Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 02:30 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times

Advertisements

Today, I heard Betty White comment that she had no idea of the other "Golden Girls" ages and that she was actually the oldest one!

She's so sweet in her comments but how many of you have friends/acquaintenances that have no idea how old you are?

(My mom was like that; she never talked about age, however, we gave her a 70th birthday party one year and months after the party, she said something like - well, it was so nice of all of you to do that, however, my friends were shocked to know I was 70!) My dad was 7 years younger and my mom had kids into her 40's (she got married at 34 - in those days, that was different!)

Just wondering if the "age thing" ever goes away?

Do you know your friends' ages?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 02:33 PM

254 posts, read 415,018 times
Come to think of it...strangely enough, I know most of my friends ages, but most were not aware of mine. A lot of my friends are early to mid twenty-somethings, met through work. Some of them were very surprised when they asked how old I was on my birthday and found out I was 29. I get a lot of comments that I don't look my age at all. Everyone thinks I'm 22 or 23.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:32 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
No one believes us when we tell them we are 62. We both look to be in our mid fifties.

I know the ages of most friends and family.

Old 06-15-2010, 03:38 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,262,871 times
Yes I know my friends ages & they know mine. My mother was always honest about her age too.

I never understood why anyone would lie about it. If you lie, people think, wow, you look terrible! If you tell the truth, they say, You can't be that old! Now, which is better? A compliment or an agast look while they try to cover it up?

Old 06-15-2010, 03:49 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Today, I heard Betty White comment that she had no idea of the other "Golden Girls" ages and that she was actually the oldest one!

Yep. As a matter of fact, I even know most of their birthdates.

BTW, on a side note, the thing that I remember most from the Golden Girls was that even though Estelle Getty played Bea Arthur's mother on the show, she was actually a year or so younger than B.A.

Old 06-15-2010, 04:29 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,466,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post

She's so sweet in her comments but how many of you have friends/acquaintenances that have no idea how old you are?

(My mom was like that; she never talked about age, however, we gave her a 70th birthday party one year and months after the party, she said something like - well, it was so nice of all of you to do that, however, my friends were shocked to know I was 70!) My dad was 7 years younger and my mom had kids into her 40's (she got married at 34 - in those days, that was different!)

Just wondering if the "age thing" ever goes away?

You would think 20 years into a friendship a person that's as close as a sister, would stop asking me my age. Said friend was privy to my in the beginning and many time since, but over the years kept forgetting. But I knew she wanted to do something special for my fiftieth. So, she and friends of ours, threw a party at a area club, to celibrate my big 50. It was a great time had by all, but, gosh, I've not been able to live that year down to this day. Some in the group just have to ask every new person that meets me to guess my age. It's quite annoying.

So I guess as it stands now, just about all my friends know my age.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:33 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
It's just another meaningless number. What's important is how you live your life.

Old 06-15-2010, 05:36 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Yes, we know most of our friend's ages.

Another Betty, Bette Davis, had this to say about the increase in years, "There ain't nothin' about aging for sissies!"

Old 06-15-2010, 08:49 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,559,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Yes, we know most of our friend's ages.

Another Betty, Bette Davis, had this to say about the increase in years, "There ain't nothin' about aging for sissies!"
Actually, what Bette said was "Getting old ain't for sissies"...

Old 06-16-2010, 11:02 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
That works too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement