Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 12:02 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,123,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Wow, such a swift rush to judgment about my personal ideology? too bad you're really off base.
I'm not off base. Im from Michigan and GM fed our family and millions more. Im guessing you are young and never worked a blue collar job before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 03:54 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,827,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
The Supercharged Auburn is one of my favorite cars, but Studebaker's use of superchargers was over a longer run. Also their 1953 model could pass for a 1963. Just like AMC though, Studebaker was just couldn't keep up with the tech advances of the big 3.
actually the reason studebaker disbanded was due to a a corporate decision by their parent company, GE. in 1966 GE decided to kill studebaker even though they were still making money. i think had GE not killed studebaker, they would have survived well into the 80, and perhaps into the 90s with no issues as they were a better car line than amc was quality wise, and studebaker had switched to using small block chevys in their cars for the V8 models.

Old 09-26-2014, 05:36 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,612,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Funny that both AMC, and Michigan have failed economically, and George Romney was at one time in charge of both? Did he ever work for GM?
When George Romney ran both, they did very well. It was Romney's successors who screwed things up.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:52 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,131,213 times
George Romney made Rambler the number three make after Chevy and Ford, knocking Plymouth off. When Romney left, his successors revamped American Motors, and ruined a great thing. George Romney was a visionary. He was a great man who should have been elected president in 1968. Michigan prospered under his governorship.

Old 03-12-2015, 01:20 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,969,651 times
Over the years, I owned several RAMBLERS. (there never was a Rambled)
I owned, at one time or another, every model of the AMC Eagle except the Kamback and the convertible. My favorite was the 1983 SX/4 with 5 speed tranny. that was a FUN car to drive!
I wish I still had the '84 wagon with the 5 speed manual tranny. That was a rare car!
I even had a couple of the AMC Jeeps. IMO, they were no better or worse than the Kaiser Jeeps I had.
The AMC Hornet was, IIRC, a re-badged Hudson.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:39 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,983,290 times
MrWillys is correct.
The original Jeep was designed and built by American Bantam Automobile Company.
The only company to meet the government specifications for this pre-WWII utility vehicle.
Then we can get into conspiracy theories as to why Ford and Willys got the contracts.
The stated reason was that American Bantam did not have the manufacturing capacity to build such vehicle. But this was during the Depression and empty facilities were all over the place.

In the early 1950's the last remaining independents attempted to join forces and merger - Studebaker, Packard, Nash, and Hudson.
Only Nash and Hudson completed the merger. Management at Studebaker and Packard had ego issues and declined.
Later Packard did purchase Studebaker. But even then, Packard was shocked at the bad financial situation of Studebaker.

Hudson and Nash dealers remained separate for a few years. All Hudsons were a rebadged Nash.
Rambler was a single model at this time.
Then Romney rebadged all to become Rambler dealerships. Later changing the name of the cars - AMC.

The fall of AMC began with the dropping of the Rambler American. Changing styling and name to the Hornet. Hornet did sell well. But the American was gone

Rambler should have kept the American and placed it's resources to making a 4 cylinder economy car.
The Pinto, the Vega, and later the Chevette and the Horizon came along from the other US manufacturers.
AMC didn't have the funds to make such an economy car.

The final death came with the funds spent on the Pacer. A highly popular sought after car the first year. But once the novelty ran out - the buyers disappeared. AMC was virtually broke.
A relationship with French Renault came about. But that ended too with a change in the French government.

AMC had purchased Jeep from the Kaiser Corporation. And that division was profitable. But the cars were not in the end.

Before this AMC had sold one of it's very profitable divisions - AM General. AM General made government contract vehicles including the infamous Post Office Jeep.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:13 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,044,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrolman View Post
Whenever I think AMC, I shudder to recall the Matador sedans that the LAPD purchased from 1972-1974. Great powertrains (the 401 ci engine was FAST!!), but nothing else to speak of. Being a "bare bones" fleet vehicle, none were equipped with power anything - brakes, steering, windows - A/C and radio delete. I had two Matadors catch fire and burn to the ground while on regular patrol. During a pursuit, I drove over a railroad grade crossing at high speed and all four side windows came off their tracks and dropped down into the doors. I was never so glad to see those vehicles go to salvage and replaced by Plymouth Furys.
Interesting, patrolman. '72-74 was a low point for engine performance across the board, though, due to lowered compression ratio engines to meet emission requirements. The other malfunctions you cite are inexcusable though.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:19 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,044,875 times
RE: AMC ahead of its time. I think its predecessor (Nash) was ahead of its time in styling. I still like its "bathtub" look.

Old 02-12-2016, 08:11 AM

19,119 posts, read 25,316,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
actually the reason studebaker disbanded was due to a a corporate decision by their parent company, GE. in 1966 GE decided to kill studebaker even though they were still making money.

Yes, it was a corporate decision to exit the car business, despite the reality that Studebaker was making a profit after their move to Canada. However, GE had nothing to do with it, as GE was NEVER associated with Studebaker in any way, shape, or form.

Is it possible that you confused Curtiss-Wright with GE?

Old 11-13-2016, 09:58 AM

489 posts, read 1,210,686 times
Old thread but just found it.
In 1971 I ordered a '71 Gremlin X. Good car for my purpose. Even had a sliding accordion type sunroof.
I wore the car out after 5 or 6 years.

Present day.......I picked up a '70 Gremlin about 5 years ago, good condition, original.
I take it to car shows and this car gets unbelievable attention. Some good comments from show goers, some humorous and bad. I actually picked up a few trophies this past summer.

My car show buddy has a '71 Dodge Charger Super Bee and he says he's not going to park next to me anymore as the Gremlin gets all the attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands