I cleaned it up immediately and tried to confine her as best I could to tiled floors, but the only way to do that was to lock her in the master bathroom where her howling disturbed the neighbors and she started to tear up the door. So scratch that.

I did have the carpets professionally cleaned every 3 months with a company that specialized in removing pet odors, and I even paid to have the grout sealed; my LL agreed to take pets with unsealed grout in her unit. That was stupid of her. Every time my cat urinated on the carpet, I put the spot bot on it immediately.

I did end up getting my full deposit back, but I think that is only because I spent time every single day cleaning the damage my cat did to that unit. Most renters are not nearly as conscientious.

So I can completely understand why a landlord would not want to accept pets in a house or unit. As my cats die off, I will not be getting new cats to replace them. I am done with cats. Done with cleaning up pee, poop, and vomit every day. (There are 3 of them.)

Old 11-02-2009, 05:18 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
That's a good point. It is too bad that people like that make it rough on the other potential renters who have pets.

We allow people to have them but I'm not so sure for how much longer. Right now we're in the process of evicting a tenant who has two dogs. I'm pretty sure she'll drag it out to the end and just as sure she'll walk away and leave the dogs there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting