Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 05:34 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
It's very simple. Federal employees do not receive raises based on the cost of living and haven't in decades. Their raises are based on the Emplyment Cost Index (ECI) which measures how much wages in the private sector have risen in the past year, not the Consumer Price Index (CPI) which measures inflation. And in fact, Congress and the President usually reduce it to less than the ECI.

If you want to try to compare apples to apples, then you should compare SS/SSI to federal retirees. And you no doubt will be happy to learn that federal retirees will not be receiving an increase in their monthly annuities this year because those "raises" are based on the CPI, just like Social Security.

It's a very simple system but I'll lay it out again:

Federal employees salaries rise in relation to private sector salaries.

Federal retirees monthly payments rise (or don't rise) using the exact same criteria as Social Security increases.
They are employeees not part of a trust . Much different thing.The system is the system and you can not rely on it one times to promote a 4.8% raise in COL and then want to ignore it when it drops or remains the same.Basacvailly the SS system is already facing financial problems as a trust of supplement to retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2010, 10:10 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,719,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post
~

Ask yourself one question...

Why did federal employees receive a cost of living raise
this year when those on SS/SSI did not [seniors/disabled
were told no inflation = no raise.]

Federal employees are scheduled to receive another raise in 2011.

~
Mrs. Tek is a Fed and she says that's not true.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:11 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,719,218 times
Quote:
The federal government will tax you anyway.
If the $250 doesn't go to the old and infirm,
the feds will send it on something else.
Pick a war, any war.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:18 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,028,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Mrs. Tek is a Fed and she says that's not true.
Mrs. Tek will be happy to learn that she is wrong. Federal employees are on track to receive a 1.4% raise in January.

Bill with 1.4 percent federal pay raise clears Senate committee (7/30/10) -- GovExec.com

Old 08-03-2010, 07:38 PM

9 posts, read 17,888 times
Quote:
~

No COLA in 2010 or 2011...

It may not seem like much to some people,
but to seniors and disabled who depend
on SS/SSI, an extra $250 is a God-send.

~
It's only a ONE TIME deal. It will not happen in future years unless they legislate it again.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:25 AM

548 posts, read 2,098,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Basacvailly the SS system is already facing financial problems as a trust of supplement to retirement.
Factually incorrect. Social Security is financially sound, has always been sound, will remain sound for at least 40 years, and need only minor tweaking beyond that.

Republicans and the Wall Street fraudsters peddle this nonsense to trick the public into accepting privatization.

If Wall Street, "Helicopter" Ben Bernanke, Timothy Geitner, Larry Summers, and Goldman Sachs ever get their dirty hands on the Social Security trust fund that money will disappear into the black hole of multi-million dollar bonuses, bogus derivatives, corporate fraud, and insider crooked dealing in the blinking of an eye.

Thank God for Social Security. It's all that sustains many of our seniors and disabled after their lifetime of hard work and sacrifice for the country and their families.

Old 08-04-2010, 04:34 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,378,869 times
what really ticks me off is obama has given every drug addict a cell phone..now they call to have their drugs delivered when did it become govts job to provide phone service? if I was young today I would just live in a new condo,eat food ,and health care provided by the govt and if I needed a big screen tv I would sell drugs...its the new Americain way

Old 08-04-2010, 09:22 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,451,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Yeah, the initial bill usually neglects to include CSRS retirees, but an amendment is invariably added to other legislation to accomplish this. At least that's what has happened in the past.
Good point. I'm sure NARFE will be in their face about it.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:28 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,451,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
what really ticks me off is obama has given every drug addict a cell phone..now they call to have their drugs delivered when did it become govts job to provide phone service?
If you really believe that, you probably won't believe this:

The Obama Phone? | FactCheck.org
Q: Has the Obama administration started a program to use "taxpayer money" to give free cell phones to welfare recipients?

A: No. Low-income households have been eligible for discounted telephone service for more than a decade. But the program is funded by telecom companies, not by taxes, and the president has nothing to do with it.
But this is WAY off topic for the retirement forum.

Old 08-04-2010, 09:42 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,028,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htlong View Post
what really ticks me off is obama has given every drug addict a cell phone..now they call to have their drugs delivered when did it become govts job to provide phone service? if I was young today I would just live in a new condo,eat food ,and health care provided by the govt and if I needed a big screen tv I would sell drugs...its the new Americain way
Let me guess: you received an e-mail in your inbox that had been fw:fw:fw:fw ad nauseum advising you of this "fact."

Wait...wait... you read it on the Internet so it must be true, right?

Do you always get ticked off by baseless urban legends?

Here's some advice for you: next time you read or hear about something completely ridiculous and idiotic, do some research before posting it so you don't make yourself look silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement