Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2009, 05:57 AM

1 posts, read 16,047 times

Advertisements

about seven days ago the main sewer line in the duplex I live in with my wife and Five year old child
backed up. This has been an on going problem for the entire five years we have lived there./ As usual the land lord thinks problem is minor , after renting snake and attempting to clear pipes the landlord is satisfied he has repaired problem. Unfortunatly That was not the case. I advised the land lord that every time he used his utilities in his unit that all of the water and raw sewage was coming up through the wax seal of toilet and into
my Bathroom floor . The land lord said he would repair the folowing day , mean while i would halve to clean all of his feces from my bathroom. The land lord continued to use his utilities halving full knoledge that it was ending up in my unit.
The following day the land lord and I discused the possibilities ,we came to conclusion roots had infaltrated main sewer pipe .upon opening trench
to main pipe about a foot of sewage emptied into
bathroom ,I asked why he had not called his insurance company or a profesional to fix problem in timely manner ,because of my concern for my family's health i dont think it's healthy to live in sewage . He continues to use his utilities with same outcome and I dont have the means in witch move Iwas forced to send my wife and child
to my inlaws home .The feces has now been in home for seven days i have no use of toilet or shower etc etc , Whoo can i call to force him to
to fix the problem immediatly by profesional . he does not know what he is doing . i think he should
halve to relocate me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 10:10 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Does any body care View Post
about seven days ago the main sewer line in the duplex I live in with my wife and Five year old child
backed up. This has been an on going problem for the entire five years we have lived there./ As usual the land lord thinks problem is minor , after renting snake and attempting to clear pipes the landlord is satisfied he has repaired problem. Unfortunatly That was not the case. I advised the land lord that every time he used his utilities in his unit that all of the water and raw sewage was coming up through the wax seal of toilet and into
my Bathroom floor . The land lord said he would repair the folowing day , mean while i would halve to clean all of his feces from my bathroom. The land lord continued to use his utilities halving full knoledge that it was ending up in my unit.
The following day the land lord and I discused the possibilities ,we came to conclusion roots had infaltrated main sewer pipe .upon opening trench
to main pipe about a foot of sewage emptied into
bathroom ,I asked why he had not called his insurance company or a profesional to fix problem in timely manner ,because of my concern for my family's health i dont think it's healthy to live in sewage . He continues to use his utilities with same outcome and I dont have the means in witch move Iwas forced to send my wife and child
to my inlaws home .The feces has now been in home for seven days i have no use of toilet or shower etc etc , Whoo can i call to force him to
to fix the problem immediatly by profesional . he does not know what he is doing . i think he should
halve to relocate me.
What state are you in? I would imagine you would call the health department or the building inspector. Make sure you have pictures and evidence. There's a chance that the inspectors will force you to leave if things are as bad as you say. Then you may be able to collect from the landlord for moving expenses and maybe many other things. Do you have certified recipts of your communication with the landlord? If not you should send some type of demand letter demanding that he fix the problems. Make sure you include pictures as well. Very important to have many pictures, even witnesses if you can.

You should also speak to an attorney, your situation is so outragous I imagine you could sue for damages and or/withold rent. In some states there are orgs that offer free legal advice to tenants.

I'm not a lawyer though so i can't give legal advice.

Last edited by jdm2008; 10-30-2009 at 10:26 AM..

Old 10-30-2009, 07:42 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
There are two places you can contact:

The Health Department

Code Enforcement

That is so unhealthy, I do hope you've another arrangement. I would contact both.
Make certain to emphasize the magnitude of the problem.

I've never dealt with The Health Department, Code Enforcement , yes.
Without a working toilet or shower, the unit would be considered uninhabitable,
an inspector will ask you to make alternate living arrangements, even if its temporary.
The LL is given a precise amount of time for repairs or face fines,
code will return and re-inspect. You're well within your rights to break the lease.

Contacting an attorney is another consideration.
Let us know the outcome and Good Luck

Old 10-30-2009, 09:48 PM

335 posts, read 1,310,940 times
Like virgode said, Code Enforcement and the Health Dept.I had a problem with a dead rat inside the wall. After going through the usual run around with the leasing office I called the city.Spoke with the Code Dept and told the leasing office that if the issue was not corrected they would send someone over.That same day I had the maintenance supervisor and a helper there asking me what I wanted done.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:31 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
The LL is fully aware of circumstances, this poster sent his family to relatives,
its completely uninhabitable. IMO his opportunity to make the correction has past,
with the exception of a certified letter, (OP make sure you have a copy and for
your protection, should be mailed certified addressed to yourself, unopened) I'd have nothing further
to say until inspectors roll in, they'll do all the talking at that point.

This slumlord deserves what ever he gets nailed with.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:44 AM

5 posts, read 277,603 times
Call Code Enforcement and the Health department. I am dealing with a very similar issue right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting