Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 04:57 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,778,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach.guy View Post
The landlords reaction, as witnessed by the friend, makes it clear that the 30 day notice was based on the tenants religion.
It does not matter he is not kicking her out just not renewing her lease it is a no win sorry.

As tilli said This isn't an eviction. This is a landlord choosing not to renew the month-to-month lease, and either party is able to do that (with proper notice) for any reason or no reason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 05:57 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,288,615 times
Yep, agree with everyone else. Month to month leases are just that. Either party can terminate for any reason w/ proper notice. They don't even need to tell them a reason.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:18 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Don't give it another thought, he'll never get a eviction, he'll never get in front of a judge without solid grounds to evict.

She should contact an attorney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfrench View Post
I told a friend about this forum and the answers I received regarding the rental issue my parents had. She asked me to post her current landlord problem.

My friend is Wiccan. She has an altar devoted to that religion set up in her apartment. Her landlord was in her apartment a couple of weeks ago for a maintenance issue. My friend was there also. The landlord saw the altar and started freaking, ranting about not having devil worshipers in his apartment.

My friend said she was not a devil worshiper, but that the altar was part of her religion. She didn't explain further and I don't blame her. Her religion is none of his business.

Friend has been on month to month for a year or so, after a year under a lease. All has been fine until now. She came home from Thanksgiving to find a 30 day notice on her door.

I understand that month to month means either party can terminate with proper notice, but this is clearly religious discrimination. Can she do anything about it?

Ironically, landlord is religious, a Baptist. Friend said he's often made so-called witnessing statements to her, yet now he wants to kick her out because she has a religious calling too?

Old 12-03-2009, 06:59 PM

475 posts, read 1,644,243 times
The altar most likely had a lot of candles, which as a LL, would freak me out a lot more than the religion.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:31 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfrench View Post
I had a nasty feeling proof was going to be the issue.

It's not that she isn't happy to be leaving a building owned by a religious bigot. It's the violation of losing your home due to your religion, and all the costs and lost time associated with moving.

I'll suggest she get the statutes. You've got me curious about Missouri. What kind of religious discrimination is allowed there?
If you own less than four rentals (four units, e.g. one apartment with four or fewer units, or four individual houses), you are exempt from all of the equal housing laws except for discrimination against race.

More than four and you have to abide by all the equal opportunity housing laws.

The other exception being that if the property is owned by an organization (church, club, etc.,) they are permitted by law to exclude anyone except their own membership.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-03-2009, 07:54 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
Quote:
maybe she should consider something like a TV armoire with doors where she can hide the altar from judgmental eyes.
That would be a fire hazard. But I agree with the sentiment. She shouldn't have to, but it might just be easier to go that route than deal with the judgement and fallout.

I agree this isn't really an eviction, so the landlord doesn't have to provide any reason. Even if she tried to fight it, and had proof in the form of witnesses or written evidence, all the landlord has to do is say that her religion isn't the reason for the eviction; he wants to renovate and market the apartment as a luxury unit. Or rent it to his mother in law. And he doesn't need any proof that he plans to do those things. The burden of proof would be on the tenant.

Discrimination is a lot easier to see than it is to prove in court.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:13 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,778,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Don't give it another thought, he'll never get a eviction, he'll never get in front of a judge without solid grounds to evict.
She should contact an attorney.
He is not getting an eviction just not renewing the lease a big difference

Old 12-04-2009, 12:45 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,947,681 times
When I said I would sue him for religious discrmation it was ment to imply IF HE USED Tenants beliefs .. ..
at this point it would be better to just move out and let the word get out by word of mouth that the LL does discrimnate .. some where sometime he will get a kick in the butt from Karmas lesson of return .. given by a "good Christian " who aint all they think .. and the LL deserves that ..

Old 12-04-2009, 02:50 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
He is not getting an eviction just not renewing the lease a big difference
Thanks, yeah, I'm way off the mark here

Hes doing nothing wrong with a 30 day notice, now if it were a lease it would change the scenario considerably, but thats not the case.

If I were in the situation, I wouldn't want to be there, I'd have given him his 30 day notice.

As far as lawsuit for discrimination, a good lawyer would blow wholes in the accusation in a minute, unless theres some strong evidence.

Old 12-04-2009, 03:19 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Fair Housing laws are federal, not state.

From the HUD website section on the Fair Housing Act:

In the Sale and Rental of Housing: No one may take any of the following actions based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status or handicap:

• Refuse to rent or sell housing
  • Refuse to negotiate for housing
  • Make housing unavailable
  • Deny a dwelling
  • Set different terms, conditions or privileges for sale or rental of a dwelling
  • Provide different housing services or facilities
  • Falsely deny that housing is available for inspection, sale, or rental
  • For profit, persuade owners to sell or rent (blockbusting) or
  • Deny anyone access to or membership in a facility or service (such as a multiple listing service) related to the sale or rental of housing.
Also,

What Housing Is Covered?
The Fair Housing Act covers most housing. In some circumstances, the Act exempts owner-occupied buildings with no more than four units, single-family housing sold or rented without the use of a broker, and housing operated by organizations and private clubs that limit occupancy to members.

It sounds to me like the landlord is in violation, but your friend needs to contact either an attorney or, if one is available in her area, a Tenant's Council for advice.

Last edited by TexasHorseLady; 12-04-2009 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: To get rid of visible coding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting