Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 03:23 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,642,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
For chronic unnecessary calls, I agree, someones has to absorb the cost.

The new water saving toilets are big problems and it doesn't take much for them to clog. I have a guest that visits and can plan on a clogged toilet every time, to the point that I had to purchase a snake to save my self the embarrassment of calling maintenance on their off hours. No fault of mine as the renter nor my guest.

The tenant with problems with heating and plumbing that they feel are not adequately repaired have the option of contacting Code Enforcement. An outside opinion, Code isn't going to damage there reputation with non-sense.
Simple solution, buy a Toto toilet and toss away your snake, you will never need it again. Low flush toilets are not the problem, junk big box store toilets are the problem. Buy quality and flush with confidence..! I don't sell them, but I use them and know how to make your life easier...!
Toto toilets and Toto Washlets at PerformanceToilets.com: Toto toilet, Toto washlet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 04:31 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,053,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
Simple solution, buy a Toto toilet and toss away your snake, you will never need it again. Low flush toilets are not the problem, junk big box store toilets are the problem. Buy quality and flush with confidence..! I don't sell them, but I use them and know how to make your life easier...!
Toto toilets and Toto Washlets at PerformanceToilets.com: Toto toilet, Toto washlet

I agree. I am a contractor and I tell my customers, if you buy junk, you get junk. It is better to spend the money on good fixtures because they will last and work right.

I also tell my customers that I charge the same to install junk or good fixtures. And in the end they will pay more for junk because of my service calls to fix them when they breakdown.

busta

Old 01-04-2010, 05:19 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
The complex installed new toilets in all units about 2weeks ago. So far I have no complaints.

Private LLs looking to make a purchase for rentals may appreciate the recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post

Old 01-04-2010, 05:38 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
Good to hear you got the contractor in there, so it comes down to poor placement of the thermostat effecting the temp difference throughout the unit.

I may have overlooked whether or not your paying for heat or the LL?

Of course that's the buildings expense. Now whether or not they choose to make the correction?

I'm interested to the outcome, so please do post an update. Good Luck.

http://www.oag.state.ny.us/bureaus/real_estate_finance/pdfs/tenants_rights_guide.pdf (broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coachgns View Post
Well, the HVAC Contractor who installed the system was just here. He was in the bldg at a different unit, and the cleaning person told him I was having a problem, so he stopped in. His brother had been here a few weeks & said to me that there was a problem, but then somehow the Owner got told that there was not a problem (or, more likely, the LL ignored the COntractor saying there was a problem). Took him less than a minute to realize that there was a big problem with the placement of the thermostat only 2' from the heating unit, and in a 4' X 4' alcove. He said that the thermostat needed to be moved. SHowed him the letter from the LL saying that his Co told them there was no problem, and he said that there must have been a miscommunication somewhere, as there IS definitely a problem. With the sun shining brightly thru the BR window, the BR was 11 degrees colder than the area where the thermostat is located.

There are about 10 units in this building who have similar layout, and similar problem.

It should be interesting when the LL tries to collect from me either for the cost of getting the heat working properly, OR the rent i plan to withhold if they do not do the repair that the A/C Contractor said will help alleviate the problem.

Have done extensive searching on NY law on this issue, and not much there - the outcome is very fact dependent on whether heat like this is adequate or not.
As for paying for repairs generally, nothing in the law states that he has to pay but nothing states that he doesn't have to pay. It clearly states though that he must provide all the utilities mentioned in lease in good working order, and that means (according to several cases), must be in good working order all during the tenancy at LL's expense, unless damaged by tenant.

Last edited by virgode; 01-04-2010 at 05:57 PM..

Old 01-05-2010, 06:32 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
I agree. I am a contractor and I tell my customers, if you buy junk, you get junk. It is better to spend the money on good fixtures because they will last and work right.

I also tell my customers that I charge the same to install junk or good fixtures. And in the end they will pay more for junk because of my service calls to fix them when they breakdown.

busta
Even buying quality name brand isn't a guarantee against problems with low-flush toilets...

Kohler had a pressure assist low flush that worked like a charm until it didn't and could not be field repaired...

Old 01-05-2010, 08:53 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,045,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Good to hear you got the contractor in there, so it comes down to poor placement of the thermostat effecting the temp difference throughout the unit.

I may have overlooked whether or not your paying for heat or the LL?

Of course that's the buildings expense. Now whether or not they choose to make the correction?

I'm interested to the outcome, so please do post an update. Good Luck.

http://www.oag.state.ny.us/bureaus/real_estate_finance/pdfs/tenants_rights_guide.pdf (broken link)

I don't think I ever mentioned that * I * pay all the utilities, not the LL.

It's really simple - the LL I believe knows he is responsible for repairs & assuring the proper functioning of the heat, etc. He's just saying that there is nothing wrong with the heat. I guess he thinks that if he keeps saying it enough, then his wish will come true! The Big Lie Theory.

This is also a LL who is very very Pennywise & Poundfoolish. A few months ago on a Friday night I noticed a few drops of water from an overhead pipe in the gym here. Told the Doorman so he could inform the LL. We have NO Superintendent for this 50 unit bldg. The tenants held a mtg with LL during the summer & told him we really needed an on-site Super. He said he had people on call that could handle every problem. So anyway, told the Doorman about the leak. He said "Oh, it's a weekend. I doubt anyone can do anything about it until Monday. But he did call the LL. By Monday morning when a plumber showed up there were several inches of water, ceiling had fallen down, and lots of expensive gym equipment ruined. But there's still no maintenance person here!

I find this inattention amazing! This is a "Luxury" building. It is BEAUTIFUL to look at. But built like a piece of $^%&! And the really amazing thing is that everyone who lives here, loves living here. The people who live here are terrific. The area is great. The bldg Looks wonderful.

Thanks for the link to the TEnant's Rights guide. I actually have done what the guide says - contact County housing officials. They said this place is not within their jurisdiction because it is not low-income housing. THeir authority only extends to low income housing. Only recourse is the Courts, and you all know how SLOW & unwieldy that process is.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:05 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
Quote:
This is also a LL who is very very Pennywise & Poundfoolish.
That may be your interpretation, but likely isn't the case. Delayed maintenance is still probably cheaper than paying for the wages of 24/365 onsite staff. LLs are in the business of making a profit and it is pretty safe to assume they are.

Quote:
It is BEAUTIFUL to look at. But built like a piece of $^%&! And the really amazing thing is that everyone who lives here, loves living here. The people who live here are terrific. The area is great. The bldg Looks wonderful.
The quality of construction is likely not the LLs fault. Even if the LL has owned the property since it was built, the ownership during construction was likely held by a separate developer, who then sold it to the LL upon completion of construction. So blame the developers who set out to make the biggest profit possible and then wash their hands of all the problems that arise later, because they are the ones that determine the standard of construction.

Quote:
Thanks for the link to the TEnant's Rights guide. I actually have done what the guide says - contact County housing officials. They said this place is not within their jurisdiction because it is not low-income housing. THeir authority only extends to low income housing. Only recourse is the Courts, and you all know how SLOW & unwieldy that process is.
Actually what that document says is that you should contact the Regional Attorneys General offices nearest to you, for violations of Multiple Dwelling Law §78 and §80 or Multiple Residence Law §174. Their phone numbers and addresses are listed on page 31. It sounds like you used the numbers on page 32 instead, and called the NY Division of Housing and Community Renewal Offices, which only handles low-income housing.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
That may be your interpretation, but likely isn't the case. Delayed maintenance is still probably cheaper than paying for the wages of 24/365 onsite staff. LLs are in the business of making a profit and it is pretty safe to assume they are.

The quality of construction is likely not the LLs fault. Even if the LL has owned the property since it was built, the ownership during construction was likely held by a separate developer, who then sold it to the LL upon completion of construction. So blame the developers who set out to make the biggest profit possible and then wash their hands of all the problems that arise later, because they are the ones that determine the standard of construction.

Actually what that document says is that you should contact the Regional Attorneys General offices nearest to you, for violations of Multiple Dwelling Law §78 and §80 or Multiple Residence Law §174. Their phone numbers and addresses are listed on page 31. It sounds like you used the numbers on page 32 instead, and called the NY Division of Housing and Community Renewal Offices, which only handles low-income housing.

NO

The residents only asked for a Maintenance person to be here 3 or 4 days a week.

The LL is the person who built this place. He is also the Developer. He has built several condo communities in the NY/NJ area. This is hos only rental unit (and he regrets it - he's told many people this should have been a condo from the start)

Old 01-06-2010, 03:17 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
Quote:
The residents only asked for a Maintenance person to be here 3 or 4 days a week.
What does that solve? Chances are they wouldn't have been there to see the leak let alone fix it. As you said, it was on the weekend, so likely they wouldn't have done anything any sooner than a the LL got someone out there anyway.

Nor would a part-time maintenance staff likely resolve your issues with the heat. They would still have to call in service people to look at the problem. And you would still have a difference of opinion about the existence of the problem and how to resolve it.

Call the AG's office already, as has been suggested over and over.

Quote:
The LL is the person who built this place. He is also the Developer. He has built several condo communities in the NY/NJ area. This is hos only rental unit (and he regrets it - he's told many people this should have been a condo from the start)
It is not a 'he'. It is a 'they'. The LL is a business. A corporation. And yes, it probably should have been condos. Like thousands of properties all over the country that have become rentals because the market shifted. Most likely, the operations of the property as rentals is a separate company. They may share the same name but they are different companies, with different objectives, different financials, different legal obligations, etc.

But ultimately, your LL isn't in the business of being a LL. Like any business arrangement, if you chose to do business with someone who is not experienced in that business, you may not be happy with the service or product. Either accept that or find someone else to do business with.

Last edited by kodaka; 01-06-2010 at 03:33 PM..

Old 01-08-2010, 10:35 AM

Called AG's office, directed me to Housing office for my County. Housing office said if it is not Public Housing they have no jurisdiction over it. They then directed me to AG's office, and then told me to get private attorney & file suit.
Filing fees alone here (No housing court in this County other than for LL evictions) are several hundred dollars. That doesn't count lawyer's fees. And it will take MONTHS have any action taken.
This is not a Tenant-friendly county. Almost everyone here owns homes, except for patches here & there of Public housing. Relatively few rental apartments.

I guess only option is to withhold rent, and then let the LL sue me for eviction & make my case there. Of course, that risks me being evicted & getting my credit rating messed up. Even a "slam-dunk" case in COurt can be subject to the whims of a judge.

It's really frustrating - all I really want is for my heat to work properly when it gets cold! 3 different people have looked at it & concluded it is not working properly, but LL refuses to concede there's a problem - that he can solve at a cost, I am told, of about $200.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting