Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 06:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,454 times

Advertisements

I need help on finding and apartment or a house that dont to background check in a nice area in Cincinnati ohio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 03:03 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,012,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacausia isham30 View Post
I need help on finding and apartment or a house that dont to background check in a nice area in Cincinnati ohio

Good luck.

Try Craigs List...you can find all sorts of rentals there.

No decent landlord with units in a nice, safe area, will rent without doing a credit/background check.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:34 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
No decent landlord with units in a nice, safe area, will rent without doing a credit/background check.
I don't think that's true. Most private LLs where I live don't but maybe those in your area do. I've heard this generalization so many times that I was curious and did my own little mini-survey, asking friends in CT, MA. NC, OH, TN, GA, IL, VA, SC and NY what the relevant situation was where they live. Some of them are private landlords with one or two units, some are renters and a couple are "professional landlords".

To a man (or a woman!) they echoed what I supposed. That residential property management companies and multi-unit landlords almost always do background/credit checks but that private landlords generally don't. Apples and oranges.

But the poster who's asking about area-specific rentals should, I agree, look on craigslist, local bulletin boards and in the classified section of local newspapers - and check roadside "for rent" signs - for options. There are plenty of private "decent" landlords in "nice, safe" areas who don't go to such lengths but most will require assurance/proof of employment or sufficient income and often references from previous landlords.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:48 AM

575 posts, read 1,468,534 times
You're not going to find anything in Cincinnati, OH that is in a safe neighborhood if you're not willing to undergo a background or credit check. What is on your background or credit report that you're worried about? It would probably be a better decision to talk to potential landlords about whatever it is you're worried about and try to find one that will work with you. I used to live in Cincinnati and that's not the kind of place where I'd want to get stuck living in a troubled area.

ETA - Stay away from large corporations. You're nothing but a checklist of criteria to them. Private landlords are the ones who will be most likely to look at your situation from all angles. Craigslist is good but be careful, watch out for scams, and don't ever pay anything up front other than a small application fee at most. In Cinci, there's a lot of places that have for rent signs in the windows - especially if you look above stores. I don't know how it is now, but you used to be able to live in Newport, KY right across the river for pretty cheap (this was 8 years ago but around $650/2bedroom then) and a lot of those landlords aren't too picky because there's tons of bars and strip clubs around there.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:01 AM

1 posts, read 3,056 times
Default regarding renting with no credit check

I am In a desperate state I have to find a place that does no credit check cause people sold my I'd and wrecked my credit my husband has a good job credit is a issue

Old 08-26-2015, 05:34 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,152,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louise phillips View Post
I am In a desperate state I have to find a place that does no credit check cause people sold my I'd and wrecked my credit my husband has a good job credit is a issue
The first thing you need to do is get copies of the police reports where you reported the identity theft, you need to contact the three primary credit reporters to see how you can get that made part of your credit report, you need explain what happened and offer to show copies of the police reports to any place you want to rent from, and if the person who stole your identity is known, sue them for damages.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:40 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
As screening goes down complex criminality goes up
Is the sheep fold safer without guard dogs?
Many think so

Old 08-26-2015, 07:41 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,752,567 times
There are some, but you have to look for private landlords and not large complexes, it also depends on what part of the country you are looking at.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:47 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,888,827 times
Everyone is doing credit and background check these days. But even if you have coming bankruptcy, it ain't the end of the world, you can work with some landlords by offering them to pay a little bit extra for the security deposit, or prepay a few months ahead.

Watch "Breaking Bad" (1st season I believe), how that kid got an apartment...

Old 11-21-2015, 07:09 AM

457 posts, read 645,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyred View Post
Try www.craigslist.org many people are renting for various reasons. Some don't require a credit check as long as you can pay the rent.
Not anymore. Even things on Craigslist are demanding background and credit checks. Now, I realise that this post is originally from 6 years ago so it may be that in the last 6 years things have gone to Hell in a handbasket, so to speak. Now it seems that if you've got ****ty credit you'll be living in your CAR that you paid cash for, and trying to look presentable to get to work every day - to, what, clean up your credit somehow THAT way?

And honestly, the "just clean up your credit" requires WINNING THE LOTTERY so you can PAY OFF everything.

I think the answer is to redefine how "safe" an area you have to live in. Redefine what you think is UN-safe. Or be willing to live out in the middle of nowhere where rents are cheaper so you shouldn't HAVE to pass a credit check. Or be OK with forking over an insanely ridiculous amount for "extended stay" hotels/motels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting