Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 08:26 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,514,813 times

Advertisements

Doubt I'd even want to vacation in Belize after reading this:

Belize
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 12:57 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,212,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
....I investigated several countries (and even live-aboard sailboating), in the past, but concluded that 'cheaper living(?)' alone was not enough -- What may sound like a romantic ideal, quickly comes face-to-face with the reality of day-to-day living. I agree with Brightdoglover--Find a mobile home or less expensive area of the U.S. --- if lower cost is your only reason for moving out of the USA.
Cheap, cheap, cheap is the criterion and people start looking at countries that are impoverished and say, "Oh, no yeck................I couldn't do thaaaaaaaaaaaat!!!" That kind of approach makes no more sense than moving to some roach and rat-infested neighborhood in the U.S. It's a non-starter.

But I think you can do a lot better than a trailer in some "less expensive" part of the U.S. There are countries with a lower cost of living that are not hell holes of poverty and where the amenties are sufficient for all but the most spoiled American.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:29 AM

3,798 posts, read 5,341,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Afghanistan
North Korea
Zimbabwe

I'm sure it is a joke, but I also think the poster is trying to make a point. He can tell me if I'm wrong.

I think the point is that "cheap" places to retire have their problems and that is why they are cheap. I personally wouldn't want to retire in a place where I was surrounded by an ocean of poor, impoverished people, while I lived something resembling the "good life".

People who do not have the means for a good retirement here in the USA have a couple of choices. They can (1) Try to work longer until about age 70; or (2) They can try to retire cheaply by living in a mobile home as some have suggested. This coupled with a parttime job such as "door greeter" at Walmart can make a lot of difference.
Yes it was a joke, but a sarcastic one at that. I guess that I read too many "Retire in .... Ecuador (or Belize, Panama, Thailand, etc.)" posts and wanted to stretch people's imagination just a bit further.

Your point about retiring in an ocean of impoverished people is well put. 'Tis better to live lower on the food chain in such a situation; i.e., appear NOT to be well-off. This was the message of The Millionaire Next Door series.

But, there are some countries out there that do not have oceans of impoverished people. Looking at population statistics helps, such as per capita income. There are middle income countries that allow Escape-from-America types to live better than in the USA, but still have basic services and safety. You won't live like a King, but you will probably survive longer than one. Kevxu said the same in his post right above this.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:09 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,224,291 times
I have a friend that retired in Costa Rica and they moved back because of her husband's Alzheimers because of medical treatment is more advanced here.

I lived in Panama Canal Zone years and years ago for 5 years. The things I think you need to consider are that you are not a citizen and in that part of the world justice is different. Meat was brahma and tough, chickens were fed fish meal and tasted a little like fish as did the eggs. It is hot all year even in winter. The other thing was that many didn't think there was anything wrong to steal from you because you were an American and had lots of money compared to them.

I liked living there but after awhile you just want to come home.

I live on less than 2K a month in a nice house.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:49 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,186,023 times
Also agree with brightdoglover -- many lakes in the south have very cheap cabins for sale - also I know in many of the Texas small towns you can get homes for $50,000 or less..an hour or two from Dallas or the other big cities. In the cities you can often find inexpensive condos which were previously apartments. As long as you find one in fairly good repair in a safe area and don't get hit with a big assessment you would be golden.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:24 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,521,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Doubt I'd even want to vacation in Belize after reading this:

Belize

The general safety part in Belize is exactly what I found when in Belize. Not very safe, approached by lots in the streets, trying to sell stuff, pot, and pushy.
Housing is also very expensive, especially in Punta Gorda and other nice areas.
Many places I would choose over Belize.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:29 PM

948 posts, read 2,794,164 times
A friend of mine returned from there a little over a year ago - He and his wife were managing some parts of a tourist resort - after being there for some time they got comfortable - started to explore a bit more since the resort, although nice wasn't much - next thing you know my friend was in "jungle jail", a bit of bread, small rations of water, and 5 gallon bucket. Luckily he had enough $ on a credit card to pay the judge. Him and his wife immediately A-lined it home - economy is tough down there right now from what he said, with fewer Europeans and Americans being able to afford luxury travel there is less $ coming in, which in turn has increased crime and corruption, and if your an outsider leaving an "Americanized" resort doesn't sound like a good idea.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:33 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,514,813 times
I guess one important consideration if you're retired is health care. Medicare doesn't cover health care abroad - and even the best Medigap policies only have very limited coverage (suitable at best for occasional travel - not living). And lots of countries that aren't even third world have problems in their health care delivery systems. E.g., a doctor friend of ours needed semi-emergency surgery in Moscow - but wound up flying to Scandinavia to get the surgery due to concerns about contaminated blood supplies.

FWIW - there are a lot of pretty cheap places to live here in north Florida. Mostly rural and somewhat rednecky - but usually within an hour or so of a civilized area (like JAX or Tallahassee or Lake City). Robyn

Old 08-18-2010, 04:12 PM

5,332 posts, read 6,030,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
FWIW - there are a lot of pretty cheap places to live here in north Florida. Mostly rural and somewhat rednecky - but usually within an hour or so of a civilized area (like JAX or Tallahassee or Lake City). Robyn

The "rednecky" thing just made me spit out my coffee! I was recently told by a friend that she and her husband left their beautiful home in Jacksonville, FL because she found she could not tolerate living among the Jacksonville "rednecks." Really. I don't think she'd agree that JAX is "civilized."

Old 08-18-2010, 05:47 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,521,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
I have a friend that retired in Costa Rica and they moved back because of her husband's Alzheimers because of medical treatment is more advanced here.

I lived in Panama Canal Zone years and years ago for 5 years. The things I think you need to consider are that you are not a citizen and in that part of the world justice is different. Meat was brahma and tough, chickens were fed fish meal and tasted a little like fish as did the eggs. It is hot all year even in winter. The other thing was that many didn't think there was anything wrong to steal from you because you were an American and had lots of money compared to them.

I liked living there but after awhile you just want to come home.

I live on less than 2K a month in a nice house.
There are a few places south of the Border that are safe, inexpensive with excellent medical care. Several have expat buy in programs.
If homesick, fly back for a month a year and you still qualify for the 330 day a year fed tax exemption.
It can be done, did it. Some places you must be tolerant and learn "when in Rome".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement