Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2010, 06:52 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,292,219 times

Advertisements

Do you use a purchased form, a lawyer, or write your own?
How do you know you are meeting all state legal requirements?
Have you used legalzoom or rocketlaw for your forms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 11:14 PM

73 posts, read 284,874 times
I bought a lease from Office Max and found that it was too generic and didn't apply to my state that well. So I wrote my own lease. I used the landlord tenant law for my state to get the statutes and saw what I could and could not do and then wrote my own. I also got a copy of a lease from my realtor and from a friend to get ideas.

It has worked well for me for about 3 years. I even had to take one tenant to court and it held up there.

But it is always a work in progress! The tenant I recently had to take to court to have evicted had taken to driving her truck on my lawn and parking it by her back deck (I have no idea why someone would do this, but that's another story). SO now there's a part in my lease that says vehicles are only allowed in the garage and drive way and if they are anywhere else on the property they will be towed. hehe Another example is when I had a tenant take out the engine of his car in the driveway and had tools and tarps all over the placefor days, so now my lease says that car repair can't be done in the drive way. Live and Learn!

Old 02-11-2010, 08:15 AM

102 posts, read 331,028 times
I purchased the Residential Lease for my tenant from Staples. Only costs about $10. The packet is pretty comprehensive and is valid for all states, so it says.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:18 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
They are free from my local Apartment Owner's Association...

My Rental Agreement started out as one page with a second condition and inventory sheet back in 1982/83.

Today, it is nearly 30 pages with all the government required disclosures about everything from Lead Paint, Meagan's Law, City Ordinances and Rent Control.

The Department of Real Estate also has a good form except isn't specific enough for areas with rent control.

The only time a Lease comes into play is when there is a problem... and that is not the time to learn your Rental Agreement is deficient.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:05 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
I used one from my State and made a addendum that is about 10 pages and after every tenant it get's longer.......that is the only way to protect my self and my property and be fair to the tenant.

I have very high late fees for which the tenant is signing to acknowledge he is aware of it...with the last tenant it was profiting for me since he paid the late fees and never complaint about it, which makes it less annoying for me when a tenant is paying late....

I never had any tenant refusing to sign a lease due to high late fees, btw I just started to give a little discount for paying early... and it works...

Old 02-11-2010, 01:32 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,886,388 times
I bought a state and county specific lease on-line several years ago. I also learned from errors of omission and added things about cars, repairs, unlicensed cars, guests, etc. it is now 11 pages long and so far I and tenants are happy with it.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:43 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,475,674 times
We created ours from other leases we had seen, and then modified it to fit with local law. We have been to court with it multiple times, and other than one thing that a judge told us we should ADD, we've never had a comment about any legalities in it. It meets everything stated in our Tenant/Landlord Guidelines from our state Attorney General, and the few laws that are actually on the books regarding rental properties in my state.

As others have said, it is constantly evolving. As I tell my tenants when they sign, "Everything in here is in here because someone tried it". Every time someone does something idiotic, another clause gets added to the lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting