Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 03:45 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,263,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
Needing a second opinion on this. I've always liked the Trans Am's last generation, particularly the WS6 model. I've been in the market for a V8 coupe and I just can't stomach plopping down 35K for a new Camaro SS or Mustang 5.0. So I'm thinking about going the used route and scooping up a WS6. I've just been browsing Craiglist and eBay and it seems one in good shape and low miles can be had for 17K more or less in about a 200 mile radius from me (TX/OK/KS). My biggest worry is buying a car that would be about a decade old. I would obviously expect some maintenance over and above a newer car. I have heard mixed reiviews on Trans Ams in general, from good "agers" with decent care to unreliable money pit. And then there's the whole issue of buying a car from a defunct automaker. What has been people's experience or first or second hand knowledge with these?
the cons: personal opinion is this: first off, the styling was very "bad-ass" in it's time, but today, looks pretty dated, and over the top. (dated at a young age, really.) i liked the styling when they were new, but now...i mean, FOUR frikin' hood scoops, big wing, fake vents, it's practically damn near rice! and everything is just soooo round. style-wise, i would opt for an LS1 Camaro with an SS hood (without the SS hood, those just look like Chrysler Concords).

then there's that chinsey, Rubbermaid interior. but to be perfectly fair, most cars even today have chinsey interiors. and to be honest, during the Mustang/Camaro wars from the 80's thru the 90's, the car mags always gave the Mustang the nod for having a nicer interior and better ergonomics. as a person who has sat in both or all of the above, i have always found the opposite to be true. though i'm at a point in my life where i would almost advise going with one of the newer pony cars (particularly the 2011 Mustang 5.0), i completely understand about not wanting to drop 35K or go the 5yr car note route. but if your willing to go 17K then what's another 17. as far as interior goes, the 2010/2011 Mustang is the only one that would satisfy my need to feel all grown up and sophisticated.

GTO's: not too suprisingly, a few people here are trying to sway you towards a GTO. my honest opinion is that if youre looking for a Trans Am, your probably not in the market for a GTO. this is due more to it's styling than it's performance, but in that world of Camaros, Firebirds, Corvettes, and Mustangs, the GTO just isnt really in there. there's just not enough that's youthful about the car. it's sort of like an "old man's pony car." and i honestly think that their lack of aggressive styling will be a hinderance when it comes to there ability to be seen as a classic. sorry guys. no hard feelings. just my opinion.

eBay/Craigslist: be very careful. i've been burned. dont buy anything sight unseen. if you cant physically inspect it and drive it, it doesnt exist - or the motor is blown.

the pros: That LS1 engine is fantastic. even today, you are always just a few mods away from being to put a Naturally Aspirated spanking on anything on the road - including 2011 5.0 liter Mustangs.

those squeaks and rattles that everyone ******* about aren't as bad as everyone makes out. it has more to do with a stiff, performance oriented suspension than shoddy build quality. besides, your gonna put on subframe connectors anyway, aint ya?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 03:54 AM

1,949 posts, read 5,263,237 times
also, PM me if youre interested. i have an LT1 Camaro that i'm selling. it already has everything. 300 Horsepower to the wheels. i mean, if your looking for a cruiser, this one is already done, and i'll sell it for a lot less than 17K.

it's a 1996 Z28 with less than 70K on the odometer. i'm the second owner. i've owned it since 1999 when it had almost 40K on the odometer. it has been pampered like it's a damn Ferrarri since i've owned it. it has only seen Mobile 1 5W30 since i've owned it. i can post pics, whatever...most of the guys on here have seen pics of it.

i currently own this Camaro, a 1989 Formula 350, a 1989 Mustang LX, a 1968 Mustang, and a 1967 Firebird. plus daily driven trucks and SUVs. that's too many cars. the two 89's are kind of a set, so are the old Mustang and Firebird. this 96 is kind of the odd man out.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:55 AM

1,742 posts, read 6,140,593 times
17k for a Trans Am? That thing better be near showroom or restomod. Really at that price you could find a real nice custom or something that has had interior upgrades, and even a vert.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:07 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
17k for a Trans Am? That thing better be near showroom or restomod. Really at that price you could find a real nice custom or something that has had interior upgrades, and even a vert.
The older F-bodies, particular the WS6 Trans Am have really rebounded in terms of value. Overall it is hard to find WS6's without a ton of miles for less than $16k or $17k, heck there are some here in NJ with low miles (under 10k) in stock trim that are selling for $25k+. They have sort of crossed the barrier from cheap throwaway to collectible since there will most likely never be another Trans Am. The Camaro's are still priced more reasonably, but even they have come up in price.

That is why I think the GTO is a better option. It is a "better" car, but they also don't carry the crazy premium that people are asking for 9+ year old F-bodies. Unless you are really into the F-bodies and want one for that reason, they are really hard to recommend.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:14 AM

Well the Trans Ams have a lot better styling than the Camaros as well, but the fact that they are no longer made minus customs does something to value somewhat I'm sure.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:17 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
GTO's: not too suprisingly, a few people here are trying to sway you towards a GTO. my honest opinion is that if youre looking for a Trans Am, your probably not in the market for a GTO. this is due more to it's styling than it's performance, but in that world of Camaros, Firebirds, Corvettes, and Mustangs, the GTO just isnt really in there. there's just not enough that's youthful about the car. it's sort of like an "old man's pony car." and i honestly think that their lack of aggressive styling will be a hinderance when it comes to there ability to be seen as a classic. sorry guys. no hard feelings. just my opinion.
I agree with your take 100%. When I had my GTO, I had a lot of friends with T/A's and Camaro's, etc. While everyone liked the GTO, not many f-body folks could really see themselves owning one. The GTO demographic is definitely older than the f-body demographic and more similar to the Corvette guys.

Also, you are right on about it never being a classic. The f-bodies (as evidenced in their current values) are already becoming collectible, whereas I doubt the GTO will ever get there. At best it would be a second tier classic, like a Regal vs. a Chevelle.

However, none of that changes my opinion that the GTO is still the better overall car.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:38 PM

GTOs are and always will be cool cars, but in time even the new Camaros will probably be more desirable. The 68-72 Chevelles will definitely trump other year Chevelles and Regals, but most people would much rather have a GNX over a 73+ Chevelle and maybe even a 64-67. I think a comparison to that would be a Judge tribute in comparison to a plain jane Camaro.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:28 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,782,378 times
The LS1 was a phenomenal engine. All aluminum 6 bolt mains and responds well to mods.

As pointed out, all Trans AM's (and Camaros) built since 1982 (with the exception of the 1989 Turbo Trans AM) came with the notoriously weak 7.5 rear end. It's about as strong as glass.

One thing that I noticed no one pointed out...the stock Trans AM clutches were crap.

Also Trans AM's (and Camaros) were unibody cars, and most of the 4th gen models had T tops making them even more flimsy.

The Trans AM however is lighter than the newer GTO.

Biggest issue I think will be verifying the car you're looking at wasn't driven by some kid who probably raced everything from Mustang's to grandma's in wheel chairs.

Old 01-12-2011, 03:09 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,071,179 times
Mediocre cars that GM shoved a great engine and transmission into.

Old 01-12-2011, 06:52 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,500,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post

those squeaks and rattles that everyone ******* about aren't as bad as everyone makes out. it has more to do with a stiff, performance oriented suspension than shoddy build quality. besides, your gonna put on subframe connectors anyway, aint ya?
No, that stuff is pretty crummy, actually. The squeaks are no sweat, but that has nothing to do with ride quality what "everyone ******* about".

Every so often, I go hunting for a later 4th Gen and they all seem to have those awful P/W switches just hanging off the door handles by the wires and Lord knows how many other things that make you wonder how GM got off selling that kind of crap on the general pubic. Never mind that those P/W motors are junk, those 93-97 dashpads were legendarily flimsy, the headlamps dull like crazy...those Pontiac headlight motors were mentioned.

That is just a poorly (for lack of a better phrasing) put together platform aside from the performance aspect. I found a comparable year Mustang to be way better put together, but nothing to brag about.

Anyway, I'd tolerate a convertible or T-top for a sunny day ride, even a v6 Y87 model with the factory duals and LSD, but I doubt a passenger would like me if (s)he had to be subjected to that lousy cat converter hump right in front of the passengers seat. I was on teh receiving end of that crap in my friend's X-cab Sonoma on a roadie to College Station..not good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands