Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 09:52 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,777,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Ok, quick history, bought the car in March 2012, had 45k miles on it. Original little ole lady car, church and such. Six cylinder, loaded. I've been driving it daily, it now has 51k on it. In July, when it was 100 degree weather it was low on gas, bout two gallons left, I was in traffic, and it stalled out on me. I thought vapor lock, or something. After 30 minutes of waiting for a tow, I tried it, it backfired couple times, and started running perfect. Once since then, I had a one time stall, restarted and no prob. I thought the first one was too low on gas, heat, and air in the line. Flash forward to today, 82 degrees, 3/4 tank of gas, Im driving, just finished a 60 mile round trip, almost home, stuck at redlight, and it starts sputtering again. Like its running out of gas. I got it off the road, and after a few minutes, it runs, but won't stay running enough to get it home. Im thinking, maybe fuel pump. Any other ideas before I have it towed to mechanic?
Sounds like about the same problem I had with my 1994 Sable back in the day. They never did figure it out. I had the fuel pump replaced- didn't fix the problem. Eventually they had to replace the ignition switch, which was no small ordeal given the type of ignition switch those things have. Didn't fix the problem. Nobody could ever determine the problem... and I suppose it didn't help that it was a model made before OBD II, meaning that the "check engine" light didn't do much for the mechanic.

Ultimately I learned this. Don't use the A/C and don't stomp on the gas pedal. Be nice to it and it should run. Oh yeah, and figure that you'll be lucky to get beans for it when you sell it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 01:01 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
another possibility to consider is the coil pack.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:02 PM

4 posts, read 4,440 times
I have the same problem with my 1995 3.8 Sable Wagon. Had the v. lock problem in 100 degree heat (145K on motor) and replaced the tank pump.

I had the transmission rebuilt at 150K (the car now has 161k) and in the heat it is now doing the v lock it used to do before the tank pump was replaced, but it's not really that severe. My fuel economy has also dropped by 4 mpg in the hot weather. I replaced the plugs and plug wires at 130K. The (CA) emissions were also replaced. New water pump, radiator, and starter have been done in the last 10K.

I did also do the the intake manifolds gaskets and valve cover gaskets which resulted in a moderate leak from the main seal. Is that a contributing factor?

The main difference is I was in California before (dry heat) and now I'm in Illinois (high humidity). Does that make a difference?

This is a California car with CA emissions and has been righteously maintained. I noted the comment from a previous poster about not jumping on the accelerator, which I did after getting new tires and I'm wondering if I fubarred the motor by doing that.

I love station wagons and this Merc has been great, so I'd like to figure out this latest issue.

Thanks in advance. I do love my Frankencar.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:06 PM

2,341 posts, read 12,046,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet 746 View Post
I have the same problem with my 1995 3.8 Sable Wagon. Had the v. lock problem in 100 degree heat (145K on motor) and replaced the tank pump.

I had the transmission rebuilt at 150K (the car now has 161k) and in the heat it is now doing the v lock it used to do before the tank pump was replaced, but it's not really that severe. My fuel economy has also dropped by 4 mpg in the hot weather. I replaced the plugs and plug wires at 130K. The (CA) emissions were also replaced. New water pump, radiator, and starter have been done in the last 10K.

I did also do the the intake manifolds gaskets and valve cover gaskets which resulted in a moderate leak from the main seal. Is that a contributing factor?

The main difference is I was in California before (dry heat) and now I'm in Illinois (high humidity). Does that make a difference?

This is a California car with CA emissions and has been righteously maintained. I noted the comment from a previous poster about not jumping on the accelerator, which I did after getting new tires and I'm wondering if I fubarred the motor by doing that.

I love station wagons and this Merc has been great, so I'd like to figure out this latest issue.

Thanks in advance. I do love my Frankencar.
Are you running Ethanol in it - as in, 89 octane E10?

There are a few cars that are prone to vapor lock, in high heat, running that gas. Not very many cars, but a few, and usually only when it's very hot outside.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Are you running Ethanol in it - as in, 89 octane E10?

There are a few cars that are prone to vapor lock, in high heat, running that gas. Not very many cars, but a few, and usually only when it's very hot outside.
Thank you for your response.

Yes, all the fuel here is 10% ethanol (or as they say it "may contain").

How do you get around that?

Old 07-14-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Thank you for your response.

Yes, all the fuel here is 10% ethanol (or as they say it "may contain").

How do you get around that?
Depends on where you live, and what's available.

As a rule, 87 Octane gas will not contain alcohol, nor will the 91 Octane.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageLogic View Post
Depends on where you live, and what's available.

As a rule, 87 Octane gas will not contain alcohol, nor will the 91 Octane.
I live in the Bloomington, Il area.

The pumps say "87, 89, 91" which I assume is octane, but have the "may contain up to 10% ethanol" disclaimer for all grades, that's why I'm a little confused. This is across the board for all stations here.

I'm not a chemist, so I don't really know. If I up the octane, and they still include ethanol, does that do me any good? And, does it solve my hesitation problem?

Thanks for your response.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
I live in the Bloomington, Il area.

The pumps say "87, 89, 91" which I assume is octane, but have the "may contain up to 10% ethanol" disclaimer for all grades, that's why I'm a little confused. This is across the board for all stations here.

I'm not a chemist, so I don't really know. If I up the octane, and they still include ethanol, does that do me any good? And, does it solve my hesitation problem?

Thanks for your response.
The problem is that this varies from state to state.

In many cases - at least in the Midwest - only 89 Octane gasoline has 10% alcohol. However, sometimes all grades have it. If you KNOW that the 87 Octane gas does NOT have alcohol (yes, it should be marked on the pump), try the 87.

What grade have you been running?

Old 07-14-2013, 09:21 PM

87 Octane only.

I made the statement about ethanol on all grades, but I'll have to verify that. I'm pretty sure I saw that, but I won't swear to it.

As for 89 only having ethanol, is that why the higher octane (89 v 87) is always cheaper in Wyoming and NB etc? If that's the case, you've answered my fuel question.

I'm from CA and am new to the midwest, so I don't know all the nuances here.

Thank you for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands