Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 12:12 PM

551 posts, read 1,925,164 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who has rented a house from a guy for two years in October. He has recently sent her a letter stating she will need to start paying for fixes to appliances when they go out. He wants her to sign the letter. This was after both her dryer and garbage disposal went out same month. She has never asked for anything else to be fixed in the two years.

Any advice I could pass on would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 12:21 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
No way in hell I would sign that. I assume the lease does not state your friend has to pay (if it did the LL wouldn't need to send a letter).

Old 08-18-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
No way in hell I would sign that. I assume the lease does not state your friend has to pay (if it did the LL wouldn't need to send a letter).
I am pretty sure the lease doesn't state that. She is just a young single female that, in my opinion, he's trying to pull a fast one on her.

OH!! To make it worse...she does not have any blinds on her bedroom window. I think some has finally been bought, but he is dragging his feet with having them put on the window. She has tried, but can't figure out how. I guess I just need to go over there and do it for her...

Old 08-18-2010, 12:31 PM

I just asked who paid for her blinds, and she said she paid for them. This is sad...

Old 08-18-2010, 01:13 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,568,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourOhFive View Post
I have a friend who has rented a house from a guy for two years in October. He has recently sent her a letter stating she will need to start paying for fixes to appliances when they go out. He wants her to sign the letter. This was after both her dryer and garbage disposal went out same month. She has never asked for anything else to be fixed in the two years.

Any advice I could pass on would be appreciated!
Greed I quess you know my answer.

Legally no she doesn't have to agree or sign the changes.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:32 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,486,679 times
A lease is a bilateral agreement. That means that in order to make changes to it, both parties must agree. So the LL can ask, but the tenant doesn't have to agree. HOWEVER, you said the friend has lived there for 2 years. ARE they in a lease, or are they month to month? If they are month to month, the LL can change terms, and the tenant has the right to give notice to move if they don't agree.

For example, we just took over several rentals from another Property Management company in town. Therefore we want to get all the existing tenants into agreements with us. However, we can't change the terms of the existing leases unless the tenants allow us to. So we've sent them all copies of our lease to read through so we can work out what they agree to and don't agree to. But when their lease expires, if they want to renew, it will be on our standard lease.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:04 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
^^^ Good advice as always.

I suspect the lease is now month to month... just a guess.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:41 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,892,818 times
I suspect that after 2 years, the lease is month to month. The terms can be changed with a 30 day notice of the change. The tenant can accept the change, or move.
I have changed my leases to include that the tenats pays for repairs for the washer and dryer. It makes for taking better care of the machines. I was repairing them every 6 months for matters that could have been prevented if used properly. There have been no repairs needed since the change went into effect. Sometimes a LL will make changes to help make things better for all concerned.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:25 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,568,138 times
Theres no way I would agree to repair their appliances unless it was caused by my negligence...personally, I'd be giving them a termination notice.

A question...was this a two yr lease ending October 31st?

Last edited by virgode; 08-18-2010 at 04:38 PM..

Old 08-18-2010, 04:37 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Theres no way I would agree to repair their appliances unless it was caused by my negligence...personally, I'd be giving them a termination notice.
Years ago... the rental industry in my area moved away from supplying any free standing appliances...

At one time, more than 50% of my service calls were appliance related and most were tenant caused...

There always be someone that would say the reason a two year old appliance didn't last is because the Landlord went cheap... amazing how the same appliance can last 10 years without a problem in one apartment and be trash in less than 2 in another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting