Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 08:13 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,109,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleenex View Post
because if not, the incentive for being ontime with the 'full' payment would decrease.

my math is right
my contract says 10% penalty of the whole amount.

if you have a 2k mortgage, and pay 1500 now and 500 is late, the bank still charges the late payment because the "full" payment is late/not received. i'm pretty sure that's how it works......anyone know better?

regardless, that's what i made sure my contract says
The late payment and accruing interest are two different things. I think a court would look at your contract as:

10% penalty of ($150) + 5 bucks a day so $50 bucks

The 10% is a late fee. The $5 per day is interest. But that "interest" is probably into what your state catagorizes as "usurious" so it would probably get tossed out.

I do hope you had an attorney review this "contract" that you wrote up, because it doesn't sound particularly enforceable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 08:29 AM

454 posts, read 1,408,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
The late payment and accruing interest are two different things. I think a court would look at your contract as:

10% penalty of ($150) + 5 bucks a day so $50 bucks

The 10% is a late fee. The $5 per day is interest. But that "interest" is probably into what your state catagorizes as "usurious" so it would probably get tossed out.

I do hope you had an attorney review this "contract" that you wrote up, because it doesn't sound particularly enforceable.

what are you talking about? did you even read what i wrote?

Old 12-27-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
what are you talking about? did you even read what i wrote?
This is what you wrote:

Quote:
so, today, i sent them an email stating thatt he balance is 500 (remainder) + 10% penalty of ($150) + 5 bucks a day so $50 bucks (per our written contract).
Tacking the $5 a day on top of the 10% penalty quite possibly falls into usary under your state laws. That's what I'm talking about. Generally speaking with a rent contract you can either get a daily late fee or a one time late fee, but not both. Again, did you have an attorney review your "contract"?

Old 12-27-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
This is what you wrote:

Tacking the $5 a day on top of the 10% penalty quite possibly falls into usary under your state laws. That's what I'm talking about. Generally speaking with a rent contract you can either get a daily late fee or a one time late fee, but not both. Again, did you have an attorney review your "contract"?
yes. my attorney wrote it for me.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
yes. my attorney wrote it for me.
That's all you needed to say.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:45 AM

335 posts, read 1,312,332 times
Since they have been upfront and honest I would give them the benefit of doubt just this one time.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:51 PM

UPDATE:

I didn't contact them over the weekend. i read the note that they sent me and it said "...we will send the rest along with the late fees 'no later than the 26th'" which sounded to me like they will 'send it no later than the 26th'....which was a saturday.
so, i figured i'd give them until today cause of the holiday and all and that sunday the usps is closed.

so, today, there is no mail! i don't know if the mailman just didn't come or whether there is just no mail. lol kinda silly. we always have 'something' in the mail.

So i'm thinking that i will give them a call today after work but will not be mean (just yet). i'll give them the benefit of the doubt that the check is in route....

thoughts are welcome.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:30 PM

8,410 posts, read 39,287,700 times
If the sent it on the 26th it takes about 5 days to get to you. You don't need to be mean. Just be cold and factual. "If you do not pay by (x) date eviction proceedings will begin that day." You could also mention the cost of what it would be plus the fact they will have to pay the court costs and have problems renting in the future.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
If the sent it on the 26th it takes about 5 days to get to you. You don't need to be mean. Just be cold and factual. "If you do not pay by (x) date eviction proceedings will begin that day." You could also mention the cost of what it would be plus the fact they will have to pay the court costs and have problems renting in the future.
i agree with you in your approach. i think it's the right way of doing it.
however, i don't think it would take about 5 days to get to me since we live about 3 minutes driving distance away.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:04 PM

4,399 posts, read 10,683,450 times
Quote:
i agree with you in your approach. i think it's the right way of doing it.
however, i don't think it would take about 5 days to get to me since we live about 3 minutes driving distance away.
Honestly I think you are getting walked on. Why would they send it the mail if you are so close? I would just tell them you are sorry but you gave them enough time and you are evicting them. If they pay the back rent and court costs maybe you'll think about letting them stay. But if it were me I would just evict. A couple of days from now theyll be behind even more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting