Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 05:58 PM

924 posts, read 2,231,090 times

Advertisements

Today the second out of three landlords I applied to told me the background check was successful and they are ready to offer me the apartment they're renting. Great. But I'm not that happy.
I plan to reject the first place because it's too small (no closed bedroom) , however the second place has some important pros like walking distance to affordable stores, public transit, a nature park and parking behind the building for both a car and my motorcycle. It also has a shed where I may be able to park the bike in. However it's also about $50/month more than I wanted to spend and included in the rent is a $20 parking spot fee which to me is nickel and diming the tenant. A ground floor apartment (triplex in this case) should include the parking. What also bothers me is that the landlord refuses to equip the apartment with appliances. The landlords are Russian, if that makes a difference (maybe Russians tend to be stingier).

I wrote: I was thinking about the things needed to take possession of the apartment and specifically about the fridge and stove. I know there are some second hand appliance stores on ... and was planning to visit them soon, unless you had another solution in mind. I suppose they offer some kind of limited warranty on refurbished models? Needless to say, since the apartment on ... doesn't have those appliances now and I still need them, if you could help me with their purchase (don't worry about a washer and dryer, I'll likely use a local laundromat at first) , I'd really appreciate it. Having them would also add value to your property.
-----

The wife (landlord)'s reply?

We are sorry but fridge and stowe are not included in our offer. We have spent $6,000 on renovations of this apt and cannot spend any more money on it. We use to had kitchen appliances in some apartments, but because everyone had his own appliences, we got rid of ours. It was a big headache to get rid of them. Historically and customarily in this area of the city everybody has his own appliances.

I can only add, that the second hand appliances are pretty good and they last for a long time. If you would like to purchase a new ones, the best store for this purpose would be "". This store offers 36 month interest free credit. It will cost you somrthing around $40 a month to pay for the fridge and stove. You have to decide, OP. The landlord wants a decision by tomorrow. I'm still awaiting the results of a third application for a bigger place (no appliances) for $25/month less, although it's further from public transit and has no parking. what would you do? I have to make a decision quickly and move by the end of August for Sept 1 occupancy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 07:29 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,561,936 times
You can't way the pros and cons of the two and make a decision?

Old 08-17-2010, 09:38 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Who the heck doesn't include appliances with a rental. I would probably avoid that one just because who knows what else they are going to nickel and dime you on.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:56 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Is this the first or the second or the third thread you've started related to decision-making where apartments are concerned? I do understand CD rules about not raising poster's issues on other forums but you did the same hash routine on the Work and Employment forum.

Nobody can make this sort of a decision for you. Your state's landlord/tenant laws prevail and you can easily Google "(your state) landlord tenant laws" to get the information you need. You can weigh the pros and cons yourself. Good luck!

Old 08-17-2010, 09:57 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Is this the first or the second or the third thread you've started related to decision-making where apartments are concerned? I do understand CD rules about not raising poster's issues on other forums but you did the same hash routine on the Work and Employment forum.

Nobody can make this sort of a decision for you. Your state's landlord/tenant laws prevail and you can easily Google "(your state) landlord tenant laws" to get the information you need. You can weigh the pros and cons yourself. Good luck!

Old 08-17-2010, 09:59 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,889,611 times
If niethr one has appliances, your going to have to buy them. go with the place that makes you feel more comfortable. Probably the Russian.
I remeber hearing that in some areas of the country, you have to buy your own appliances. It's customery. If your going to stay in that area, you could buy new appliances and plan to keep them and move them as needed. Or if your plans are more short term, buy used.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:03 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,363,255 times
I've never rented a place that didn't come with a fridge and a stove.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:11 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,149,725 times
Here is what would scare me about the one place. I just did a quick search and you can buy a brand new refrigerator and stove for about $500. Not the biggest or the fanciest, but brand new from a reputable store. I can only imagine then that they could get something second hand for half that. If they are claiming they can't afford that becuase they just did renovations what is going to happen if something breaks down and needs to be repaired?

Old 08-17-2010, 10:13 PM

573 posts, read 1,690,186 times
Very simple decision. If you want appliances, go with an apartment that offers appliances. No use trying to negotiate. If you think the landlord is nickel and diming you over a $20 parking spot, think again....maybe they have many other properties where the parking is limited and they have to pay extra. Just go with an apartment that suits your needs instead of trying to fit a square peg into a cylinder spot. Best of luck.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:40 PM

924 posts, read 2,231,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
If they are claiming they can't afford that becuase they just did renovations what is going to happen if something breaks down and needs to be repaired?
That's exactly what I was thinking. The landlord's reply makes me wonder. I don't care if historically or customarily tenants have their own appliances in the area - I don't and I was asking for some help, i.e. we could split the cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting