Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 06:35 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I do rent to people with pets

As someone who just adopted a "foreclosure" dog, I commend you.

The List still bothers me.

So you really wouldn't rent to:

Martha Stewart (criminal record)
Francis Ford Coppola (bankruptcy)
Barack Obama (smoker)

????

Seriously?

This is why I think one needs to use good personal judgement vs. issuing absolutes and edicts. A little common sense goes a long way. So does listening to that "inner voice".

(I have to be honest though: small children, smokers and people who eat a lot of fried foods are "deal breakers" for me. Luckily I don't currently own any rentals )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 06:01 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Obama, no way unless no one else applies for my rental...the drugs are bothering me and the outstanding tickets also that he only paid after running for the presidency...so I guess he w't pay me either...

Bankruptcy...is to me a "NO" unless I coudn't get any one else to rent for me...and indeed Martha has a criminal record and I do not discriminate who the criminal is....

So far I never had any of them applying so, that is an easy answer.

I always had plenty of applicants andnot the best credit isn't bothering me.

The person who is now in foreclosure was very upfront with me and before he told me his story, I had checked him out and knew exactly how his mortgage papers looked like and it was exactly how he explained. On top of that he has a respected business, so he isn't just a nice talker without anything to back it up. He tried to refi but the bank won't do it due to the value of his house being way too low now.
On top of that he isn't blaming the whole world for his bad decision but blaming him self at first for not having read the mortgage agreement better and to understand it better before he signed, which to me is showing responsibility, because most people I met or have read their stories, are blaming the whole world but them self....

Old 09-22-2011, 04:13 PM

2 posts, read 4,474 times
I agree. But... would you rent to a convicted child molestor or rapist if you have kids or a wife in the next apartment?
True, their debt has be paid..., but would ya?

Old 09-22-2011, 04:20 PM

2 posts, read 4,474 times
You are way too serious. This is a humorous list of helpful tips for landlords for tenant screening. You seem too offended by it and took the time to micro anylize each item and argue with it.

So which is it? Are you an offended tenant ? Or a landlord who just disagrees with these things?

Old 09-22-2011, 04:41 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
I just came from an eviction whwre a cute little dog was left abandoned without food or water...Very sad. We inherited this property that was alreayd in foreclosure and a lawyer was busy with it for months.

The tenant are pro con artist and the previous property management should not be in business. They conducted a background check but without discussion the background check they had them sign the lease. Only after the eviction was started the owner found out what the huge record of felonies the man had and of none payments. This would have been a triple denial for any person with common sense and for a professional company to let them move in is unbelievable.

The tenants filed also a slip and fall lawsuit against the owner after the evicdtion was started. There were 2 PODS in the front yard and when we called the phone number on it they were happy to learn where the PODS were since the credit card was declined and they would pick them up asap and keep all the property since according to them their contracts are different and have an easier process of keeping the stuff. Not our issue, the sheriff even recommended to call them.

Sad to see what the property looked but at least they are out, not the other property and than the owner is free of tenants put in by that bad property management company...sadly a Realtor! The owner is sueing her and also filing a complain against her...and perhaps one license less!

Old 12-17-2011, 01:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,018 times
I follow these simple rules and am not sorry.
I understand your point of view and that of a few others on this board.
I noticed on your profile you are unemployed. when you become employed, you may someday become a landlord and have to carefully choose tenants, so you may feel diferently then when you are on the other side of the fence. A few bad experiences with tenants may change your view.

Old 12-17-2011, 01:54 PM

2 posts, read 4,018 times
Smile 12 tenant dealbreakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
I disagree with not renting because of criminal history. I believe that it is discrimination.

If a person has paid his debt to society, unless the law says he can't be in a certain area (ex. child predators) their criminal record should have no bearing.

People wonder why the recidivism rates are so high, it's partially because people have such a hard time starting over because no one will give them a chance.
You're absolutely right....
You rent to the people with criminal records. I'll stick with the ones with good rent references.

Old 12-17-2011, 04:47 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,642,628 times
I've found that number 5 is just unfair and unreasonable if that is the absolute deal breaker. There are many people out here with bad credit who have a long, excellent history of always paying rent on time and in the full amount never missing a single payment. There are also people who are living on Section 8 vouchers who had bad credit, but their rent is always paid because the government is sending guaranteed money to the landlord.

Discrimination on this basis is unfounded and each tenant should be allowed to prove their ability to pay their rent based on demonstrated history of rental payment, FIRST; rather than denying them outright without giving them an opportunity to show excellent references. When a landlord does this, all they do is lose out on on-time, guaranteed money.

Old 12-17-2011, 05:46 PM

2,091 posts, read 7,517,433 times
Sigh. To me that list is to make you THINK. I can see a little of that happening here. Sometimes landlords, new ones especially, tend to "go with the gut" and sometimes that gut is wrong. When you have a list like that you can go down it and look at the potential tenants application and decide which, if any, of those deal breakers are deal breakers for you, or are there mitigating circumstances. There are very few things that are black and white these days. If you have the luxury of qualified potential tenants breaking down your door with applications, then you can be as strict as you want. If the rental market is tough and you are already being considered strict for wanting first, last, security, references, and a bunch of other things that aren't the norm for your area, and no one has even filled out an application in the past month, then you may consider being less strict.

Point being, its a good list to make you think about what a deal breaker is to YOU.

Old 12-18-2011, 09:32 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Nope, haven't rented to any one with a record so far since I had plenty of people who had better records...I didn't even had to look that far.

I don't care too much about the bad credit depends on how bad and the reason why.

Since my properties are in the best locations I have the luxury to choose the person with the best credentials based on income, etc....

I don't rent to people who start asking if they can pay the security deposit in several payments.

I do rent to people with pets

And I never I had my places empty for longer than a week just to clean and fix things...
We appreciate the list you posted. The one with "no money" was the kicker for us, lol. So you want to live in a luxury neighborhood and cant afford the rent? Great way to start a new life, on someone elses shoulders. Sigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting