Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 08:09 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times

Advertisements

Being that this is Florida - we have 2 categories of seniors - "junior seniors" - those between 65 and 80 - and "senior seniors" - those over 80. Each category is very different from the other in terms of a lot of things.

I read through some threads here tonight - and I have to tell you - some of you who are in your 50's - talking about moving to places like the Villages - well you sound like you're 80+. My father is 92 - and since he moved here more than 3 years ago after my mom died - to an independent senior living facility - well he takes care of himself - goes to university classes at UNF - goes to concerts/shows in downtown JAX (facility provides transportation to downtown - but he drives to places like Publix) - etc. Place where he lives has a community diining room for dinner - that's nice IMO.

OTOH - my father is in exceptional health for his age. For most "senior seniors" - they're in worse shape than he is. And it pays to be alert to the things one will need as one ages (whether you're the elder - or the child of the elder). Living in an age/physical/mental appropriate place is one. Living near one's kids is another (I don't care how kind your neighbors are when you're 60 and sprain an ankle - they're not going to help a bunch when you're 80+ and have serious medical problems).

FWIW - my husband and I are in our 60's - and the Villages gives us the creeps. Sounds like a bunch of 60 year old people living like they're 80. Also - based on the experiences a couple of my father's friends (80+) had with the place - it's easy to buy - hard to sell and move back to JAX (or elsewhere) these days if you don't like it.

It has been a surprise to us - but JAX has turned into a major medical center in the last decade (it's nice having Mayo Jax a 10 minute drive from our house). Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 09:54 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
Being that this is Florida - we have 2 categories of seniors - "junior seniors" - those between 65 and 80 - and "senior seniors" - those over 80. Each category is very different from the other in terms of a lot of things.

What do you call seniors who are not yet 65, but who have retired and live even in over 55 places , get those senior discounts at Rosses et.al. (often without asking ) and certainly are seniors ?

We could be "baby seniors"..........

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-28-2010, 03:56 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,423,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post

I read through some threads here tonight - and I have to tell you - some of you who are in your 50's - talking about moving to places like the Villages - well you sound like you're 80+. My father is 92 - and since he moved here more than 3 years ago after my mom died - to an independent senior living facility - well he takes care of himself - goes to university classes at UNF - goes to concerts/shows in downtown JAX (facility provides transportation to downtown - but he drives to places like Publix) - etc. Place where he lives has a community diining room for dinner - that's nice IMO.

OTOH - my father is in exceptional health for his age. For most "senior seniors" - they're in worse shape than he is. And it pays to be alert to the things one will need as one ages (whether you're the elder - or the child of the elder). Living in an age/physical/mental appropriate place is one. Living near one's kids is another (I don't care how kind your neighbors are when you're 60 and sprain an ankle - they're not going to help a bunch when you're 80+ and have serious medical problems).

FWIW - my husband and I are in our 60's - and the Villages gives us the creeps. Sounds like a bunch of 60 year old people living like they're 80. Also - based on the experiences a couple of my father's friends (80+) had with the place - it's easy to buy - hard to sell and move back to JAX (or elsewhere) these days if you don't like it.

It has been a surprise to us - but JAX has turned into a major medical center in the last decade (it's nice having Mayo Jax a 10 minute drive from our house). Robyn
I feel the need to respond. Not all 55+ communities cater to those you you refer to as "senior seniors". My husband and I (he's 59, I'm 56) are considering a move to a Del Webb community within the next year or 2. The average age of residents is mid-60s and it is a very active community. There are many people, like us, who are still working full time and constantly on the go. We're in excellent health, my husband runs marathons and is currently training for a triathalon. What draws us to this community is the lifestyle and comraderie. We'll likely continue working for another 9 yrs. I love the idea of one level living and the social aspects of the 34,000 sf clubhouse! Indoor pool, outdoor pool, tennis, gym etc!

I have a younger friend whose parents (mid-60s) moved to The Villages a couple of years ago and are extremely happy. They golf, socialize, travel and just enjoy their lives down there. OTOH, my husband's mom is almost 91 and still lives independently in her own home back in New England.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. We haven't made a final decision about moving but we most certainly don't act and live like 80 yr olds.

Old 04-28-2010, 05:27 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
I feel the need to respond....
Different strokes for different folks I guess. We haven't made a final decision about moving but we most certainly don't act and live like 80 yr olds.
Thank you for your comments. The OP's remarks struck me as unrealistic, condescending and ungenerous.

People have different temperaments first of all; added to which we do not age at the same rate or in the same way.

Quite frankly, I find a great many people's retirement plans, or lives, sound like they run a narrow gamut from boring to living hell. But the catch is, of course, they sound like that to me, not to folks that are making these choices. And the choices are being made to suit their lives, not mine.

Americans are fortunate that there are so many different types of retirement living options available, and that they offer such varied lifestyles.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:22 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
You make some good points. There is another thread where the OP feels there is a correlation between the lifestyle you lead and whether you would be happy in a 55+ community/senior, and I think he has really good points also.

We don't like to go on cruises, stay at resorts, group tours, etc. and also dislike the type of community living in a 55+ complex. Absolutely abhore HOAs. We prefer flying to a place or country and exploring by ourselves, renting a condo versus hotel, touring sights that interest us, not necessarily a group, and meeting local people. We love to go RVing and have met great people and friends. Our neighbors are great but they aren't going to help us go to the bathroom when we are laid up; need to live near family in times of need.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:31 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
it is not the places that give the creeps it is our most uncomfortable perception of aging and the death process that americans have not come to grips with. the senior homes are just a collective statement of the fact shouting really loud, we eventually die.
the life cycle is not something that americans embrace and as the child becomes the parent it becomes far less comforting exposure to the fact that it is indeed just that, a cycle. to a salmon the notion that he climbed a mountain just to become dinner is incredulous.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:08 AM

956 posts, read 1,234,812 times
Mostly I'm just really excited to learn this morning that I'm a VERY junior "senior"!!! LOL That's the best news I've had in a long time.

But given how long we're living these days I think 55 is way too early to be considered senior. And the 50 cutoff for AARP is absolutely crazy, but I understand the reasons for that.

All that said, I don't think anyone should criticize what others in their age group choose to do. We moved to Florida 10 years ago and chose not to live in a retirement community because we wanted to live among a diversity of age groups.

The Villages, for us, are a little too Disney-esque. We went there to visit and I expected the yellow brick road to be around the next corner. Still, I completely understand why it's so attractive to so many people even though it's just not my thing (btw, for anyone not knowing, The Villages is not a retirement community). It is a manufactured "village" in the middle of nowhere.

So as someone said, different strokes. Whether we're young or old we all have different lifestyles and "stuff" we enjoy and we choose accordingly.

The only word worse than "senior" for me is "elderly". But I'd rather not be pigeonholed at all. I'm just a person feeling exactly the same inside as I've felt all my life. I know I'm getting older everyday and I don't need where I live or the choices I make to remind me of it.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:31 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,447,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
My wife (57) and I (58) were compelled by the housing bubble bursting to postpone our plans to relocate, and who knows, we may end up staying right here for many years to come.

But we decided many years ago that one state we had no interest in was Florida. I know it works for many, many people, and more power to them. But we have no desire to move to a state known, in part, for their large "senior" population ... especially if seniors are commonly divided into junior (younger) and senior (older) seniors.

Frankly, my ideal retirement community would be a small college town with a diverse population - diverse in every way, but especially diverse in age. I had enough of "old people" during my last few years of work - I have no desire to retire to a community filled with seniors, or to a state that has so many seniors they divide them into two categories. I think that would make me age all the faster.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:50 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,423,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
My wife (57) and I (58) were compelled by the housing bubble bursting to postpone our plans to relocate, and who knows, we may end up staying right here for many years to come.

But we decided many years ago that one state we had no interest in was Florida. I know it works for many, many people, and more power to them. But we have no desire to move to a state known, in part, for their large "senior" population ... especially if seniors are commonly divided into junior (younger) and senior (older) seniors.

Frankly, my ideal retirement community would be a small college town with a diverse population - diverse in every way, but especially diverse in age. I had enough of "old people" during my last few years of work - I have no desire to retire to a community filled with seniors, or to a state that has so many seniors they divide them into two categories. I think that would make me age all the faster.
I understand what you're saying. I have no interest in FL either - it's just not my "cup of tea". We plan on staying in the Raleigh/Durham area of NC as we love living here (moved from New England 2 yrs ago). Diverse area, great schools (Duke, UNC, NCSU), great healthcare, etc. We are currently thinking about downsizing in the near future and have considered a lovely 55+ community close by. We've met several people who live there and love it. We've got plenty of time to decide what's right for us as we're in no rush.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:05 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
Just want to point out that I've spent my whole adult life in Florida (since 1971) - so this is "home" for me - not a place I moved to when I retired. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement