Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 08:46 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
When I was looking to replace my first car, my dad took me to a Pontiac dealership. When he saw the car and saw what it was called, he got angry. He use to own a GTO. On it's own, it wasn't that bad a car, but it wasn't a LeMans. It was an Opel Kaddett built in Korea by Daewoo.
Nah, it was a pretty awful car with or without the galling model-name appropriation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 08:56 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Chevy Malibu. Nobody in Malibu would be caught dead driving one of those things.

Pontiac Aztek. Wha?

The Daewoo-based Pontiac LeMans. It takes a lot of nerve to name a 3-cylinder Korean crap-box after most storied automotive race in history.

Suzuki Swift. Not exactly. (Though I have to admit the Swift GT actually did have some decent get-up-and-go.)

Chevy Sprint -- Chevy Limp is more like it.

Hyundai Excel -- it rarely did.

Oldsmobile Intrigue -- a car that involved zero intrigue.

Plymouth Acclaim -- a car that garnered none.

Most inappropriately named cars/trucks

Old 10-20-2014, 09:16 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,579,715 times
Oldsmobile.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:23 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,214,182 times
Default Nova

Renamed the Caribe in South America.

No va. =

"It doesn't go" in Spanish.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:13 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,824,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Ref post #10
They are entirely different. Only a non-car person cannot see it.

Try from the same angle next time if you want to prove a point. Better yet, try side by side and it is noticeable. Grand Am much smaller, Gran Prix much larger. Different fuselage, different hood line, rear. Only the Pontiac shaved beaver front end is common. But that is superficial as the fasica is shaped differently and of course different widths to the vehicle.

It flopped for other reasons.
Nonit doesn't look exactly like(they look better) grand twins, but there is a family resembelence, on a foggy morning, they would look close, unless you compared it to the last gen grand prix- then, no. None of this really matters as the last gen Bonneville was the best looking car of the group, with the last gen Prix in second, the poor Grand Turismo Omolagato is soooo plain looking. I take back what I said; the G8 is second, the Prix- third. The G8 is what the GTO could've been, looks wise.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:16 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,824,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
OMG, is that real?

I always thought the Ford Probe was pretty bad.
Not when it could've been(read: was going to be) Mustang. I'm pretty happy to call rhe Mazda 323 platform; Probe.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:54 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
The Dodge Aries! Good grief, Aries is a fast-racing/sports car type! They should have named it the Dodge Virgo!

Old 10-21-2014, 12:47 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,696,709 times
The Dodge Challenger from the late 70s to mid 80s. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Seriously, the worse name ever is the Chevrolet SS because SS is not a name. I mean call it Chevelle or Impala SS or Clubsport or even gasp a Commodore but not SS. Though Commodore makes the most sense as that is what it actually is. Due to the small effort if any in marketing those who know about this car knows what it actually is already. Plus Chevrolet Commodore does have a nice ring to it. You can even get Lionel Ritchie to buy one. Seriously SS? That is the number one reason why I wouldn't get one though the fact that it comes with a proper gearbox now with MRC. I must admit it will be quite a resistance to not buy the only GM car sold in the US today that is worth my money. I could always rebadge it though.

I knew the Commodore was through once I saw that. GM is putting the minimalist effort into this car. Just so they can try to pile Insignias on Australia's shores and they will rot in dealerships.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:55 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
The Dodge Challenger from the late 70s to mid 80s. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Seriously, the worse name ever is the Chevrolet SS because SS is not a name. I mean call it Chevelle or Impala SS or Clubsport or even gasp a Commodore but not SS. Though Commodore makes the most sense as that is what it actually is. Due to the small effort if any in marketing those who know about this car knows what it actually is already. Plus Chevrolet Commodore does have a nice ring to it. You can even get Lionel Ritchie to buy one. Seriously SS? That is the number one reason why I wouldn't get one though the fact that it comes with a proper gearbox now with MRC. I must admit it will be quite a resistance to not buy the only GM car sold in the US today that is worth my money. I could always rebadge it though.

I knew the Commodore was through once I saw that. GM is putting the minimalist effort into this car. Just so they can try to pile Insignias on Australia's shores and they will rot in dealerships.
SS meant "Super Sport."

Old 10-21-2014, 01:15 AM

3,963 posts, read 5,696,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
SS meant "Super Sport."
I know exactly what it meant. Super Sport is not a name but a trim level and should have stayed that way. Super Sport my arse. Stupid S*** is more fitting. I love the Commodore a chariot befitting of the angels but its nameplate really brings it down. Yes, the 300 is a silly name as well. Lincoln and Cadillac with there letters are silly as well but none of the latter two instances has a history like the SS moniker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands