Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 09:06 PM

715 posts, read 1,671,839 times

Advertisements

I've recently purchased my first rental property and the work is almost done...now for the fun part of renting it.

What info should I request on the app?

Employment info (including phone # of supervisor)
Last 3 pay stubs
Criminal history
Reference of prior landlord

What else???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 06:29 AM

2,249 posts, read 8,907,779 times
Ours are pretty extensive and we run a credit/background check through a service.
We get the names and ages of anyone that will live in the house.
copy of drivers license. ss# date of birth. phone # cell phone # emergency contact info. pets-size, type. health concerns of any tenants, vehicle information.

Old 07-02-2007, 07:05 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,560,313 times
Splinter -

Our negotiations fell through on our one and only offer on our house in 8 months. We are now considering trying to lease it. We have been looking at a website Tenant Screening by LandlordPortal.com™ but have not done enough research to endorse it. The site does seem to have forms, info on background checks, etc.

Best of luck to you.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:03 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,028,066 times
I've never heard of asking for health concerns where I live. I think that would be considered discrimination ....... In Southern California, I belong to an Apartment Association where I have up-to-date rental agreements and applications. I make sure they are completely filled out ............. SSN, drivers license #'s, past landlord history and an emergency contact (an emergency contact is NOT a boyfriend, etc. I would prefer a parent or close relative) I also request 2 recent paycheck stubs along with a copy of their drivers license. If you want to run a background criminal check, you have to do it on EVERY applicant (again, where I live). Otherwise, that would be considered discrimination. Treat all applicants alike, and you'll be fine.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:10 AM

2,071 posts, read 12,028,066 times
Another thing when verifying employment, ALWAYS ask to speak to HR or payroll. Don't ask for the person your applicant says is their Supervisor. The "Supervisor" can be anyone. Trust me, I learned the hard way once

Old 07-02-2007, 08:43 AM

428 posts, read 2,442,619 times
Someone tried to scam me once too. They listed John Doe as their former landlord and the name didn't match up with the owner of the building on county records.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:19 AM

376 posts, read 1,507,836 times
Credit check with fico scores will give you a good indication of the strength of the tenant and how responsible the are. Along with the standard employment, referances, paystubs or w2's plus #of people living in the home, acceptable # of cars.
Blessings!

Old 07-02-2007, 04:57 PM

715 posts, read 1,671,839 times
thanks everyone...great info. much appreciated.

Old 07-02-2007, 06:37 PM

169 posts, read 1,070,774 times
Post Don't forget to pull PRIOR evictions

You have a good lease you like correct?

Most state Associations of Realtors have promulgated leases with most of the needed standard clauses. Fl Assoc. Realtors does but it lacks a few salient clauses you will want to add. I recommend that you get to know an attorney now - you've bought a valuable piece of property protect it before you have a problem. Watch too for certain types of dogs (certain vicious breeds of dogs are typically denied now by many owners). Also you want to limit the number of people that can live in the home by the ratio of sq.ft. to people (careful on this one too it can get into fair housing issues for discrimination - set your limit and stick to it no matter who wants to lease or what they want to pay.) Make sure you also decide how long a "guest" of the tenant can stay (like 3 days etc...) with out paying rent. These seem like picune details but you might find, like one of my inexperienced owners did that the tenant and her sister and their kids and their grandmother all "stayed" at the house even though only 2 people were on the lease. It's also very hard to legally evict people you don't have a lease with. The more hostile things become between you and a tenant the more "at risk" your property becomes for damage.

The pros at getting free rent don't go to organized national companies or career landlords that have a lot of properties to pull their scams... they fish out the guy with the first rental property who may be unprepared for them. Just start with a solid lease.

There should be a service in your immediate area (did you say where you were?) that can do a prior eviction search that goes back a couple of years.

Chances are the people that come to you are fine. You're probably ok with a credit check and a criminal background check but it's hard to find them on a national search basis. There are lots of companies out there to use - the big national apartment companies use a company called RealPage RealPage and they can help you report back to the credit bureaus when your tenant moves out so if you have to evict them you can actually post that on their credit report. I don't know if it will be cost effective to use them for one search but there are local companies where you are that can help you if RealPage is too pricey for a single search.

Definately search for prior eviction history at least at the last city/county and surrounding counties where they claim to have previously lived and the city/county and surrounding counties of their closest relatives.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:41 PM

633 posts, read 2,544,419 times
Make sure you also decide how long a "guest" of the tenant can stay (like 3 days etc...) with out paying rent. These seem like picune details but you might find, like one of my inexperienced owners did that the tenant and her sister and their kids and their grandmother all "stayed" at the house even though only 2 people were on the lease.

I understand wanting to make sure that no one stays on indefinitely. However, what do you do if you invite your parents out from another state to stay at your place on vacation and your landlord says only 3 days as noted above? That doesn't seem quite fair either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting