Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 05:06 AM

105 posts, read 438,145 times

Advertisements

We have a stock 1972 Olds Cutlass S. Rocket 350, a.c., power steering, am radio, set up for the option of having been a 442, which was the last year for that option. The only thing that is not stock on it,is the glass packs. The tires are even stock. It runs like a dream still. Love driving it.

Does anyone have any idea what the value of the car is? It has no rust on it all, has always been in the garage, as has the 65 GTO. I have seen a few of the Cutlass S sell for 10,000, but they were not stock,or even the 442.

Thank you for any answer you can give me. The car has 82,000 miles on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 05:57 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,332,413 times

Nice ride!!

Old 01-05-2009, 08:54 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,775,959 times
Well as you probably know the old car market is hurting right now. I'd need more pics to determine the value (even I'm not a pro by any means) but....

I can speak for this....it wasn't a Cutlass but rather the "cousin" to the Olds Cutlass....I had a 71 Chevelle I sold last Jan:

It was a 396 big block car, auto, 12 bolt rear, posi, bucket seats....on a scale of 1 to 10 I'd rate it about a 6-7. Normally it should have been around a $10k car but I only got $8 for it, and that was after numerous low ball offers.

Your car might be worth a little more.

You could always list it on ebay with your top dollar as the reserve and see how much it bids up to. Also keeping an eye out on ebay for how much one goes for can help determine value.

Something to keep in mind also, is value is in the eye of the buyer.

P.S. the 442 was available after 1972, it just had different meanings over the years.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:59 AM

687 posts, read 2,951,145 times
That body style is very desirable to many. I've seen extremely clean ones, all stock, advertised for $7500 here is Az. A friend has one similar to what you describe, one owner, replacement mag wheels and exhaust, but stock otherwise. He's turned down $4grand cash.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:25 AM

As soon as I can get a picture to download, I will. This is a really clean car. At the moment not interested in selling it. We have always been interested the last couple of years as to how much it would bring. The Olds has even the tires on it that came with the car, and believe or not, they are in great shape. We only drive the car in the spring, summer, and very early fall. But go out, about 2-3 times a month in cold weather and start it up. But, as I said, as soon as I can get the picture to download I will, I have 3 grandkids running around right now, so may have to wait.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:27 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,715,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post

It was a 396 big block car, auto, 12 bolt rear, posi, bucket seats....on a scale of 1 to 10 I'd rate it about a 6-7. Normally it should have been around a $10k car but I only got $8 for it, and that was after numerous low ball offers.
Beautiful car(s) but they are a dime a dozen at any car show in the western hemisphere!

Old 01-05-2009, 01:02 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,058,915 times
If the car is still on 1972 tires, I don't think this is true but your original post says "The tires are even stock" - good grief, replace the tires, they are way too old to be trusted. Beyond that the old OEM tires are actually worth money to serious geeks who will spare no effort to make the car as much like the day it was built as they can.

It's a good car, hard to say what it would be worth. The 442 and particularly the W-30 442 are the ones that are worth the real bucks.

A car from back in the day when each of GM's branches built their own engine, each different, each with some strong points and some not-so-strong points.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:37 PM

687 posts, read 2,951,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Beautiful car(s) but they are a dime a dozen at any car show in the western hemisphere!

but by that reasoning Camaros and Chevelles are a dime a dozen.
I'm not a Olds man, but the 72 2door has a following of even non carnut people for some reason. I think it's the styling, very pleasing to the eye, nice grillework, roof line. etc...a luxo cruiser in some ways. Actually better looking than a 72 Chevelle imo.
Can't think of a 72 Fomoco product with that visual pull.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:57 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,775,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
HA! I wished they were a dime a dozen! Seems like every Chevelle I see for sale they want a lot of money for it. Don't even get me started on Camaros.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:21 AM

I love the classic cars, so much better looking then today's cars. But, I did go out and look at the tires, and I am sorry, they aren't stock, but the spare tire is!! We also have a friend that has one of the first ringtail camaros (hope I'm right on the make) he just retired and is starting work on it. The 65 GTO that is also in the garage, is getting work done on it also. We just put in the new interior last year and the next project which the better half and his son are going to do, is putting a new motor into. Both of these cars we love to drive, and they are so much fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands