Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 05:35 AM

866 posts, read 4,260,813 times

Advertisements

General Motors has flat out said that they wish to either totally phase out the HUMMER brand or sell it off. They said that they continue to talk with buyers.

Does anyone have any predictions on who the HUMMER buyer may be?

Many of the people that I talk to say that it will probably be sold SAIC of China. Also known as Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 06:34 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,562,595 times
Personally I hope it fades away and I'm not a rabid enviromentalist.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:38 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,024,169 times
The original Hummer is/was something, the other versions are just your average SUV, a disgrace to the name if you ask me, but I'm not a GM fan so I'm not too worried about it's fate.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:46 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,185,368 times
i don't think anyone will. warranted or not, they've become the poster-child for 'what is wrong with America'. no one wants to try and deal with that stigma.

Mike

Old 04-05-2009, 06:47 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,890,387 times
Let it die. Anything past H1 is nothing more than a GM SUV with different body panels and a jacked up price tag. I love my big SUV tow rigs, and still wouldn't miss the Hummer at all.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:22 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,562,595 times
The original company wanted to try to copy the success of the original Jeep. Difference is the Jeep is small, light, fuel efficient (for this type of vehicle in it's time), and can drive on virtually all roads around the world. The original HUMMER could not do this and it was hugely thirsty. I only wish Chrysler had continued using an inline 6 in the Jeep. Not a fast engine but very reliable and was easy to work on. Ford, Chrysler, and GM all had good reliable inline 6 engines. Why couldn't they have used the same engine but with fuel injection and other technological advances? Cousin use to have a dodge truck with a slant 6 engine. Though the truck was falling apart from his abuse, that engine kept on running.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:22 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,871,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
i don't think anyone will. warranted or not, they've become the poster-child for 'what is wrong with America'. no one wants to try and deal with that stigma.

Mike
I don't know that it represents everything wrong with America, but certainly just about everything wrong with the American auto industry. Running around with blinders on, and still just looking down at the ground.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:08 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,918,017 times
Hummer buyers are and will always be the same- emasculated, insecure men desperately overcompensating and their aspirational wives using 7000lb vehicles as fashion accessories.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:17 PM

513 posts, read 1,582,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterguy View Post
General Motors has flat out said that they wish to either totally phase out the HUMMER brand or sell it off. They said that they continue to talk with buyers.

Does anyone have any predictions on who the HUMMER buyer may be?

Many of the people that I talk to say that it will probably be sold SAIC of China. Also known as Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation.
Hummer was, still is and will continue to be a niche product. And God knows how much debt/obligation Hummer has and China is well aware how big a problem Detroit Union is. If something could be worked out with regard to the level of debt buy has to inherit and labor cost, then yeah, indeed, China is the mostly likely buyer simply because China has a lot of newly riches who want precisely the kind of attention and even notoriety Hummer carries.

Old 04-05-2009, 03:35 PM

890 posts, read 3,704,605 times
Let it die...these vehicles have no purpose on the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands